Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in Galveston
Yes 63 51.64%
No 39 31.97%
Only on a vacation 20 16.39%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:30 PM

12 posts, read 45,015 times
Nope. I like visiting some parts of it, but I couldn't see myself ever living there in the state that it's presently in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 11:05 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Never! Visit, yes. But it's not safe to live there. I'm not wanting to risk my life trying to survive major hurricanes! Not to mention owning a house that ends up flooded or washed away.
I was thinking the same thing about trying to survive gunshots in North Houston..

I would live in Galveston over Houston. You can evacuate from a Hurricane.. It's hard to dodge a bullet.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
If the city had things to actually keep me on the island, yes. Presently, I would get very bored unless it was more like Daytona or South Padre.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:16 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,767 times
Not only WOULD live there but I DID live there for two years. Didn't have kids then. I think you'd want to make sure you could give them plenty of home enrichment or have income for a private school if you came here with kids. Not the best public schools from what I've been told.

You also have to have a certain sort of non-materialistic attitude to be here. If you buy a house, you have to be willing to pay for good flood and windstorm insurance and be willing to leave whenever a hurricane threatens - potentially saving just whatever you can fit into your car or truck. It's a sandbar 3 miles off into the ocean, after all. Beautiful and fun to live on the other 99.9% of the time but perilous in a big hurricane.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:10 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
If there truly was an "armpit" of Texas, Galveston would be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
I'm just curious if anyone would live in Galveston and work there?

Galveston is where I go every summer and I love it. I know the water is not so great but it's fun! The seafood there are the best.

I'm aware most of the jobs there are tourism, right?

Old 06-29-2011, 07:44 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
I am surprised at how many people actually -want- to live in Galveston.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:09 PM

286 posts, read 569,808 times
Had the option, and turned it down. Galveston was just too much of an enigma for me. I don't want to raise my kids in a town with biker festivals, cruise ships, and not much else.
I still visit though.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:17 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
Had the option, and turned it down. Galveston was just too much of an enigma for me. I don't want to raise my kids in a town with biker festivals, cruise ships, and not much else.
I still visit though.
Not to sound like an ass, but what exactly is there to do in Corpus other then the beach ?

Old 06-30-2011, 06:47 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
I lived on Galveston for the better part of a year while on a work assignment. It is a unique place and I enjoyed living there for about 9 months, but then it started to get old for a couple of reasons:
- constant tourism factor - it gets really old when half the people there are tourists. It is amazing that people can be 'ugly Americans' in their own country.
- high alcohol consumption/low motivation - obviously, it does not apply to everyone, but it often seems like it does. There is a large voluntarily under-employed, just-getting-by, heavy drinking crowd of people with next to no motivation. Fun to drink with , but not the material for long-term friendship.
-
Quote:
The city council is laughable and as crooked as they come
- Well, not sure it is just the city council. The island politics are old-school Louisiana style politics, semi-mafi-like. A few people own/run everything, pretty much.

I really like Galveston and lament the fact that it could do so much better.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:18 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
If there truly was an "armpit" of Texas, Galveston would be it.
With that comment, I'm assuming you've never been to Port Arthur / Sabine Pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas