Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,247,519 times

Advertisements

In 1959 my Mother and I took the train from Houston, Texas to Portland Oregon. It took over three days to get there. And that was going 100 miles per hour for parts of the way... There is no way you could build tracks that you could go over 200 MPH on that trip..If you don't believe it get in your car and drive it. It was faster to take Greyhound bus....ON the train we had to go to Portland then back south 90 miles to grandmas house....Greyhound dropped us off right by grandmas house the second time we went....Plus it took several hours less for the whole trip going by bus. I'll take my car any day of the week over any speed train....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 02:50 PM

117 posts, read 229,838 times
As much as I would love to see high speed rail in Texas, it will never happen because there are too many people attached to their cars that don't care that they are destroying the world and are costing us billions of dollars yearly to take care of road ways.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:52 PM

117 posts, read 229,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
In 1959 my Mother and I took the train from Houston, Texas to Portland Oregon. It took over three days to get there. And that was going 100 miles per hour for parts of the way... There is no way you could build tracks that you could go over 200 MPH on that trip..If you don't believe it get in your car and drive it. It was faster to take Greyhound bus....ON the train we had to go to Portland then back south 90 miles to grandmas house....Greyhound dropped us off right by grandmas house the second time we went....Plus it took several hours less for the whole trip going by bus. I'll take my car any day of the week over any speed train....
That is where integration takes place, imagine arriving in a big city station by train, then walk 200 feet to a light rail service that could drop you off within walking or biking distance of your home.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:30 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
HSR is mostly for regional purposes though. Notice all the proposals rarely leaving a certain corridor. Nobody is going to take rail cross country like that. Even the biggest rail proponents and urbanites wouldn't do that. They'd rather fly. I know I would.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:21 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
How does a Fort Worth to Houston line sound...?

$10 Billion Could Buy High-Speed Trains | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Old 05-06-2012, 09:20 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Not Dallas?

Old 05-06-2012, 10:00 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexis4jersey View Post
not dallas?
NO..... it states Fort Worth to Houston.

But I'm sure there's a plan out there for a Dallas connection. Given the history of how things work out, I'd say a Dallas connection would come first.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:52 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,458,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
How does a Fort Worth to Houston line sound...?

$10 Billion Could Buy High-Speed Trains | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
Might as well move it to Denton instead--that's where the sprawl is encroaching.

The only line that will be needed is a Houston-San Antonio line to accommodate the weekend trip crowd since the state government will be moved back to Houston once Democrats control this state and there will be economic incentives to out-of-state businesses to move to Houston instead of DFW by said Democrats.

Houston will truly be the Texas' Primate city! To accommodate the newcomers from DFW and Austin, some innovations from Manila will be introduced to the U.S. for the first time such as overpasses/skyways and the beloved Jeepney.

No need to go around the state for business meetings when everything is all over Houston.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:29 PM

25 posts, read 58,491 times
Texas HSR doesn't make much sense because the population is so spread out. That is, the population density of Texas is fairly low compared to other places where HSR is successful.

The Northeast Corridor is endless suburbia from DC to Boston, and currently the only US HSR line is the Acela Express which runs between the two.

MAYBE an alignment like DFW-Waco-Austin-San Antonio-Laredo-Monterrey would work. Wishful thinking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas