Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 06:02 PM

28 posts, read 136,445 times

Advertisements

hi y'all,we've visited south padre island a couple of times and loved it.once we got off the island it looked very poverty stricken.i was just wondering if there were any good area's in the valley because we like mild winters.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 09:27 AM

62 posts, read 458,928 times
BlueDog, I'm just going to copy and paste my previous post below. yes, many areas of the valley are poverty stricken, but of course, as with anywhere, gems can be found in poverty stricken areas (for any negative aspect of a place, there are most likely positive attributes as well), you just have to look for them. South Padre is very nice (not perfect), and parts of the vally are nice as well, but your intial perception was probably accurate. It just depends what you're looking for, and you have to see for yourself! Yes, the winters are very mild, but the tradeoff of that is that summers are VERY hot and humid. (Incidently, when reading below 'Brownsville' could probably be substituted for the 'lower rio grande valley', in most cases).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Max77, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND MOVING TO BROWNSVILLE. Brownsville has the largest concentration of rude people (for example, watch a person ahead of you when they enter a store as they scury to get through the door so they don't have to hold it for you as you're coming behind them) of any city I've ever been to, has been taken over by illegals, is run by corrupt politicians (see the article in Aug Texas Monthly about former county sheriff Cantu), is about 50 years behind the times in just about every aspect (health care, technology.....RECYCLING??? What's that?), and the schools suck, but that's more of a state-wide problem.

I live in South Padre Island, which is a completely different town, with nice, friendly people, and only go to Brownsville when I need to go to Home Depot, or, I unfortunately have to pass through Brownsville on my way to Matamoros to eat (there are some wonderful restaurants across the border where you get great service and incredible food for a very reasonable price.)

Let me put it this way, I've got many friends in SPI who are from many different parts of the country, and they all like SPI, but hate the valley for the reasons listed above. I used to live up north and have lived around Texas, and I used to think 'yankees' were rude , but they have nothing on the folks of the Rio Grande Valley (I'm a big fan of Southern Hospitality). We all get very frustrated at how backwards most things in the valley are.

I also have a lot of friends who have lived in Brownsville and the valley all their life, or are from Mexico (some illegal, some legal), and they all love the valley. I've talked to many of them about this and the consensus seems to be that they either, one, don't know of any other places, as they've never been anywhere else to compare, and two, those that have come from Mexico find Brownsville, to be a much better alternative than living a life of poverty in Mexico.

Of course, you should visit and decide for yourself, but I recommend living in South Padre, as it would be a much nicer place to raise kids, if you indeed want to take the job in Matamoros. You would have a 30-45 minute commute. Housing IS much cheaper in Brownsville. 150k-180k won't get you much in SPI, maybe an older 2 bedroom condo in a high rise. To get the amount of home you'd get in Brownsville for 150k, you'd have to spend a minimum of 500k on SPI, but probably more than that. If renting is an option for you however, some good rental deals can still be found in SPI (my neighbor rents his 3 bedroom townhome with garage and yard for $1500/month). There probably are some nice, safe housing areas in Brownsville, but if it were up to me, I just wouldn't want myself or my family in the type of environment that is Brownsville.

I don't know where in the east you're from, but I've found that many people are very dissapointed when they come from forward-thinking, well planned towns, with smart, honest people, nice people, because Brownsville and most of the valley, is quite the opposite.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:51 PM

14 posts, read 109,997 times
Lightbulb Come and see for yourself!

Dear Bluedog,

I truly recommend that you come and see for yourself. The wealthy people of the Valley have to live somewhere....right! There are some very wealthy districts in McAllen, Mission, and Harlingen........just to name a few. There are plenty of Country Clubs, private schools, and amenities.

I personally was born and raised in the district of Sharyland in Mission. I have had the opportunity to watch it grow from a speratic ranch town to one of the fasting growing metropolitan areas in the Country. I have seen over my thirty some year’s large corporations take notice bringing in Grande developments like the Sharyland Plantation. A City within the City that in over tropically landscaped 6,000 acre master-planned community combining the best of homes, recreation and conveniences. Many chain stores and restaurants like Target, Home Depot, Lowes, Applebee's, Chili's, and Hooters. I really feel that it may not be Manhattan or New York. But, it is a great place to raise a family with great intercultural values. Most of the children can speak English and Spanish.

Poverty and racism is like everything else, it is in the eye of the beholder. I personally have seen that many Hispanics associate the Anglo's with success and a higher social status. Valleyites cater to Winter Texans, Anglo's, and are typically ready to serve anyone.

I have to admit that due to being close to the border, we do have many people come across illegally to try to make a better life for their children. You will find poverty in all areas in every race. It is not unusual for the poor to work up to three jobs to support their family and take pride in the little they have. It is like the food chain without them our lives would be difficult. It takes them to assist the successful with all the things they have to sacrifice to be successful. It is the poor who usually work in the homes as maids, nannies, gardeners, and so much more.

I hope you enjoy the best parts of the Valley.........concerts at the Dodge Arena, movies at the park by Sharyland Plantation, Padre Island, bird watching at Quinta Mazatlan, multi-cultural art at Nuevo Santander, and most of all the excellent international cuisine at La Espana, Bistro M, and Sante Fe Steak House. Don't forget to try the Sushi at Kumori's and Kohnami's, and Shogun Steak House!

Old 11-06-2006, 08:46 PM

28 posts, read 136,445 times
valley born and raised,
thanks for the info,i'll check it out next time i'm in town.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:17 PM

80 posts, read 401,167 times
Valley is a great place with great people.
Summer's are killer though.
On the poverty observation, the RGV has some of the worst poverty in the country.
If you've never seen a "Colonia" with your own eyes, you will be suprised that these exist in the USA.
Real eye-opening experience.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:12 AM

14 posts, read 109,997 times
Default I don't cruise the Colonies.....do you?

Bluedog,

Yes, we have colonies but, I have lived here all my thirty two years and have yet to go colonia cruising. Call me silly but, I tend to have my routine of places I like to go to and stay away from those areas. Well, unless we have a church out reach.

Just stay on the beating path and to things you love. By the way, South Padre Island has had a real face lift over the last few years. You should check it out!
Actually the Valley is one of the fastest growing MSA area in the country! We are booming!

Take care!

Old 02-08-2007, 01:13 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,075,384 times
If you decide to move to South Padre, you are zoned to Point Isabel ISD schools. All are in Port Isabel.
*Garriga Elementary School (Grades K-2)
*Derry Elementary School, (3-5)
*Port Isabel Junior High School (6-8)
*Port Isabel High School (9-12)

In addition, your child may apply to South Texas ISD magnet schools. STISD allows anyone in Cameron, Hidalgo and Willacy counties to apply for schools. STISD has three 9-12 high schools (two in Mercedes and one in San Benito) and one 7-12 school in Edinburg.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:59 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
I was in SPI this last weekend. Very small. Extraordinarly expensive housing.. for the costs of housing there.. might as well be living in California.

The true charm of the Valley itself is that housing is affordable and you'll be able to pay it off sometime in your own lifetime. I liked the feeling of everywhere I drove around.

Found the freeways to be relatively empty compared to most other regions of the U.S. with large populations.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 7,927 times
I too was raised in the Valley. I am however very fortunate to have gotten out of that cesspool. The Valley is a dirty, drug infested area. The people neglect their animals and will steal you blind if you turn your back. It's just considered part of the culture. As for going in to Mexico to work good luck they close the bridge down on regular basis due to murders by drug cartel. I know cause my father in law is having to work across the border because the company has moved over their. As for SPI the people of the Valley have no respect. The litter you will see is repulsive! Plenty of trash barrels but for some reason I guess it's easier just to leave trash around or next to it.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:29 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,714,689 times
The Valley is hell, but it's better than living in a lot of other places in this world. It certainly has cleaned itself up lately, but the problem is the type of industry and jobs available down there do nothing to raise the quality of living for most people. Living on SPI gets old really quick.

But despite all these issues, the #1 reason why i got out as fast as I could was because of the weather. The humidity is devastating and the heat lasts too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas