Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,178 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Amarillo from the Northeast for work, and I have some questions.

First, the cost of living seems too good to be true! I am paying $2,400 per month for a 1 bedroom apartment where I am now, and it seems you can get a LOT more for your money down there. This makes me very excited. I don't necessarily need a large home because I'm a single 30 year old professional female who lives with her small dog. I do want to find the most luxurious option that makes sense for me and my situation. I saw some seemingly beautiful, new construction homes advertised for rent on Craigslist that were running around the $1,500-$1,700 range. Dreamy! What do you recommend?

Also, how would you recommend I try to network with people who might want to socialize with me? Are there any social gathering places that are fun, but not necessarily "hook up, night clubbish" places?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:10 PM

751 posts, read 1,483,219 times
There are several of us on CD here that live in or just outside Amarillo. Most will agree that it is a great place to live, and most will give you a hearty WELCOME TO AMARILLO!

First off the rent. Yes, that is around the going rate for a nice home in a nice area of town. Stay on the SW part of Amarillo and you will do just fine for a fresh face in the new town. SW could be more narrowed down to South of I-40, and West of Coulter and likely stay in the same price range. If you want to live outside the city limits there might be a rental or two between Amarillo and Canyon that would make you a bit more "country". Don't discount the city of Canyon, it is a real nice place, wonderful schools, great small town feel and all of Amarillo is less than a 30 minute commute. a large % of folks living in Canyon commute to Amarillo each day, and vice versa. Canyon Independent School District is a fantastic district (there are several other districts in Amarillo) that covers much of the SW part of Amarillo anyhow.

As for making friends, the best advice I can give is to research things you like to do, and there is little doubt you can find other like-minded individuals to share your interests. Be open minded, and don't put down where you are, in favor of where you came from. If you do, you will find fewer people willing to be your friend. Actually might find the only folks that want to be your friend are the "where I live sucks" crowd, that seems to be in every city in America.

If you do church, there are plenty to choose from. If not, you will still find a crowd of folks that think the same. In either case don't push your beliefs, and folks from the other crowd will be your friend too.

If you like bicycle riding, there is a large contingent of cyclists around, plus plenty of places to ride. If you like art, there is a small art community, a symphony, and the requisite high school band concerts. If you like sports there is a local hockey team, baseball team, and of course high school sports. West Texas A&M (in Canyon) has a new sports complex, and an active college level sports program.

Don't forget Palo Duro Canyon (outside Canyon). A great place to camp, hike, bike ride, and summer time to see a local production called "Texas". A real 'must-see' right there. It is close enough for an afternoon visit if you like the outdoors.

Route 66 goes through downtown Amarillo, and there is a bunch of character on "the Boulevard" which comprises a few blocks of downtown. Biker bars, tattoo shops, antique shops, a few restaurants... You'll find a few bums, a few bikers (and some wannabe's), and plenty of folks in the younger middle-age bracket just walking around comprising and soaking up some local flavor.

You sound excited to move here, and as long as you keep that excitement, you will do great. It won't take you long to go through the whole basket that makes up Amarillo, and you will certainly find your fair share of downer folks, but keep an open mind and you will find some of the most real, most caring, and most beautiful people in Texas.

I've lived in the Texas Panhandle for almost 30 years now, although only 2 in the immediate Amarillo area. Amarillo has always been a great place to visit, and now that I work here my family and I couldn't be happier.

Again, welcome to Amarillo!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,409,031 times
Be sure to fly down to visit for a week or so before you decide to move. You might be blasted by culture shock as the isolation and the flat plains of west Texas are everyone's cup of tea.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Be sure to fly down to visit for a week or so before you decide to move. You might be blasted by culture shock as the isolation and the flat plains of west Texas are everyone's cup of tea.
Very true! Also, it gets really, really cold in Amarillo in the winter. The wind starts blowing in Canada, and there's nothing to slow it down! It also gets extremely hot in the summer, and when the wind blows a certain direction, the smell of the cattle feedlots will blow through town. Depending where you are in "the northeast" this climate might be a big adjustment for you.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:58 PM

751 posts, read 1,483,219 times
It does get really, really cold in Amarillo in the wintertime, but seldom for longer than a few days. Out and about today there were plenty of folks wearing short sleeves and shorts. Tomorrow won't be so, but by next weekend it could be possible again.

The wild swings of weather are something that everyone around here just has to get used to, however the swings always seem to settle out to warm and windy.

The cattle smell is not terribly common, but it does happen. Having grown up in deep West Texas, then spending my entire adulthood in the Panhandle, I might be a tiny bit used to the smell of cattle. Had a feedlot owner tell me once years ago, "When the market's up, that's the smell of money. When the market's down, it smells like what it is".

OP, if you are coming from a metro area, Amarillo will be an incredible culture shock. After all, a true metro area takes a bit of driving to get to. If you are more of a rural person, you will easily find a home here though.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
Just be prepared to make some adjustments in habits and attitudes. Texas is VERY different from the northeast in many ways. Its a great place to live, but there are adjustments. I hope you like wide open spaces and driving a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas