Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:38 AM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times

Advertisements

An F5 is my nightmare too. I drove from north of Denton back to Dallas on the day Oklahoma City had their F5. I knew something was wrong even before I heard the reports. I was miles and miles away from the storm, yet you could just feel that something was up. The clouds overhead looked like huge scoops, the winds were weird, it even smelled funny. I think that was in May 1999.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:37 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I would say tornadoes because they touchdown without warning. The biggest thing I fear is a F5 tornado hitting the DFW area one day. The Joplin Missouri tornado is a good example of what we hope will never happen in the Metroplex.
I agree a big one hitting DFW was by a major disaster. I have a theory, since tornados move from sw to ne usually, the areas of DFW south or the metroxplex or where there is open land to the SW of them are most venerable. If a huge one was on the ground like this recent one in Arlington then by the time it goes 5 or 10 miles it will be reduced in scale as the buildings will resist the wind motions as they get torn down by the monster. Expending energy to take the buildings down might weaken it and save points further North. Lancaster seems to get a few or Forney which I believe also has open land to its SW.

Tornados are the worst

Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Objective data says hurricanes cause 10 times as much damage as tornadoes in the US. The data below was reported in 2004 but it covers many years of data.

Which Is Worse: Hurricanes or Tornadoes? - ABC News

I think a tornado is more intimidating and more frightening on an individual basis. But hurricanes are far more damaging.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:03 AM

103 posts, read 270,308 times
Default Which is worse, tornado(Dallas) or hurricane(Houston) (Cont.)?

If tornado is much worse, then I would vote for Houston. Since Dallas is subject to Tornado, and Houston is subject to Hurricane.

How do you guys think?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Objective data says hurricanes cause 10 times as much damage as tornadoes in the US. The data below was reported in 2004 but it covers many years of data.

Which Is Worse: Hurricanes or Tornadoes? - ABC News

I think a tornado is more intimidating and more frightening on an individual basis. But hurricanes are far more damaging.
No question this is true, with a tornado you have less personal choice to make to avoid it, you have significant ability to avoid a huricane with advanced planning. Damage cost in general is different from how do I control the impact on my life personally is where hurricanes give you more notice. It would be interesting to compare death tolls over the long term with both.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:58 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,076,236 times
Tornadoes.

For all the reasons mentioned above.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:48 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Tornadoes are exciting!

I'd rather be in the middle of a tornado than a hurricane.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
I would say Houston as well, although I was actually in First Colony Mall in Sugar Land back in 1998 (Feb or March maybe?) when it was hit by a tornado. Weather had been fine all day. When I drove to the mall, I could see lots of puffy white clouds off to the southeast. Not uncommon to see, coming in off the Gulf. A little while later, we were all taking cover in the hallways and stock rooms of the mall.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:22 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Dallas & its tornadoes most definitely.

At least in Houston you have days, sometimes weeks to prepare for a major hurricane headed your way.

Flooding is actually Houston's main problem, not so much the hurricanes, but hey, it floods in Dallas too just not as easily.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:44 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
I'd much rather have to deal with a hurricane than tornadoes. I've actually driven through the middle of a hurricane (in FL, not TX).
Unlike with a tornado, you have time to prepare and will likely not lose your house or die unless you live on a small island, right by the water, or below sea level (New Orleans). The winds aren't as strong. The only reason they cause more financial damage overall is because they cover a much larger area and can pull sea water up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas