Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 AM

32 posts, read 112,575 times

Advertisements

I'm a US citizen and last I remember I was in Texas was when I was 4 years old.
I'm going back to hometown. I want to apply for UT-Austin.

Thing is, the out of state tuition is crazy and so I will live in Texas for 12 months with a job to get residency (to pay in-state tuition!). Oh and I'm not allowed to study university during this time if I want the residency.

But here's my problem:
I'm 17 (turning 18 Aug 30) and my father MIGHT not be able to come and settle me down there. Let's assume he WON'T. I don't have a credit card, I don't have a car AND I don't have a drivers license. We don't know many people over there so let's assume I won't have any family friends that can help me.

When I told my dad I want to go, he said "What are you gonna do once you get in the airport?"

I wanna get a job close to my apartment so I can cycle there. But how will I rent an apartment? How will I find a job (ANY job) quickly? Where will I go/what will I do once I arrive at the airport?

I need to have a job in Texas by September 15th according to UT-Austin, to be able to pay In-state tuition.

Can anybody guide me a bit on how I can manage? My dad has a credit card, not sure if he can issue me one through his?

PS: I, personally want to live in Austin (close to UT-Austin obviously) but father wants me to live in Arlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 07:24 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
Why does your dad want Arlington? Will he pay for Arlington? If so I would do that and then get a job once you move to the states. After being here a year then go to UT Arlington it easier to transfer into the main UT campus so I hear. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 AM

32 posts, read 112,575 times
He will pay the same amount for all cities. He wants Arlington cause he graduated from UT-Arlington and he says "the action" all happens in the Dallas area.

I REALLY want the UT-Austin. Its ranking is much higher than UT-Arlington. I'll take the ACT and I'll work hard on it hopefully I'll get in. My grades aren't bad (they're actually quite good).

Old 07-06-2011, 08:30 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
UT can be quite difficult to get into. You might want a backup plan, just in case.

As far as a fun place, I'd definitely choose Austin though. I went to UT Arlington, and it's not someplace I would think of as a place for "action". It's more of a commuter school.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:52 AM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
UT can be quite difficult to get into. You might want a backup plan, just in case.

As far as a fun place, I'd definitely choose Austin though. I went to UT Arlington, and it's not someplace I would think of as a place for "action". It's more of a commuter school.
I also agree that UT can be difficult to get into.

I went to UTA too, but it sounds like the father wants her to be "in the Metroplex," and not necessarily "in Arlington." There is a LOT more action in DFW than there is in Austin.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 AM

469 posts, read 886,739 times
I wouldnt move to Arlington without a car. It is the largest city in the world without public transportation.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:15 AM
k_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
I wouldnt move to Arlington without a car. It is the largest city in the world without public transportation.
Arlington is doable without a car if you're a college freshman.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:16 AM

Eh, I live at Arlington Hall at UTA and still needed my car sometimes.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:18 AM
k_s

I lived in an off-campus apartment behind Centennial. I would walk to class and work, and if I got sick of the food right around campus, I would venture out with someone who DID drive (I had a car, but hated driving it).

When I was there, there was also a shuttle that went to the Parks mall and the Cooper/I-20 Wal-Mart specifically for students who didn't have cars. I don't know if that's still running, though.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_s View Post
I lived in an off-campus apartment behind Centennial. I would walk to class and work, and if I got sick of the food right around campus, I would venture out with someone who DID drive (I had a car, but hated driving it).

When I was there, there was also a shuttle that went to the Parks mall and the Cooper/I-20 Wal-Mart specifically for students who didn't have cars. I don't know if that's still running, though.
Nice, I never knew they had that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas