Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:31 AM

13 posts, read 42,403 times

Advertisements

If your regular unemployment benefits will be ending towards the end of March or early April, what will happen after that? Will there be any type of approved extensions and who qualifies? How will all this work, and for how long? I need detailed information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 03:11 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,398 times
How about being hopeful for landing a job before then? TWC will send you a letter before it runs out letting you know if you qualify for an extension which will only be 80% of what your getting paid in benefits now

Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM

Why would you not qualify for extended unemployment benefits in Texas?

Old 01-20-2012, 03:38 PM

So, once your regular weekly payments run out, you will only get 80% for an additional year or how long?

Old 01-21-2012, 01:22 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearvin39 View Post
So, once your regular weekly payments run out, you will only get 80% for an additional year or how long?
Unless the federal extensions have been taken away, you get full benefits with the first extension. When mine ran out, I just called the TWC, answered a few questions, and I was good to go. If I remember correctly, it lasts another six months or so. I'm not sure why you would get rejected, but I'm single and without dependents and got it.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:08 PM

I believe the federal extensions just got passed on the 18th of this month. Let me know what you know. After the 6 month extension, what happens? What kind of questions does twc ask?

Old 01-21-2012, 06:39 PM

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/bnfts/...ionalweeks.pdf

I don't remember exactly what they asked me, but it was basic stuff, like confirming I had been doing the job searches I was supposed to do, verifying my address was correct, etc. This was back in the summer (I started my current job in August) so I don't remember it too well. I know I was worried about it like you and it ended up just taking a five minute phone call to get an extension.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:42 AM

578 posts, read 1,227,711 times
There is currently over 50,000 jobs posted on the Work in Texas website, maybe one of them would work for you?

Old 01-22-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
There is currently over 50,000 jobs posted on the Work in Texas website, maybe one of them would work for you?
Don't assume he's not looking. I was on it for about six months, found a job that only lasted about two and a half months, and was on it again for about three months including an extension for about a month. I was doing my minimum of five work searches and then some, sometimes applying to 15 or 20 places in a week. Much of it was just me looking in the Yellow Pages for nearby companies in my field and going door-to-door and it was getting hard finding ones I hadn't already been to. It's tough out there and just because someone has to take an extension doesn't mean they're just riding that mailbox money.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:25 AM

574 posts, read 1,640,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
Obviously you have never used the TWC job site! Many of those jobs don't exist but TWC still takes postings without even verifying them. TWC will constantly run a job even though it has been filled because the employer doesn't notify them. I've seen so many scam jobs listed because TWC doesn't screen them closely. Their search function sucks royal cahonas as well.

TWC is just another smoke screen by your government to say "Look at me. We're doing something to help.".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas