Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 'Texanisms" Are Part of Your Regular Use?
"Coke" for soft-drink 29 69.05%
"Y'all" for second-person plural pronoun 38 90.48%
"Yonder" 10 23.81%
Double-Modals (i.e. "might-could", "shouldn't oughta", etc) 10 23.81%
Emphasis on first syllable to make two syllables (i.e. "IN-surance", "IN-velope", etc) 10 23.81%
Rolling R's (i.e. "warsh" for "wash",etc). 3 7.14%
"Doodlebug" for "Roly-Poly" 13 30.95%
"Cotton-Pickin Hands" (as in mild, friendly critique of manners) 4 9.52%
Tex-izz as opposed to Tex-iss, when pronouncing our state 10 23.81%
Others (please list!). 7 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 05:25 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texashorselady View Post
in most urban areas (actually, every urban area that i've been in in the last 63 years), i'm asked if i want a coke (in a restaurant or a private home), and i say yes, and they ask "what kind", and then i usually say dr pepper.

So i beg to differ with your statement above.
Well, YMMV. I'm sure most people who reside in large cities would be more inclined to agree with me, though.

Us city folks is too sofistuhkated to use misnomers like "coke" for all soft drinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,647,192 times
You know, I remember the "coke" thing, but I don't use it myself. I'm not at all familiar the phrase "cotton-pickin hands", except maybe in something like "Get your cotton-pickin hands off my purse." Never used rolling R's in my life, but double-modals, yeah...just didn't know there was a fancy term for it. Yonder and y'all, sometimes I use those. I'm a native-born Texan.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, YMMV. I'm sure most people who reside in large cities would be more inclined to agree with me, though.

Us city folks is too sofistuhkated to use misnomers like "coke" for all soft drinks.
That hasn't been my experience; I was born and raised in Dallas. Not in the suburbs, either. Dallas Dallas. So....

Old 11-07-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That hasn't been my experience; I was born and raised in Dallas. Not in the suburbs, either. Dallas Dallas. So....
Okay. Like I told the other gal, YMMV.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Okay. Like I told the other gal, YMMV.
I think you're in the minority here.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:37 AM
rwr

268 posts, read 612,289 times
How 'bout usin' coulda, woulda, and shoulda? I am guilty as charged. But" wait just a cotton-pickin' minute", I probably use them all except coke... I have never even done maryjuwana.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:08 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Kinda interesting on how a sub-topic evolved from the general one, and focuses on "coke vs. soda". But anyway, I think LS and THL and others explained it very well.

That is to say, sure, one is very likely to give the specific name of the product if asked what they want to drink in a restaurant or fast-food joint (which only serves soft-drinks).

At the same time, unlike in some other parts of the country, I don't think any native Texan working in the same would have a problem understanding what is meant if a customer asks "What kind of cokes do you have?" (or something akin). Likewise, if one is entertaining in their home and serving guests, if the host asks "does anybody want a coke?"...then I think it can be fairly assumed what is meant.

As was mentioned earlier, the posted map seems on the money.

With that said though, I do agree that there possibly could be an "older white" component to all this. For instance, my classroom aide for many years was a black man and he and I would discuss this sometime. In almost all other areas of idiom, we shared a lot of the same Texas/Southern lingo...but he called them sodas and I called them cokes. I notice that my students -- thru the years -- tend to follow the same general pattern on that...

Also, yeah, the influx of northern and west-coast transplants has had an impact, especially in the larger cities. And the mass-media society we live in has undoubtably diluted the use of "coke" among certain segments of the younger native Texas population.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think you're in the minority here.
Think whatever you'd like.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:49 AM

Default Blue Norther

Another "Texanism", that I should have included as a major choice is "Blue Norther". It is almost exclusively confined to Texas. How many of y'all remember/use that one?

Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Another "other" I hear are e's & i's pronounced the exact same. I know I do it too. Examples like: pen and pin are pronounced the same By a lot of Texans just like ten and tin. I also get corrected when I say "invelope" instead of correctly saying envelope (AHN-vuh-lope). I have to remind myself all the time the en in envelope is the same as the en in entrepreneur.
This is another good one, RonD. That is, the "merger". Pin and pen, ten and tin, and (if it fits into the frame-work), a tendency of Texans/Southerners to pronounce such words as "merry, Mary and marry" pretty much alike (lord, did I just use another double-modal? LOL).

On the proverbial related tangent (as usually happens), I look back over my wording, and realize I made mistakes in wording/clarity.

For instance, as you (and LS) note, the emphasis on the first syllable, is NOT to make two-syllables...but really, three, in some cases. And, further, not really creating a seperate syllable, but just putting a major inflection on the first. As LS said, something like trash "COM pac -tor" And, of course, "IN -vuh - lope"

An "enVEL-up" is something one does with their arms with their significant other on a cold night!

And geez, dont get me started on "advertizement". It is "AD -ver-Tiz-munt" (strong emphasis on first syllable, and slight on the third).

The yankee "ad-VER-tizmunt" makes me wonder how the hell we ever lost the War.

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-11-2012 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas