Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:53 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,777 times

Advertisements

I keep reading articles on the internet(which aren't always true) and they state that many cities in Texas have a lot of jobs compared to most of the US . Are jobs really easy to come by?
I have heard many times about Round Rock being a nice place.
Just curious. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 05:03 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
Nope, folks are not just handing out jobs. I know lots of companies and then school systems that are on a hiring freeze. You need to have some connections and then not move here unless you already have a job in hand. So many folks move cause they think its going to be lots better when in truth its about the same plus they might have move away from friends and family...Round Rock is a nice place, lots of nice places in Texas

Old 09-12-2011, 05:41 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
Really depends what field you're in. If you're in a high-demand field with specialized skills (you're a hot-shot in tech or in medicine), then you'll probably be able to find something. If you're in a field that is already glutted and having layoffs (like education or government-funded positions), you may find yourself among the many who have moved here in recent years and still haven't found anything.

And speaking of all those unemployed in the area, you should also be aware that if you're looking for the sort of general job that anyone could do, you may have dozens (even hundreds) of people competing with you for any opening. If you can find something, come. But don't be fooled into thinking jobs are "easy" to come by. They're not, by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,847 times
Better than most places, but you must have a degree to get the best jobs. Also, GREAT places to live in are Flower Mound (Wellington, Bridlewood). Also Highland Village, Keller.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:24 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Really depends what field you're in.
The oilfield is booming but couldn't tell you about the rest.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:48 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
And speaking of all those unemployed in the area, you should also be aware that if you're looking for the sort of general job that anyone could do, you may have dozens (even hundreds) of people competing with you for any opening. If you can find something, come. But don't be fooled into thinking jobs are "easy" to come by. They're not, by any stretch of the imagination.
Last time we hired a Housekeeper at the hospital where I work, we literally had over 100 applicants. Really.

You do need to have sought-after skills to get a good job.

Unemployment rate in DFW is about 8%. Rate for people with a college decree is less than 4%, but for people with less than a HS diploma, it's about14%.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:55 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Texas' unemployment rate is 8.4% which ranks it #27. This was a July reading.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:04 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Texas' unemployment rate is 8.4% which ranks it #27. This was a July reading.
And that says it all. It's better than a lot of places, but if you're just looking for somewhere where you can easily get a job, keep looking. Having been laid off twice in the last year, I can say there are a lot of people looking and not a lot hiring.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:51 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
I keep reading articles on the internet(which aren't always true) and they state that many cities in Texas have a lot of jobs compared to most of the US . Are jobs really easy to come by?
Yes, you can easily find jobs... Fulfilling jobs such as flipping burger patties, waiting tables, vacuuming cars at the auto spa, etc. At least in the big cities & their busy suburbs there seems to be no shortage of ''help wanted'' signs in these places.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:32 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
I just left the space industry a few months ago. Fortunately I was able to do it voluntarily (If I had waited it would not be voluntary) as they are laying off thousands in Clear Lake. Local 2 year colleges are creating special programs to help retrain degreed engineers who can't find work. Jobs are not easy to come by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas