Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:54 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Some of us may or may not be getting a little vigilant because we think the OP is simply being a bit obnoxious. "Why are people overweight?" Why do you think? In most cases, it is due to overeating and lack of exercise, and knowing that Texas is a sprawling mass of land in a part of the world where unhealthy food is popular, he should be able to put two and two together. Not exactly rocket science.

Also, people tend to come off as insensitive when they decide to use words like "fat" or "huge" instead of the more acceptable "overweight". Think of it objectively: people aren't actual fat; they have fat. Whether you agree with their lifestyle or not, you should recognize that they're still people with feelings, and being called fat doesn't feel good.

Ah, but don't you see, by the very fact that people refuse to use the words fat, huge or enormous you're instantly refusing to confront the problem because there's a great deal of difference between being overweight and being fat.

Semantics apart it seems to me it comes down to personal choice whether you allow yourself to become obese - but obese parents who allow children to become obese should be subjected to the same social service scrutiny as any other crime where children are deliberately being harmed, even if it means removing those children from parental care.

Seems to me though that too many people have too many vested interests for any meaningful change in the inexorable race to nationwide obesity in the US.

A slice of pizza still counts as a vegetable

In a victory for the makers of frozen pizzas, tomato paste and French fries, Congress on Monday blocked rules proposed by the Agriculture Department that would have overhauled the nation’s school lunch program.

The proposed changes — the first in 15 years to the $11 billion school lunch program — were meant to reduce childhood obesity by adding more fruits and green vegetables to lunch menus, Agriculture Department officials said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/us...20rules&st=cse

Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
There's no excuse for it and that includes Texas, America, Europe and you name it. I don't think it's considered acceptable, but just another ones of 'those things' that are happening that we have no control over.

We have buffet (one price, all you can eat) joints all over the place. Again, WTH Do we really need that? People pay a little more than they would for a normal meal, then gouge because they feel the need to get their money's worth. Good grief! You'd think they would just avoid places like that! But shoot no! Go and pig out! So who are you going to blame on this one? I blame the fatso's who go and pig out! No gun is being held to their head forcing them to eat the buffets.....

I've seen people that were so huge they can't even walk down the aisles at the grocery store. They ride around in the handicap buggy. Good Lord, I even had one old gal who had fat hanging down to the floor off both sides of her seat ask me if I would hand her a bag of chips from the upper shelf (where they kept the BIG bags). I looked at her and looked at all the junk food she had piled in the basket and told her straight out I couldn't help her and walked off. Good grief! My gawd, it just makes you want to scream at them, when is enough enough? Stop eating!

Both of these scenarios are really disgusting, aren't they..? But so common. After going to one buffet where one enormous (385 lbs as a conservative guess) woman went back and forth to the buffet no less than 5 times with a plate mounded over each time, I told SO I wasn't ever going back to that place.

The contents of any given cart do speak volumes, don't they?

Great post!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:16 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times
Texas has more all you can eat buffet places than any other state. FACT

Old 11-29-2011, 11:40 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Ah, but don't you see, by the very fact that people refuse to use the words fat, huge or enormous you're instantly refusing to confront the problem because there's a great deal of difference between being overweight and being fat.
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. As if you can't encourage someone to lead a more healthy lifestyle without objectifying them. Please.

"Overweight" or "obese" are completely suitable terms. Saying anything else pretty much just makes you a an a-hole.

Quote:
Semantics apart it seems to me it comes down to personal choice whether you allow yourself to become obese - but obese parents who allow children to become obese should be subjected to the same social service scrutiny as any other crime where children are deliberately being harmed, even if it means removing those children from parental care.

Seems to me though that too many people have too many vested interests for any meaningful change in the inexorable race to nationwide obesity in the US.

A slice of pizza still counts as a vegetable

In a victory for the makers of frozen pizzas, tomato paste and French fries, Congress on Monday blocked rules proposed by the Agriculture Department that would have overhauled the nation’s school lunch program.

The proposed changes — the first in 15 years to the $11 billion school lunch program — were meant to reduce childhood obesity by adding more fruits and green vegetables to lunch menus, Agriculture Department officials said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/us...20rules&st=cse
I'm still dying to know why you care so much. How does it seriously affect you if someone else is overweight?

Old 11-29-2011, 12:09 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
Dumb thread.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:12 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
That's pretty funny. Yes, Texans are fat....probably the fattest in the nation with the possible exceptions of Mississippi and Alabama, and possibly a good chunk of Georgia as well.

Texas' cities have zero efficient public transportation and completely build their cities around the automobile. Literally tens of billions have been spent over the past 2 decades of widening freeways throughout Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio within any concern to improving public transportation or "alternate" forms of commuting.

Texas also has a fairly high percentage of smokers, low rates of exercise, and a high percentage of those who follow high school and college football (hmmm, wonder if that matters?)

You want a fit state?? Goto Colorado, Utah, or NON central valley parts of California and tell me how many fat people you see.

Quote:
Well. not just Texans per se but Americans in general.
As a long-time visitor from Europe to the US and 2nd home owner in Florida I still register surprise every time I step off the plane at how widespread and seemingly acceptable morbid obesity is.
And with the exception of Alabama it seems to me that Texans are the fattest of a very fat bunch.
Is it because food portions are bigger in Texas ?

Old 11-29-2011, 12:51 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. As if you can't encourage someone to lead a more healthy lifestyle without objectifying them. Please.

"Overweight" or "obese" are completely suitable terms. Saying anything else pretty much just makes you a an a-hole.

I'm still dying to know why you care so much. How does it seriously affect you if someone else is overweight?

It affects everyone because obesity is putting an incredible strain on the American health system.

But hey, if you're more concerned about which terms to describe incredibly fat people rather than addressing the fundamental problems I understand.

It's that sort of attitude which has led to the US becoming the fattest nation on the planet ( although I think Samoans might run it a close second. )

It's bizarre how puritanical America ostracizes drinkers and smokers yet is perfectly happy with greed and obesity which causes just the same if not more physical damage to the human body.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
That's pretty funny. Yes, Texans are fat....probably the fattest in the nation with the possible exceptions of Mississippi and Alabama, and possibly a good chunk of Georgia as well.

Texas' cities have zero efficient public transportation and completely build their cities around the automobile. Literally tens of billions have been spent over the past 2 decades of widening freeways throughout Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio within any concern to improving public transportation or "alternate" forms of commuting.

Texas also has a fairly high percentage of smokers, low rates of exercise, and a high percentage of those who follow high school and college football (hmmm, wonder if that matters?)

You want a fit state?? Goto Colorado, Utah, or NON central valley parts of California and tell me how many fat people you see.
Actually, both Dallas and Houston are working on densifying and expanding their rail systems. San Antonio is also in the planning stages of putting a rail system in place. These things take time, and most importantly, they have to make financial sense.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:08 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I'm not fat. I'm large-boned and well-fed.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
It affects everyone because obesity is putting an incredible strain on the American health system.
You're more than welcome to return to Europe, if you see this having a negative impact on your life.

Quote:
But hey, if you're more concerned about which terms to describe incredibly fat people rather than addressing the fundamental problems I understand.

It's that sort of attitude which has led to the US becoming the fattest nation on the planet ( although I think Samoans might run it a close second. )
BS.

The fact that I have more concern for people's feelings doesn't make me any less concerned about the health of this country than you do. I just know how to show concern without being insensitive. You should try it some time.

It's common sense that approaching the issue of obesity with more tact, sophistication, and being suitably educated on the psyche of people who are obese is more effective. Simply chastising and ridiculing them for their flaw is bound to do more harm than good. What they need is positive encouragement, and not put-downs.

The fact that I make it a point to eat right and exercise is evidence enough that health is important to me, but I have no control over how other adults decide to live their life, and I have no right to tell them how to eat.

The rate of STDs is also a threat to human health, and especially for certain groups. Do you suggest that we start dictating when, where, and how people can have sex?

Quote:
It's bizarre how puritanical America ostracizes drinkers and smokers yet is perfectly happy with greed and obesity which causes just the same if not more physical damage to the human body.
I agree that it is a shame, but again, if you have that much of a problem with the way things are here, you're more than welcome to go home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas