Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 12:15 PM

7 posts, read 28,637 times

Advertisements

Within one week, I have found out that I am relocating to Belton in ONE MONTH! I have a family of three. This will be the smallest town we have ever lived in. I have some questions -- advice (not negative comments) are begged for!
1. How are the schools. I have three little ones and schools are my number one priority!
2. Is the town overly conservative or religous? Neither bug me, just don't want views shoved in my face daily!
3. Things to do. As said before, we are a family of five (all 3 kids are boys). We like to do things together as a family ... what's to do. We don't care about shopping.
4. Housing/ Neighborhoods???? I drove around and we saw every extreme imaginable. We really liked lakewood area (the campus at lakewood ... lakewood ..etc) It was stunning. Are there other neighborhoods like that, that we missed?

All advice is welcome.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 01:14 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Jess, you don't have to live in Belton, at least I'd suppose. Central Texas tends to be right of center, not sure if it's conservative. The US Rep is Republican but local state Rep used to be Democrat. Take a look at Temple and the neighborhoods south of Loop 363, east of I35.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:41 PM

65 posts, read 217,751 times
Hey, Jess, I currently live in Belton. The schools are great, frequently getting state recognition and has high test scores. Many people from Temple, Killeen and the surounding areas move here for the schools. The vast majority of people who live in Belton commute to Temple or Killeen to work. The city regularly votes Republican and many people go to church, but I've never felt that anything was forced on me personally. There are alot of great parks around if thats what your interested. For most other things you will have to drive 15 minutes to either Killeen or Temple.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:43 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,663,793 times
Belton has the Bell Expo Center....how can u go wrong?

Old 05-31-2011, 12:55 PM

6 posts, read 22,361 times
Hi, Jess! I moved to Belton about a year ago and I really do love it here. There are quite a few things to do, including shows at the expo center, and the parks that feature evening movies, craft shows and some great concerts. There is also a fairly big water park that my grand-daughter enjoys.
I was also leary of the schools, hearing a lot of negativity about "southern schools" back home in the east, but the grand-daughter is receiving an excellent education at Belton Lake Middle School.
The job oppertunities and economy seem a lot better here too. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2012, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 11,712 times
Hi - I'm moving to TX from San Diego to work in Temple. Someone said to "Take a look at Temple and the neighborhoods south of Loop 363, east of I35." Can anyone tell me what this means? I don't wanna live in a crappy area.....help!!!

Old 07-30-2012, 06:55 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
The core of Temple, the older area, is north of (inside) Loop 363 and east of I-35.

There's newer (not necessarily new) construction between Loop 363 and Belton Lake. This is the west side.

South of Loop 363, which is also Texas Hwy 36, are newer homes and a few very nice neighborhoods. Of those upscale neighborhoods, if you didn't know they were you might never find them.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:56 AM

10 posts, read 37,751 times
I'm thinking about moving to Temple / BeltonD. My Son plays football (Freshman) what schools have the best football program? Is Temple like a Austin Suburb?

Old 08-05-2012, 01:09 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardq View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Temple / BeltonD. My Son plays football (Freshman) what schools have the best football program? Is Temple like a Austin Suburb?
Temple is about an hour north of Austin, plus or minus a speed trap or two. Once you get to Georgetown you're in metro and before you know you're almost to the bat bridge.

UT currently has two quarterbacks - Case McCoy and David Ash - competing for the #1 spot. David Ash was qback at Belton just a couple of years ago. Case McCoy a younger image of the infamous Colt.

Currently...
Quote:
Pigskin prognostications: Texas Football picks Temple, Belton to make playoffs, Yoe to win state title

BY GREG WILLE | TELEGRAM STAFF
Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 4:30 AM

Belton senior and Texas commitment Durham Smythe is the tight end on Texas Football’s “Super Team”

Old 08-05-2012, 01:46 PM

10 posts, read 37,751 times
Thanks for the Texas football info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas