Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 07:25 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,973,680 times

Advertisements

I have been staying with my daughter and her family in Christoval (near San Angelo) while I look for a new job and it appears that my ex will be coming to visit next weekend. I really don't want to be around, so thought I would head to the coast. I'm a Michigan girl at heart and really miss being around water.

I will probably only be gone four days, and am considering the following, Corpus Christi, Rockport, Port Aransas or Port Lavaca. I lived in Port Arthur and Beaumont years ago, but never went further west along the coast than Galveston. I don't need nightlife, but I would like nice scenery, a place where I might stand a good chance of seeing dolphins, and good local (not chain and not pricey) restaurants.

Of these places I mentioned, what is your personal preference? Or do you have another suggestion? The places I listed are all around a six hour drive, give or take, and I would not like to go much further this trip.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 07:57 PM

11,871 posts, read 26,928,733 times
Corpus Christi/North Padre Island is probably the closest to San Angelo, but you're looking at a 6-8 hour drive to get there. If you only have 4 days, that will be one to drive there, two days there, and one to drive back.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,148,143 times
If you want quiet, Port Lavaca. All of the other places you listed are touristy. You might check out Seadrift and Port O'Connor for a little variety, since there's not a lot of public shoreline in and next to Port L.

Not sure about which is best for dolphins.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:10 PM

Thanks! Christie, I will probably leave fairly early, and may end up doing more than four days, we shall see. :0)

Bo, thanks for the suggestions, I will look into both.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:29 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,962,314 times
I've always seen dolphins around Port A. Port Lavaca is a dump (@ least a few years ago). Sorry if I insulted anyone--jmho.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,148,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I've always seen dolphins around Port A. Port Lavaca is a dump (@ least a few years ago). Sorry if I insulted anyone--jmho.
I don't live in that area, but I like to visit because it's not touristy like CC and Port A. That area of the Texas coast is mostly devoted to industry and fishing, rather than beaches and resorts. If your goal on a coastal trip is to bar-hop and walk for miles on the beach, it probably would seem like a dump.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,962,314 times
My experience was based on a job offer that was interrupted by a life-threatening chemical spill from one of the local toxic plants, the only decent rental housing was available to people qualified for government assistance, the area was considered a superfund site, there was a moratorium on eating local seafood, flesh-eating bacteria had just killed someone fishing off the local pier, one would have to drive to Victoria for a mediocre selection of grocery stores, there was a plethora of trailer parks with a lot of residents that looked like failed meth cooks . . . Other than that,it was fine! . I would imagine it's much better now. BTW--I'm not interested in partying--I prefer spending time with my husband, daughters, their husbands, and my grandchildren.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:51 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,084,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
I have been staying with my daughter and her family in Christoval (near San Angelo) while I look for a new job and it appears that my ex will be coming to visit next weekend. I really don't want to be around, so thought I would head to the coast. I'm a Michigan girl at heart and really miss being around water.

I will probably only be gone four days, and am considering the following, Corpus Christi, Rockport, Port Aransas or Port Lavaca. I lived in Port Arthur and Beaumont years ago, but never went further west along the coast than Galveston. I don't need nightlife, but I would like nice scenery, a place where I might stand a good chance of seeing dolphins, and good local (not chain and not pricey) restaurants.

Of these places I mentioned, what is your personal preference? Or do you have another suggestion? The places I listed are all around a six hour drive, give or take, and I would not like to go much further this trip.

TIA!
Of those four cities, my choice would be either Corpus Christi or Port Aransas. Good chance of seeing dolphins if you ride the ferry between Port Aransas and Aransas Pass. Scenery is okay if you like sand dunes and water. Sometimes, when you really miss being around some water nothing else will do except to be able to walk in it as much as you want.

Have a good time!

Old 08-21-2011, 10:31 AM

Thanks Lily! I didn't even know there was a ferry. Is it a car ferry like the one that goes to Galveston from the Bolivar Peninsula?

Old 08-21-2011, 11:12 AM

579 posts, read 1,229,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Thanks Lily! I didn't even know there was a ferry. Is it a car ferry like the one that goes to Galveston from the Bolivar Peninsula?
Yes it is, short trip but still neat. Ferry is on the road between Aransas Pass and Port A. I would also recommend Port A/Corpus...more thing to do/see. Texas State Aquarium and the USS Lexington are worth a look.
Port Lavaca area isn't that far away, if you want to take a drive up that way for the day, but I wouldn't base my vacation around Port Lavaca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas