Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 10:49 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times

Advertisements

Jerry Jones is the problem and we are never going to get rid of him. I stopped following them years ago, I can't stand the man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 12:42 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Why would you think Gay men would be interested in a scrawny little effeminate-looking man? The ones I know work like crazy to not be skinny or look femmy. They seldom totally succeed, but my point is that they hate that aspect of themselves and so do not wish to import it from others.

In reality, Gay men go crazy over Tim Tebow (until they hear him talk, and then they're all like "Oh who does she think she's fooling! I'm over that one.") because he's massive and rugged/masculine looking (until he moves or speaks). And I've heard them go "daaaaayum!" over that giant blond guy with the long hair who used to play for the Saints. And they think Brett Favre is the most wonderful thing that ever happened. But he's no prettyboy. Favre is a DADDY. He's hairy. He looks normal. And when he emailed those pics of his parts to that dumb girl who turned him down, it was like manna had fallen from Heaven. I went in to my Colorist, and they could not WAIT to show me what big Brett had revealed (not the most enhancing camera angle, if you ask me...).

I think it's a different sport, but they also think John Rocker is the ultimate: "He may hate us, but he's a total stud." And there's a sport in Europe I can't remember... but Gay men are going crazy about a star in that sport named Ben Cohen. His appeal is that he's really hairy, a bit chubby, and pretty-much the total opposite of a prettyboy. Again, he's a normal DADDY.

And back in the Eighties, every Gay man in America watched professional wrestling, because of those hunky, raw-boned Von Erichs. Kerry Von Erich looked absolutely NOTHING like Tony Romo. I learned not to schedule our Economics/Marketing/Psych study groups for times when our Gay members would be home watching The Von Erichs and the Ultimate Warrior (I think they were doin' more than 'watchin'...but that's just good, clean fun, too!).

Maybe you watched a lot of 'Q***r Eye for the Straight Guy'? Or maybe you followed 'Q***r as Folk' when it was on cable? If so, be aware that the target demographic for those shows was the same as for 'Sex and the City': women. What you were showed was what the Mainstream Media thinks women think Gay men prefer and are like. It's about pandering to female fantasies.

Most women like squirmy little over-groomed men. They like mutilated eyebrows, and everything else that makes a man look not-so-manly. So you're right: they'll love Tony Romo. He's an ordinary girl's idea of 'handsome'.

And I think a lot of overweight hetero guys will respond to his looks, in the same way that hetero women respond to the way pretty female models look. There's more to attraction than sexual attraction. As my Cajun in-laws say: "Pretty's Pretty". And pretty sells. Although, frankly, all I can see on Romo that's pretty is the outline of his pecs. That face is a disaster.

Actually, my two best Gay friends look about like him. They WANT to look like Branch Warren, but they're Sephardic Jews, not European peasants, and the amount of muscle Tony Romo is packin' is all they can manage, even after decades of heavy lifting and personal trainers. Anyway, they look like Tony Romo, and are not happy about it. In the Gay world, they're nobody's type. Nobody, that is, except for Hispanics, who make a beeline for them. So, again, you're right. Romo's looks may be exciting to the Hispanic market Football's owners are seeing as the wave of the future.

Interesting you should see Romo's presence as having to do with 'placement' rather than 'talent'. Most sports fans think talent will get people to where they belong. Kudos to you, OP, for not being so naive!!!!

Once, we rented a house in the Malibu Colony. Up a couple of houses from us was a couple who owned a sports team. They were members of our 'tribe', and we got chummy. It came out that yes, they do 'promote' certain players because they make good TV: because they're beautiful to look at.

But more than anything, I think it's the guy's name. 'Tony Romo' works on so many levels. Hispanics will identify with it. Italians will identify with it. Guys with masculinity issues will want to 'import' the vibe they get off it. It sounds 'cool'. It sounds butch. It even has that 1950s detective movie hero kind of sound.

I think you're 100% right, except for his appeal to (overtly) Gay guys.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:11 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Even Cowboy haters and Romo detractors can tell ya he works his ass off, and learned his lesson about "fame" during that debacle of a playoff knockout in 2007.
I'm sure he works hard, but I really don't believe this at all. I don't know him personally, but I've seen him at plenty of Mavs games on a Friday night before a Sunday game and listened to his press conferences, and he sounds like me when I screw up at work, not like someone who is driven by the fire to win and not much else, contrast with Michael Jordan as an example.

However, I agree that a legitimate coach who held him accountable for his stupid mistakes would help a lot. I don't think Jason Garrett is that guy, because no-one is holding him responsible for his stupid mistakes.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:31 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Why would you think Gay men would be interested in a scrawny little effeminate-looking man? The ones I know work like crazy to not be skinny or look femmy. They seldom totally succeed, but my point is that they hate that aspect of themselves and so do not wish to import it from others.

In reality, Gay men go crazy over Tim Tebow (until they hear him talk, and then they're all like "Oh who does she think she's fooling! I'm over that one.") because he's massive and rugged/masculine looking (until he moves or speaks). And I've heard them go "daaaaayum!" over that giant blond guy with the long hair who used to play for the Saints. And they think Brett Favre is the most wonderful thing that ever happened. But he's no prettyboy. Favre is a DADDY. He's hairy. He looks normal. And when he emailed those pics of his parts to that dumb girl who turned him down, it was like manna had fallen from Heaven. I went in to my Colorist, and they could not WAIT to show me what big Brett had revealed (not the most enhancing camera angle, if you ask me...).

I think it's a different sport, but they also think John Rocker is the ultimate: "He may hate us, but he's a total stud." And there's a sport in Europe I can't remember... but Gay men are going crazy about a star in that sport named Ben Cohen. His appeal is that he's really hairy, a bit chubby, and pretty-much the total opposite of a prettyboy. Again, he's a normal DADDY.

And back in the Eighties, every Gay man in America watched professional wrestling, because of those hunky, raw-boned Von Erichs. Kerry Von Erich looked absolutely NOTHING like Tony Romo. I learned not to schedule our Economics/Marketing/Psych study groups for times when our Gay members would be home watching The Von Erichs and the Ultimate Warrior (I think they were doin' more than 'watchin'...but that's just good, clean fun, too!).

Maybe you watched a lot of 'Q***r Eye for the Straight Guy'? Or maybe you followed 'Q***r as Folk' when it was on cable? If so, be aware that the target demographic for those shows was the same as for 'Sex and the City': women. What you were showed was what the Mainstream Media thinks women think Gay men prefer and are like. It's about pandering to female fantasies.

Most women like squirmy little over-groomed men. They like mutilated eyebrows, and everything else that makes a man look not-so-manly. So you're right: they'll love Tony Romo. He's an ordinary girl's idea of 'handsome'.

And I think a lot of overweight hetero guys will respond to his looks, in the same way that hetero women respond to the way pretty female models look. There's more to attraction than sexual attraction. As my Cajun in-laws say: "Pretty's Pretty". And pretty sells. Although, frankly, all I can see on Romo that's pretty is the outline of his pecs. That face is a disaster.

Actually, my two best Gay friends look about like him. They WANT to look like Branch Warren, but they're Sephardic Jews, not European peasants, and the amount of muscle Tony Romo is packin' is all they can manage, even after decades of heavy lifting and personal trainers. Anyway, they look like Tony Romo, and are not happy about it. In the Gay world, they're nobody's type. Nobody, that is, except for Hispanics, who make a beeline for them. So, again, you're right. Romo's looks may be exciting to the Hispanic market Football's owners are seeing as the wave of the future.

Interesting you should see Romo's presence as having to do with 'placement' rather than 'talent'. Most sports fans think talent will get people to where they belong. Kudos to you, OP, for not being so naive!!!!

Once, we rented a house in the Malibu Colony. Up a couple of houses from us was a couple who owned a sports team. They were members of our 'tribe', and we got chummy. It came out that yes, they do 'promote' certain players because they make good TV: because they're beautiful to look at.

But more than anything, I think it's the guy's name. 'Tony Romo' works on so many levels. Hispanics will identify with it. Italians will identify with it. Guys with masculinity issues will want to 'import' the vibe they get off it. It sounds 'cool'. It sounds butch. It even has that 1950s detective movie hero kind of sound.

WOW. Thanks for a good post. For the life of me, I don't see how any other gay man or anyone could find Tony Romo to be unattractive! Yes, I find all of the other guys that you mention to also be attractive, except when you find out more about their personal views. Tebow is a repulsive "jesus freak", Rocker just all-out hates gays. The Saints QB Drew Brees (who used to be with Phoenix cardinals) is very hot and also progressive. I like Kluwe of Minnesota Vikings because he is adamantly pro-gay politically and also HOTT.
Soccer obviously exposes more of their bodies and more fun to watch. I'm a big fan of Teams Brazil, Portugal & Italy. Ben Cohen is also a high profile politically pro-gay advocate.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

I think you speak for a very specific subset of gay men. We don't all go for the the hairy chubby daddy type. I certainly don't. Bret Favre and Tim Tebow do nothing for me. I'd take Tom Brady over all of them.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:59 PM

349 posts, read 260,572 times
The term "Field General" comes to mind. A quarterback who not only possesses the talent and skill, but also has the charisma of being a leader. One who can mold a team in the locker room as well as the field. One who instantly recognizes a particular defense employed against him, and can alter the situation with a few shouts prior to snapping the ball.

As a successful quarterback, one has to be an effective field general. Think of Peyton Manning taking the Denver Broncos from obscurity to the best standing in the AFC. Think of Robert Griffin III taking the Washington Redskins from 3-6, to 10-6. Think of Steve Young and his predecessor Joe Montana. Think of Brett Favre; Joe Namath; Dan Marino; John Elway.

When the Houston Texans were created, their franchise quarterback was David Carr. Sure, he had some pretty good stats. But, he was not a field general.

Tony Romo has some pretty good stats. But, I don't believe him to be a field general.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:08 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
The term "Field General" comes to mind. A quarterback who not only possesses the talent and skill, but also has the charisma of being a leader. One who can mold a team in the locker room as well as the field. One who instantly recognizes a particular defense employed against him, and can alter the situation with a few shouts prior to snapping the ball.

As a successful quarterback, one has to be an effective field general. Think of Peyton Manning taking the Denver Broncos from obscurity to the best standing in the AFC. Think of Robert Griffin III taking the Washington Redskins from 3-6, to 10-6. Think of Steve Young and his predecessor Joe Montana. Think of Brett Favre; Joe Namath; Dan Marino; John Elway.

When the Houston Texans were created, their franchise quarterback was David Carr. Sure, he had some pretty good stats. But, he was not a field general.

Tony Romo has some pretty good stats. But, I don't believe him to be a field general.
I know that most would agree with you. What do you think of Troy Aikman or Roger Staubach?

Old 01-01-2013, 04:39 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
"Is this thread only here because the OP has a crush on Tony Romo?" Possibly.

Half the posts in this thread are discussing whether or not one of the most Average Joe looking white athletes I've ever seen is attractive.

Rob Gronkowski and Tim Tebow could get it before Romo could. Just saying...

Old 01-01-2013, 04:57 PM

349 posts, read 260,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I know that most would agree with you. What do you think of Troy Aikman or Roger Staubach?
Troy has three Superbowl rings which was largely the result of a great supporting cast. Once Jimmy Johnson left, it all went to hell-in-a-hand-basket. Troy does not qualify as a filed general in my opinion.

Roger only has one Superbowl ring. I would classify him as a field general because he made for some very exciting football in my youthful days.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:19 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think you speak for a very specific subset of gay men. We don't all go for the the hairy chubby daddy type. I certainly don't. Bret Favre and Tim Tebow do nothing for me. I'd take Tom Brady over all of them.
I looked him up, and I see what you mean. Before the stylists destroyed him and gave him his little 'up-do', he seems to have been seriously hot. With bangs and/or a beard, he's definitely fine!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas