Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:12 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
MaryLeeII, if a regional speech pattern that is a time-honored way of greasing the wheels of society upsets you so much, I can't imagine how you must feel about people having actual brief conversations while checking out, waving when they pass you on a country road, actually asking about your well-being and waiting for an answer, all those nasty little habits Texans have. You must also not have much going on in your life if people being friendly is such an annoyance to you.

As for your "escalated" examples, they'd probably go over quite well as long as you were using them the way the people you are talking about mean them, as opposed to using them to be nasty, as clearly you intend them to be.

Where is it you moved here from?

Well, actually, I've been in Texas 30+ years, and my dh is a born and bred Texan. Because I take umbrage at one thing doesn't mean I should get out of town. Waving at people as you pass on the road is NOT unique to Texas.

Having a little chit chat as you check out is also NOT unique to Texas. Moderator cut: Off-Topic

But I was warned when I moved here, not to take that Southern Hospitality seriously. Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-22-2012 at 02:00 AM..

Old 07-21-2012, 10:47 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I am so fed up with being called Sweetheart, Sweetie, Honey, etc. I've had this ever since I first moved to the great Nation of Texas!
Quote:
Well, actually, I've been in Texas 30+ years, and my dh is a born and bred Texan. Because I take umbrage at one thing doesn't mean I should get out of town. Waving at people as you pass on the road is NOT unique to Texas.
I didn't say you should get out of town; I asked you where you moved here from.

From the two quotes above, it appears that for 30 years, you have neither understood or adjusted to the way Texans are and speak. That you could stew over something that petty for that long really says a lot more about you than about Texans OR the way they address each other, in my book.

Oh, and you still didn't say where you moved here from 30 years ago, which was the question in the post you responded to.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:49 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I didn't say you should get out of town; I asked you where you moved here from.

From the two quotes above, it appears that for 30 years, you have neither understood or adjusted to the way Texans are and speak. That you could stew over something that petty for that long really says a lot more about you than about Texans OR the way they address each other, in my book.
I totally agree. Well said.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:40 PM

701 posts, read 1,563,300 times
Of all the things a person can be called, "Sweetheart" gets to you? Seriously? That term of endearment (emphasis on the endearment) has nothing to do with belittling you or your intelligence, nor reducing you to that of a two year old. Honestly, you're getting bent out of shape over a cultural habit that isn't going anywhere. You're better off taking a breather and just accepting it because culture isn't going to change because you don't like it.

As long as you live in the south, you will be sweetheart-ed, honey-ed, sweetie-ed, darlin'-ed, and bless your heart-ed until the day you die. And even afterward when your company speaks about their memories of you.

Get over it.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:05 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
I am so fed up with being called Sweetheart, Sweetie, Honey, etc. I've had this ever since I first moved to the great Nation of Texas!

Look, I'm 58, not a little kid---I am sick and tired of being called Sweetheart, usually by store clerks, medical office employees, salespersons, wait persons, etc. I thought at first it was because I'm disabled, so its a way of keeping distance. However, I find people call my dh, 6'2'280 lb, "sweetheart", as well. Do these people have any idea how completely ridiculous they sound? A grown adult talked down to like a little kid!

I usually find its the last thing they say, usually after some sort of business transaction. Like making a $$$ purchase, thank you sweetheart! Or especially in a medical setting. Just because you're the patient doesn't mean you've lost all dignity! I finally told my last doctor's staff I prefer NOT to be called Sweetheart---they seemed taken aback, like they could call an adult anything they please.

I mean, HTH do you even begin to react to that? Being called Sweetheart when you're conducting $$$ of business? Usually I use it back---thank you Sweetheart----You've very welcome, Sweetpie!

Don't these people realize how ignorant and rude they are being? Don't diminish the customer, etc, by reducing them to the level of a 2-year old, then expect them to take it from there!
If that is your biggest concern of the day I would say you are having a pretty good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: