Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,270,416 times

Advertisements

Texas is the right place if you're looking to get into the energy business but I would put Midland/Odessa at the top of the list and Houston second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 AM

15 posts, read 21,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Im a native Angeleno that now lives in Plano, Texas just outside of Dallas. I am Middle Eastern and my wife is Asian.

As far as cultural acceptance, that would not be a problem in Dallas (DFW as a whole), Houston, or Austin. All three are extremely tolerant of other cultures, races, and religion. One thing I will caution is that the rural areas and small towns in Texas are less tolerant than those in California (when I say small, Im thinking less than 25k). Urban, suburban, and even exurban areas of the large metro areas are very tolerant.

If your looking for a job in the energy industry, Houston has more of those than the others. DFW has a very diverse economy and Austin's economy is more technology based.

Houston is very humid and the most humid of the three, but the others are pretty hot too. DFW has the closest thing to 4 seasons of the three. Houston has the most moderate winter.

As for which is the best move, I would look for the job or school you want first then decide. All three are great places to live.

Thank You so much, as a Native Angeleno I appreciate your input. I think I will take the time to travel back down there and observe the other two cities. Thanks for including the information about the rural areas. There are rural areas in California with a small population where they are not to fond of big city individuals,so I totally understand. Thank You again

Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 AM

15 posts, read 21,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Houston, though you should absolutely not move here without a job.

Houston or Dallas, Austin much less so.

Houston.

Yes, but you'll be indoors most of the time.
Thank You so much for taking the time to respond to my post. Yes getting that job is the most important. Although I don't work here in California, having at least a year of saving could be a little easier in Texas. I think I am going to stay put for about another 3 months but in the meantime will my way back to there to do a compare and contrast based on some of the information this site has provided.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,838,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliLady1 View Post
Thank You so much for taking the time to respond to my post. Yes getting that job is the most important. Although I don't work here in California, having at least a year of saving could be a little easier in Texas. I think I am going to stay put for about another 3 months but in the meantime will my way back to there to do a compare and contrast based on some of the information this site has provided.
I grew up in Houston, came to San Antonio for college, stayed here ever since. The traffic in Houston drove me crazy
the humidity in Houston is more than the other cities, but, the rainfall is also more than those. I love San Antonio, and as far as energy, thats a vague term, if you have a specific area of that field, that might help. the rural areas just south of San Antonio are blowing up right now with several Oil companies that are Fracking and drilling. So, depending on your area of interest and expertise, you might want to consider this area. cost of living is lower, traffic is better than all three of the others, and its a good laid back place to live. My Opinion, from living in Houston and San Antonio.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:56 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,421,476 times
I skimmed over the previous posts and got the impression they contain a lot of good advice. I would add that, if you're coming from certain parts of CA (e.g., the coast), moving to any place in Texas will require a big adjustment in terms of climate. People here like to contrast their with others in TX, but they are all pretty nasty in the summertime compared to coastal CA.

That said, I think any of the places mentioned are OK places in that regard, at least for sometime who will be working indoors during the summer.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,054,525 times
San Antonio is the best for money

Old 10-10-2012, 02:40 AM

656 posts, read 1,356,492 times
Why not look into Fort Worth? And by the way there is barely any humidity in DFW... All these native texans don't know what a real high index humidity feels like I came from the northeast where it's crazy humid in summers. However it does get real hot and stays real hot a lot longer. More of a dry heat though.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
Why not look into Fort Worth? And by the way there is barely any humidity in DFW... All these native texans don't know what a real high index humidity feels like I came from the northeast where it's crazy humid in summers. However it does get real hot and stays real hot a lot longer. More of a dry heat though.
Barely any humidity in DFW? You've GOT to be kidding.

All depends on what you're used to. Yes, some of us native Texans DO know what a "high index humidity" feels like in other places besides Texas.

Compared to West Texas and the Panhandle, DFW IS humid--miserably hot and humid! But then, much of Texas is, save the two areas mentioned.

I suppose it does feel "dry" to you, but DFW is definitely humid, and those who think it isn't have no idea what a truly dry, low-humidity climate feels like.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 10-10-2012 at 06:43 AM..

Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,168,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Barely any humidity in DFW? You've GOT to be kidding.
The comparison was being made between DFW and the NE - presuming the Seattle area. So using Seattle and far West Texas as a basis, I would have to agree that the DFW area falls somewhere midway between "Very Humid" and "Arid."

PS I just returned from the Seattle area, where there hadn't been rain for over 90 days. And it hit 100F in August of this year.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:43 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
The comparison was being made between DFW and the NE - presuming the Seattle area. So using Seattle and far West Texas as a basis, I would have to agree that the DFW area falls somewhere midway between "Very Humid" and "Arid."

PS I just returned from the Seattle area, where there hadn't been rain for over 90 days. And it hit 100F in August of this year.
Joqua, the last time I looked, Seattle was not in the NE...did they move it or something?

I imagine Seattle is dying with those temperatures, since AC in housing is apparently not very common.

I was in Dallas in May--and I really noticed the heat and humidity! It was nice to get home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas