Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 05:26 AM

64 posts, read 144,470 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I will in west tx (in Amarillo exactly) for christmas eve weekend. I will be with my wife no kids.
Ideas for things to do?
Ideas for diners, restaurants?
How do you guys like the Amarillo area?
Any chance for white Christmas
Are brownies (SE asian) welcome in west tx. (Had nice exp in East tx )

Thanks as always
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 03:45 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,697,058 times
I was in Amarillo on Christmas and New Year few years ago. Only thing open was China Star Buffet on I-40. and it was full of foreign students from WTAMU. Whole city is deserted and closed on Christmas and New year except foreign owned business. Go to China Star. People are nice and friendly here in Amarillo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by namesake1981 View Post
Hi,
I will in west tx (in Amarillo exactly) for christmas eve weekend. I will be with my wife no kids.
Ideas for things to do?
Ideas for diners, restaurants?
How do you guys like the Amarillo area?
Any chance for white Christmas
Are brownies (SE asian) welcome in west tx. (Had nice exp in East tx )

Thanks as always

Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,721,917 times
Eat at The Big Texan Steak Ranch and take a walk around Palo Duro Canyon near Canyon,TX.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:16 AM

751 posts, read 1,484,462 times
It will be tough finding much of anything open later than mid-afternoon on Christmas eve in Amarillo. I would not even know where to send you to look for a place, as most shut down early to let employees spend time with family, and the fact that business shrivels to nothing anyway.

As for a white Christmas, who knows? I have not seen many white Christmas' in the Texas Panhandle, but there have been a few. That said, in Amarillo white is almost ALWAYS accompanied by ice of some sort. Not nearly as pretty or fun as straight snow.

Good luck to you, and hope you enjoy yourself in Amarillo! There will still be plenty of us around, but mostly lazing around in our homes.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:29 PM

64 posts, read 144,470 times
thanks for your reply.
i guess i ll be eating in ihop or china buffet.
I will be visiting Dumas, Pampa , boerger area.
Any input about these areas ?
In btw: Why doesn't Amarillo has its own forum?

Old 12-16-2012, 05:47 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,376,835 times
Quote:
I read your post in the Texas forums and I thought, "I wonder why this isn't in the Amarillo forum?" Then I looked and you're right. Amarillo should have it's own forum. I don't know why it doesn't.

Regarding snow for Christmas though, weather reports on the Texas plains are pretty useless if predicting weather over 2 or 3 days in advance. Out here we say, if you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes and it will change.

Here's hoping you and your wife have a Merry Christmas in Amarillo. And be safe if it does snow.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:18 PM

751 posts, read 1,484,462 times
Quote:
thanks for your reply.
i guess i ll be eating in ihop or china buffet.
I will be visiting Dumas, Pampa , boerger area.
Any input about these areas ?
Well, Lubbock has only recently received it's own forum, but I don't know if Amarillo will get it's own. Would be nice, but only since I have a vested interest.

Not really familiar with Dumas, only having driven through it a couple dozen times, and only having eaten at K-Bobs. Pampa I have been to a couple of times, but only to drive over to do a quick job and leave. Nice place it looks like. Borger is a place I have been to a bunch of times while working, but can't tell you much except The Plaza has great Mexican food, and JT's (I think is the name) has the best smothered chicken fried steak I have ever gotten into.

So, as usual.... my main input to the conversation revolves around eating. Welcome to the area though, and hope you enjoy!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,421,525 times
An Amarillo forum would be a great focal point for topics about Amarillo proper as well as the overarching Panhandle. I would welcome it.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:56 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,930,818 times
Maybe you should consider celebrating the True Meaning of Christmas, in church. All the Lutheran churches in town will be having services.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,376,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
An Amarillo forum would be a great focal point for topics about Amarillo proper as well as the overarching Panhandle. I would welcome it.

There certainly seems to be a lot of folks moving and visiting Amarillo. I agree that it probably should have its own forum to cover the Panhandle interests. The Lubbock forum does a good job handling the South Plains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas