Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 07:19 AM

17 posts, read 56,559 times

Advertisements

I am Native American and since moving to Texas I have not been able to find any information on HealthCare Facilities..ie Hospital or Dr. clinics that I can be seen at.
My husband and I both work full time, and we have health insurance thru his Union, but its HORRIBLE coverage!
I searched the forum, first for SA..and then ALL of TX...I know of a Reservation in Eagle Pass, but that is an awful long drive for a check-up from SA...I think that the Native American poplulation here is about is about .02%, but it just seems like there Must be something available.
I moved from Oregon, and I'm not sure how the numbers compare, but I lived in every area (East, West, North, South) of the state and always had a facility with in an hour drive...
I just wondered if any other enrolled Native Americans were fellow CD'rs, and could help me. Thanks So Much

Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-15-2012 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: the answer is no... it is not permitted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 01:54 PM

17 posts, read 56,559 times
it says this thread was moved, where to?
and I understand that you can only ask post it in one forum...this was the only one I posted it to.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:10 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Oklahoma has many NA healthcare facilities. I've had several employees who preferred to go to those for surgeries, etc.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:21 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
IF she is SA and Eagle Pass is a long way then I bet OK is a bit to far.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:27 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
There are only 3 Indian reservations in Texas. One at Eagle Pass, one near El Paso and one in East Texas over by Livingston. None of them are very big or serve very many tribal members.

That stems from Texas history. The Texian's fought the Indian's for control of the what's now Texas for about 70 years and won. When Texas was accepted into the union, all unclaimed lands belonged to the state, not the federal government, and the Indian's remaining in Texas at the time were removed, mostly to Oklahoma.

The point is that because of that history, there aren't many Indian's in the state who haven't migrated back here at some time for jobs or living space, just like every other immigrant. Consequently, there aren't any organized groups of Indian's in enough concentration in enough places to warrant the building of Indian healthcare services.

So...according to the Indian Health Services website there are NO facilities anywhere in Texas.

Find Health Care

I can't say how they manage healthcare for Indian's in non-tribal areas. They may contract it out to local providers. Since the nearest tribe to you is the Kickapoo's near Eagle Pass, perhaps you could call the tribal offices in Horton, KS and ask them:

Kickapoo

Or, better yet, talk to the tribal offices for whatever tribe you belong to.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:50 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
IF she is SA and Eagle Pass is a long way then I bet OK is a bit to far.
Oklahoma City is 3 hours from Dallas. Eagle Pass is 8 hours. Big difference!

Do look up the OK tribes and see what they have. The Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations have big hospitals in Oklahoma if I remember correctly.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:50 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Oklahoma City is 3 hours from Dallas. Eagle Pass is 8 hours. Big difference!

Do look up the OK tribes and see what they have. The Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations have big hospitals in Oklahoma if I remember correctly.
Well, since the OP in in SA not Dallas, those numbers don't matter much. SA is about 7 /12 hours from OKC and only a little over 2 to Eagle Pass. However, there are lots of Indian services throughout southern Oklahoma, so going to OKC would not be necessary. Still, either choice would be too far for a doctors appointment.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 11,082 times
It all depends on where in ts. you live. North of Wichita Falls about to Lawtion about an hour away is the comanche Hospitsl and clinic. North of gainesville on I-35 There is one clinic in Ardmore. Also on 377N into Oklahoma, the chicasaws have a clinic in Tishamingo. it is in the eastside but has little signes pointing the way.Follow H377 to 6th street and go east about 10 blocks There is also a chickasaw nation hospital about 4o miles from tishamingo 377N . It's located on stone cypher and is only about3 yrs old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas