Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hats: on or off while eating?
Yes, I wear my hat while eating. 15 14.85%
No, I take my hat off while eating. 60 59.41%
I like cake. 26 25.74%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 11:11 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
I was born and raised in San Antonio and we never wear hats inside. Especially at the dinner table. If we did, or forgot to remove it, I don't have to tell you what happened. To me it is all these transplants bringing their baggy pant, hat backwards, no mannered selves into the state. You can spot a true native simply by their actions. Removal of the hat, opening a door for a woman and letting her go first, and responding with a yes maam or a yes sir. Also, the raising of 2 fingers off the steering wheel when you pass someone you know is also a TX thing. Get with it transplants!
Wearing a hat inside is rude?
I'm from Louisiana, and I never took my hat off. I always thought a hat inside is perfectly fine, gladly nobody has ever asked me to take my hat off or I would look at them like: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 11:30 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
I was born and raised in San Antonio and we never wear hats inside. Especially at the dinner table. If we did, or forgot to remove it, I don't have to tell you what happened. To me it is all these transplants bringing their baggy pant, hat backwards, no mannered selves into the state. You can spot a true native simply by their actions. Removal of the hat, opening a door for a woman and letting her go first, and responding with a yes maam or a yes sir. Also, the raising of 2 fingers off the steering wheel when you pass someone you know is also a TX thing. Get with it transplants!
You're a tad delusional if you really believe it's the native Texans who have the best manners. I've lived here a long time now and I've observed much. Many are polite and exhibit etiquette, but there are many who don't. Don't blame the transplants on the pants. You might want to do a google search to see where that originated and now, the kids and some adults everywhere think it's pretty cute. Gag!! I know you mean well and want to believe all natives are polite and do it all right, but it's not so. I'm surrounded by natives and t'plants and I've seen it all. Both can be totally rude, uncouth, polite, and proper.

P.S. Your status of "getting drunk and falling down" makes one wonder the credibility of your post. I call that uncouth and yes, many transplants exhibit the same uncouth behavior.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:48 AM

1,632 posts, read 483,624 times
I usually take off my cap going inside altogether. But outside, more than likely: not.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:22 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
You're a tad delusional if you really believe it's the native Texans who have the best manners. I've lived here a long time now and I've observed much. Many are polite and exhibit etiquette, but there are many who don't. Don't blame the transplants on the pants. You might want to do a google search to see where that originated and now, the kids and some adults everywhere think it's pretty cute. Gag!! I know you mean well and want to believe all natives are polite and do it all right, but it's not so. I'm surrounded by natives and t'plants and I've seen it all. Both can be totally rude, uncouth, polite, and proper.

P.S. Your status of "getting drunk and falling down" makes one wonder the credibility of your post. I call that uncouth and yes, many transplants exhibit the same uncouth behavior.
You mis-read his post,

This person is talking about another Texas tradition which is waving at people passing you while driving down the road. You really have to get out away from the city to see it in action. What's being implied by his post is that transplants don't understand this tradition and should try waving back.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:24 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post

Ummm...perhaps YOU should google getting drunk and falling down b/c it is a Hank Williams 3 song. I do not have to prove my credibility to you or anyone else on here. And furthermore, if you are not from TX you will never understand the traditions and/or culture. You can try and then believe you have it all figured out. Being born a Texan the traditions of this state are bred into your soul. Just because you have "lived here a long time" does not make you the upmost authority on this subject. And as the OP just stated you did misread my post. There is more to TX than big city life. That is where these traditions were born and still currently reside. If you went to a small southern town like Encinal, Cotulla, Carrizo, or Cotulla and you had a hat on in the diner you definitely would get some weird looks. You're welcome.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Hank 3 Gettin' Drunk and Fallin' Down - YouTube

Here ya go sweetheart. I took the time to do it for you

Old 10-09-2011, 02:15 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
We do get a lot of transplants who come from areas with different customs but the idea of hats off at the table being good manors pre-dates the United States. So this isn't a California vs Texas thing. Next poll, does California Cowboys take their hats off at the dinner table
I agree. I think its more of a generation thing. I'm 53 years old and moved to Texas from California and I was raised to take my hat off at the table and to open doors for ladies and the elderly and always say thankyou. In fact one of the things I love about west Texas is that all the values and customs I was raised with still thrive here unlike California where the younger generation doesn't seem to be raised that way. But tbh there are polite and rude natives and polite and rude transplants. But I will say the majority of people I come across in town here are very friendly and polite. And I love the custom of waving to people on the open roads as you pass by each other. So many things like that are why I love Texas and am very proud to live here and call Texas home.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:23 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
This thread shows a beginning of a divide between urban Texas and small town Texas. It's the next Pennsylvania LOL. Most Urban Texans (even born and raised Texans) wear baggy pants and hats backwards. I don't see the big deal but and like somebody said earlier, customs change.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:44 PM

I am an urban Texan and I do not wear baggy pants or a hat backwards. I understand customs changing and people from other states bringing in their own customs and values. With that being said it does not excuse dressing like a slob nor does it excuse wearing a hat indoors. And like most things it all starts at home and how people are raised.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
You mis-read his post,

This person is talking about another Texas tradition which is waving at people passing you while driving down the road. You really have to get out away from the city to see it in action. What's being implied by his post is that transplants don't understand this tradition and should try waving back.
I like that tradition and see it often when away from the City. And I wave back. In fact I often wave at out of staters, just to confuse them.

I thought it was a Texas tradition to shoot anyone who wore his hat into a dining room. Wasn't it Judge Roy Bean who did that? Too bad some traditions have fallen by the way side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas