Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 11:34 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times

Advertisements

Hate the State's politics and most of its politicians these days. Love Austin, the Hill Country, the topographical and natural diversity of Texas as a whole, the fact that I was born in Corpus Christi and have spent many largely happy years living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Dislike: Heat and humidity. The politics. Lack of mass transit. The sprawl (though even that isn't as evil as some on CD would have you believe).
Like: Diversity in cultures of the Texas Triangle. Diversity in topography. The food. The football-centric culture. The generally great people. The women. A whole lot of other stuff!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Where in Texas do you live? For whatever reason, I've imagined that Aussies would love Texas.
I imagine it would depend upon the circumstances. I also have a suspicion that what we think we know about Australians is one huge stereotype.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I imagine it would depend upon the circumstances. I also have a suspicion that what we think we know about Australians is one huge stereotype.
True, but myself has heard a few times that the Aussies are Texans overseas counterparts lol

Old 05-12-2011, 06:19 AM

543 posts, read 1,382,135 times
Like:
Weather during winter
Nice people

Dislike:
Weather during the rest of the year
Politics
It's not very asthetically pleasing (Hill Country doesn't do it for me either)
Mass Transit (or lack thereof)
Sprawl
I-35

Old 06-08-2011, 05:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,202 times
Hate the weather! Freeway, Houston has some ignorant n racist ppl! There's nothing fun around here, I cant wait to go back to Cali I at least get to see the beautiful blue oceans and snow white mountains!!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:20 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimki View Post
Hate the weather! Freeway, Houston has some ignorant n racist ppl! There's nothing fun around here, I cant wait to go back to Cali I at least get to see the beautiful blue oceans and snow white mountains!!
I always find it funny that usually Californians first posts on here are anti-Texan.

No shock there...

Old 06-14-2011, 12:05 PM

10 posts, read 28,044 times
Default Hm. What I don't like about Texas

Well, I currently live in downtown Dallas. This area is fine, but the region is ugly. Sprawl, and then after that, sort of boring landscape. There's no land around here that I know of that's not developed or cleared and cultivated/grazed. Well, there is, but not a lot. It's rare to see even a small patch of land that hasn't been used for something. I know that's how things go, but we're really lacking in natural beauty in these parts.

My biggest issue is the heat. I mean it is really hot here and I do not like that. Just hope to survive until winter, which in Texas is pretty awesome.

But I dislike the politics. Lived in Austin for a long time and now in central Dallas where it's pretty liberal, but I work in various Dallas/Fort Worth suburbs and, wow, I just don't agree with anyone out there. And survey research indicates that most of the state disagrees with me on just about everything. I don't care that it's conservative, but I sure would like it if there were a little more balance.

Anyway, I really like Texas and hate to gripe about it. But the landscape around Dallas/Fort Worth is so boring and you have to drive a pretty good ways to get to something different. Just last weekend I took a short trip out to East Texas and it was so refreshing. But at least I have the option to see different things even if it means I gotta drive.

I love the hill country and miss Austin dearly. What I didn't like about Austin is its lack of great museums and other "fine arts" like a world class orchestra, etc. But it made up for that with awesome people and a great music scene. Like I alluded to earlier, I love East Texas and its great forests, especially around the Nacogdoches area. Went to the panhandle once and it was fun. Palo Duro was awesome. I've gone through West Texas on my way to California and back for college and would love to go back to actually visit it. Beautiful place.

I even like Houston a lot. People will think I'm weird, but the ship channel amazes me. The history of Galveston is interesting, and even though I wouldn't consider that place beautiful, it's fun. My favorite coastal destination is Port Aransas.

Anyway, I love Dallas because that's where I grew up. I'm not really sure if I'd like it if not for that, but who knows? Maybe I would. There's no shortage of things to do around here. You can go to see the Dallas Symphony one night and the next night have a blast at an indie rock show in Denton.

Last edited by debaser; 06-14-2011 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: didn't fully answer the question

Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 PM

113 posts, read 297,041 times
Like-Nothing
Dislike-Everything

Old 06-16-2011, 01:41 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternMan015 View Post
Like-Nothing
Dislike-Everything
This is what we in Texas call a "Fair Trade-Off": You don't live here and we are glad you don't.

Now, if you DO live here and like nothing about it but hate everything about it? Then it is just a different kind of trade-off. That is to say, we will match your dislikes with a standing offer to buy you a one-way means of transporation out of here. Reckon, ain't that fair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas