Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 07:31 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times

Advertisements

I couldn't recall any Texas stuff decorating my Texas farm house until I remembered the 2'x3' map on wood right behind me on my bedroom wall of the Texas Llano Estacado and the Rolling Plains. Then I looked up to my bookcase to remember the 8"x10" B&W signed photo of Ernest Tubb and the Texas Troubadours in front of their bus. That photo sits beside one of a much younger me in full beard and boots sitting in the shade with a friend in the northern Chihuahua desert holding my old western revolver as if we expected Pancho Villa to ride in at any time.

Although not used as home decorations I must admit to having other Texas "stuff" like Lone Star belt buckles and belts from my Cotton-Eyed Joe dancing days, a cattle brand from my wife's west Texas family, original 1949 and 1952 Texas license plates (mine and my wife's birth years) on my barn wall, numerous books on local and Texas history and a family database of over 13,000 family ancestors who ended up in Texas. I'm sure there is much more "stuff" relating to my native State in our barns and garages.

I do not have one of the iron Texas Lone Stars on my farm house. The original house here was built in the late 1940s and it really needs no Texas decor. Its very rural location and styling sitting far out on an unpaved county road quickly brings to mind the history and endurance of the people who came and settled on the Texas High Plains.

However, the best Texas thing that decorates my homes by far is my wonderfully conservative, and just as beautiful, west Texas wife of over forty years. She is my Texas Lone Star.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 07:32 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
ddeel, you must have everyone here beat!!!

Old 05-25-2012, 07:36 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,512 times
5th Gen Texan with an aunt into geneology. I was smart enough to be the one who loved to hear family history. I consider myself blessed

Old 05-25-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
ddeel, you must have everyone here beat!!!
Hey I think High Plains Retired wins

Old 05-25-2012, 08:07 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
I dunno. My forebears came to Texas in the 1850s, which I reckon makes me a 5th generation Texan. My maternal lineage didn't reproduce terribly young, so I think I'm correct in counting a minimal number of generations. There seems to be some lore as to a paternal relative having fought in the Texas Revolution, which would take us back 6 generations, though I don't claim that as any certainty. I know I asked the question, but I also don't think it is imporant to "win" any sort of "contest" by having the biggest or best collection of Texas artifacts. That really was not my point in starting this thread.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:16 PM

I was just kidding but I am jealous of his stuff! I'm only 45 but my grandmother had my mother at 42 then she was 37 when I was born so that's why my great great grandfather was here during the TX Revolution--a Ranger no less. I'm sure most people my age would have a few more greats in there. I really enjoy reading about the TX stuff people had so I hope to see lots more posts.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
5th Gen Texan with an aunt into geneology. I was smart enough to be the one who loved to hear family history. I consider myself blessed
Ddeel,

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I too love family history and luckily had a career that took me to places where I had some great opportunities to study it. I love the stories I have discovered because I know these people were as real as you and I.

Many of my Texas generations go back to the 1830s mostly in deep east Texas so it's easy for me to have collected a lot of Texas "stuff." I come from a long line of everything from dirt farmers to U.S. Congressmen but from no one well known in Texas at least that I have discovered so far. A few Texas post masters and sheriffs but that's about it.

Here's a pic of my grandfather, a Texas gunsmith for many years. I did not mention the Texas stuff that decorates my home at Albuquerque but this pic, along with a pic of my wife's dad in uniform who was a WWII era policeman at Snyder, Texas, are over my bar over there.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 10-14-2013 at 10:18 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 10:51 PM

We're Hill Country folk. The Murchisons came in the 1830s but I think the Barnetts may have been 10 yrs later. My dad was in the Army Air Corp out of Fort Sam during WWII but in the S Pacific due to his German name. I wish I knew more about his side of the family because he crossed TX in a covered wagon as a child. Thanks for posting the great picture. I love TX history!

Old 05-26-2012, 10:00 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post

However, the best Texas thing that decorates my homes by far is my wonderfully conservative, and just as beautiful, west Texas wife of over forty years. She is my Texas Lone Star.
If you don't mind my asking, what part of West Texas is she from?

West Texas is calling me home before long, unless I can resist the pull. :-(

Old 05-26-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
If you don't mind my asking, what part of West Texas is she from?

West Texas is calling me home before long, unless I can resist the pull. :-(
She was born in Hot Springs, NM (now Truth or Consequences) but she grew up at Muleshoe.

We're still trying to see an opening to sell our home in Albuquerque and get out of the city but I note today there are credible predictions for a global economic slowdown. That will probably also slow real estate even more. I keep thinking we may take what we can get and simply stay in New Mexico, at least in eastern part of the State. However, as you probably know, "while men (and women) plan, God laughs."

The "pull" you feel today may be the hot wind over here drying out the small amount of moisture we have had. We're hoping Hurricane Bud stays strong enough to bring us some rain but not so strong that it tears up Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas