Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:40 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiemNurse8 View Post
I am getting for the move to RVG area, just wondering if you made the move and how did it go? Did you and your family get settled in and find the perfect living location to do it? I will soon be moving to that location and still have a lot of "unknowns". But I'm sure that you know what I mean.

Any way, just wanted some feedback from someone that has been there.

Thanks
If you click on Wandat32's name, there is an option to send her a direct message. That often results in an email being sent to her address, if she set one up in with her profile. You might stand a better chance of contacting her that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:38 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandat32 View Post
My family and I might be moving to the McAllen area. I have a few questions. I mean NO disrespect to anyone at all. These are the same things i ask when thinking about moving anywhere...
1. Is it a nice area for a "younger" family? I have 2 girls that are 11 and 15.
2a. Are the schools good?
2b. Would there be a huge difference from a small school in NE Oklahoma?
3. Will it be a big problem not speaking anything other then English?
4. Now this one has been asked a lot, but I still gotta... Will my girls be ridiculed for being blue eyed? My oldest has almost brown hair and my youngest is brunette.
5. My oldest LOVES to read, very outgoing befriends fairly easily, my youngest is a bit of a worry wart, but loves to make friends... Will they have problems? Both are VERY smart!

I guess that's really my biggest concerns... I've seen were there's a huge change of a culture shock. I'm not too worried about that. I understand every were has crime, but is this a big problem? My husband has been offered a chance to continue working for his company when they move there. He's really worried and undecided. He's lived in small towns all his life... I've lived in small towns and in the country all of my, but I went to school in a big city. Though not all that big... On average there was 75-100 graduates a year.
We're both ready for a change... Not sure which way we want to go. I'm for a move to were ever we need to move. He's ready for a move anywhere, but is worried about our girls. Any information would be WONDERFUL!
Hello, I saw that you were going to move to Mcallen, that is a good area and it's nice. The schools are ok, there probably will be some culture shock since most people will be hispanic and spanish will be their first language, however, the people down there are very friendly and accepting. I don't think you have to worry about your girls having blue eyes, in fact, they are probably going to get more attention because of it! lol. Crime is not that bad, and the area is really not that big, I mean Mcallen has like over 134k, and that's not too big. There are some things to do, but it won't be like living in Houston or anything.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:20 AM

346 posts, read 647,426 times
[quote=wandat32;25532695]My family and I might be moving to the McAllen area. I have a few questions. I mean NO disrespect to anyone at all. These are the same things i ask when thinking about moving anywhere...
1. Is it a nice area for a "younger" family? I have 2 girls that are 11 and 15.
- This is a very family oriented area; in fact, most complaints about life here that I hear are from young singles who would like more clubs or nightlife.

2a. Are the schools good?
- Overall, this area is sharply divided along social class/income...more than by race. So there are good schools and schools with very serious problems. It really depends on location. In comparison to areas like much the larger Texas cities, or even Oklahoma City, there are few overt signs of gang activity and similar problems in many schools, at least in the middle class areas.

2b. Would there be a huge difference from a small school in NE Oklahoma?
Obviously, the culture is different, it is 80+% Hispanic...But there are also similarities. Hunting, fishing, and boating are popular. And while 800,000 people live in Hidalgo county, it still has a rural feel in many places. You may live in an area that is next to a mall, yet see horses in a field across the street.

3. Will it be a big problem not speaking anything other then English? In most of McAllen, especially north McAllen, as well as Edinburg, English is the language of mainstream business (though Spanish is heard).

4. Now this one has been asked a lot, but I still gotta... Will my girls be ridiculed for being blue eyed? My oldest has almost brown hair and my youngest is brunette.
Not at all (though sometimes anyone who has hair lighter than black will be called "blond.") Plus, some Mexicans - especially from Monterrey which is about 120 miles to the south, have light skin, eyes, and hair so don't be shocked if you are assumed to know Spanish. And while North McAllen and Edinburg are majority Hispanic, these areas have a substantial number of non-Hispanic residents. I'll also add that, even with immigration, many Hispanics in McAllen are 3rd, 4th, and 5th generation Americans. Plus, there is a long history of intermarriage, so the divide between "Hispanic" and "White" is not always absolute here. The real divide is between rich and middle class people and poorer people.

5. My oldest LOVES to read, very outgoing befriends fairly easily, my youngest is a bit of a worry wart, but loves to make friends... Will they have problems? Both are VERY smart!

McAllen has two Barnes and Nobles (by contrast, Brownsville and Laredo have none), as well as a large public library. McAllen has several very good parks. The closest zoo is a very small one in Brownsville, but your kids may enjoy the variety of birdlife in McAllen...maybe they will spot some parrots. South Padre Island is most famous for its Spring Break (probably not what you have in mind of your kids) but during the rest of the year it is a good destination.

In general people are friendly, but there are a couple of issues. Driving habits can be irritating; people either speed/race or drive way too slow. Drive defensively and be very careful if your kids like to bike or skate. Also, while it is chilly this week (down to the 40s!) it is HOT for much of the year, and that can get tiring after a while.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:42 AM

5 posts, read 6,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiemNurse8 View Post
I am getting for the move to RVG area, just wondering if you made the move and how did it go? Did you and your family get settled in and find the perfect living location to do it? I will soon be moving to that location and still have a lot of "unknowns". But I'm sure that you know what I mean.

Any way, just wanted some feedback from someone that has been there.

Thanks
I am SO sorry for forgetting to stay up on this thread. We are doing really well. I feel that my worries were a bit out of place. I think for the fact that I was raised in the country and in Very small towns. Please post any questions you may still have. I know it's been a LONG time since you'd posted this. I am adding this to my book marks so I might not be so bad at checking on it. I thank everyone, once again that has posted here, and I am sorry for not replying in SO long :-)

Old 03-05-2014, 01:42 PM

4 posts, read 5,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandat32 View Post
I am SO sorry for forgetting to stay up on this thread. We are doing really well. I feel that my worries were a bit out of place. I think for the fact that I was raised in the country and in Very small towns. Please post any questions you may still have. I know it's been a LONG time since you'd posted this. I am adding this to my book marks so I might not be so bad at checking on it. I thank everyone, once again that has posted here, and I am sorry for not replying in SO long :-)

Hi, I found your post after posting my own thread asking about the area. I currently live in San Antonio and my husbands family lives in McAllen (he is hispanic). I was wondering how was the move for you? I am white and non-spanish speaking and I worry about uprooting my kids (I have 2 from a previous marriage so they are white - son has blue eyes and light hair as well - and do not speak spanish). My main concern is how the environment is if you do not speak spanish? Did your kids adjust fine in school? I have no issues with it being a small town or the diversity, actually that's what I like about it, I just worry about whether or not my kids will be okay not knowing spanish and if there really is a lot of violence in the area like I have read on other threads.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:21 PM

346 posts, read 647,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinbuggy View Post
Hi, I found your post after posting my own thread asking about the area. I currently live in San Antonio and my husbands family lives in McAllen (he is hispanic). I was wondering how was the move for you? I am white and non-spanish speaking and I worry about uprooting my kids (I have 2 from a previous marriage so they are white - son has blue eyes and light hair as well - and do not speak spanish). My main concern is how the environment is if you do not speak spanish? Did your kids adjust fine in school? I have no issues with it being a small town or the diversity, actually that's what I like about it, I just worry about whether or not my kids will be okay not knowing spanish and if there really is a lot of violence in the area like I have read on other threads.
While a lot of people bash the Valley in relation to other Texas cities...I would say this.

If I go to downtown San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, or Houston, I will be hit up by an aggressive panhandler who won't take no for an answer within five minutes, especially after sundown. I will see people who are clearly engaging in gang activity, as well as gang graffiti, in the main avenues of town. I will see clearly intoxicated people in alleys.

In most of the Valley, I won't encounter that in the main parts of the larger towns. Gang activity and overt crime tend to happen in the outskirts.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:21 PM

5 posts, read 6,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinbuggy View Post
Hi, I found your post after posting my own thread asking about the area. I currently live in San Antonio and my husbands family lives in McAllen (he is hispanic). I was wondering how was the move for you? I am white and non-spanish speaking and I worry about uprooting my kids (I have 2 from a previous marriage so they are white - son has blue eyes and light hair as well - and do not speak spanish). My main concern is how the environment is if you do not speak Spanish? Did your kids adjust fine in school? I have no issues with it being a small town or the diversity, actually that's what I like about it, I just worry about whether or not my kids will be okay not knowing Spanish and if there really is a lot of violence in the area like I have read on other threads.
We've all been doing really great! As far as being non-Spanish speaking, after 3 teachers trying to teach me (well 2... one was myself with tapes lol) I've not been able to learn. Only problem I've had is in the work I am able to do they generally Only hire Bi-Lingual, so I've not been able to find a job... Luckily I'm only looking in able to get out of the house, and have found other things to do :-)
Both my girls have done wonderful in school, my youngest is excelling (she's in 6th) My oldest has been as well (she's a JR this year). I was very nervous at first. Mostly do to the fact we'd always lived in small towns (largest we lived in pop was less than 5000, our oldest was only 2 at that time). Plus I wasn't real sure of how big of a change it was going to be when it came to school and the like. A good deal of the people here that speak Spanish are really nice when I say that I don't and can't understand it. The have been Very Few that seem bothered by it. I have came across a handful or so of people in the stores that don't speak English, but they seem to understand it fairly well. I know, that contradicts what I said earlier, but that's beside the point.
Oh, and from what I understand of what both girls have said the majority of the kids here speak English :-) My youngest has a few that forget now and then that she doesn't speak/understand Spanish lol They are teaching her, and my oldest is taking Spanish this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas