Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 07:03 PM

944 posts, read 3,943,790 times

Advertisements

Texans, let's admit it, no matter where we live, there are only 2 REAL cities in this state, DFW and H-town. Yeah, San Antonio, Austin and El Paso are cities but they're not CITIES, am I right?

So, here's the question, and I mean this in all good sport, no personal insults allowed:

Which city is the BEST and WHY, between Dallas and Houston?

I'll offer the opening volley in what I hope will be a lively Texas-friendly smack-down.

Houston might have heinous humidity, traffic, smog and floods, but I think it beats Dallas hands-down for culture. Seems like far more musicians, artists, and other interesting cultural types come from H-town. Dallas is good for... ummm..... shopping? And, uh... Malls?

Houston has a more cosmopolitan, multicultural vibe to me. OK, so one of the cultures happens to consist of cockroaches the size of economy cars, but heck, if we can train them then maybe we can use them to get around town and save on our energy bills, right?

Houston is a port city, it's near the ocean and it's very GREEN with beautiful big trees. Dallas is landlocked and doesn't even have an attractive waterway like San Antonio and Austin.

Anybody wanna take a shot at this? Which city represents Texas best? ALL IN GOOD FUN! Cuz I don't want this thread deleted or locked....

Old 01-24-2007, 07:06 PM

147 posts, read 239,202 times
Default No comparison

The two cities are so different it is not worth debating. Furthermore, it is almost as if they are in different states. Dallas is Dallas and Houston is Houston.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:48 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,265,572 times
You make some good points deeptrance, but I would say that Dallas is the best TEXAS city. Houston is a good American city that just happens to be in Texas but Dallas has that true Texas feel to it and everything Texan is better than everything non-Texan.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:37 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,384,201 times
Yeah, Dallas does fit the "Texan" stereotype more than Houston does. Houston is more international than Dallas. Houston as the third most international consulates in America.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:33 PM

944 posts, read 3,943,790 times
Nice responses! I agree with all of you. Is that it? Smackdown ends so easily?

I agree that Dallas and Houston might as well be in totally different states, and I agree that Dallas is more "Texan" whereas Houston is more "international." But that's kind of what I said in my opening post, that Houston is the REAL city in Texas. I just didn't think about the fact that Houston's international cosmopolitan flavor makes it less Texan and therefore possibly disqualifies it for the smackdown.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:19 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,783,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
Texans, let's admit it, no matter where we live, there are only 2 REAL cities in this state, DFW and H-town. Yeah, San Antonio, Austin and El Paso are cities but they're not CITIES, am I right?
IF I had to choose between the two, I'd take Dallas if for no other reason than the humidity is much less....and they're not subject to hurricanes as Houston is. Dallas also gets more of a winter than Houston, so that's another "plus."

But....having said that, I am not really a big city person....and would not really want to live in a place any larger than where I am now. I am such a wuss that traffic in EITHER place drives me NUTZO!!!

IF I had to live in a big city in TX....it would be El Paso.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:58 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,777,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
Nice responses! I agree with all of you. Is that it? Smackdown ends so easily?

I agree that Dallas and Houston might as well be in totally different states, and I agree that Dallas is more "Texan" whereas Houston is more "international." But that's kind of what I said in my opening post, that Houston is the REAL city in Texas. I just didn't think about the fact that Houston's international cosmopolitan flavor makes it less Texan and therefore possibly disqualifies it for the smackdown.
Oh, so true. Sometimes Houston doesn't feel like it's in Texas. When I lived in Austin, it felt so much more like Texas.

The thing about Austin is it doesn't have the big city amenities Dallas and Houston do (even though it would like to think it does sometimes...) Same can be said of San Antonio.

But back to the rivalry, a funny thing I remember... during the picks for the 2012 Olympic finalist cities, both Dallas and Houston were in the running. The committee visited Dallas first, the Dallas folks warned them of all these supposed horrid things in Houston... when they got to Houston they were so pleasantly surprised that there was a whole article written about it in the local paper. Anyway, in the end Houston made the final 4 U.S. finalists and Dallas didn't Of course in the end NYC became the U.S. finalist.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:41 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,384,201 times
And Houston was again considered for the U.S. 2016 Bid, along with Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
IF I had to choose between the two, I'd take Dallas if for no other reason than the humidity is much less....and they're not subject to hurricanes as Houston is. Dallas also gets more of a winter than Houston, so that's another "plus."

But....having said that, I am not really a big city person....and would not really want to live in a place any larger than where I am now. I am such a wuss that traffic in EITHER place drives me NUTZO!!!

IF I had to live in a big city in TX....it would be El Paso.

Dallas may to get hurricanes, but they get tornadoes more than Houston. The winters in Dallas suck. The roads get icy, and they don't take care of it until the icy had almost already melted. Every time it gets icy, there are so many accidents throughout the Metroplex. I like Houston's winters better. It is usually sunny out and 40-50 degrees. Sometimes it rains, but it rarely gets icy and you don't start slipping all over the place like in Dallas.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:12 AM

2,800 posts, read 9,985,412 times
Well, I haven't made it to Texas yet, but I choose Dallas over Houston. It was a toss up between Dallas and San Antonio (and Tyler, which to me is still somewhat part of Dallas)...Hosuton was NEVER in the running. I will take my chances ANY day with a tornado as opposed to a hurricane. Tornados usually come and go rather quickly and your house may or may not get hit etc. With a hurricane, geesh, it can last a while and pretty much can take everything away! Also, Dallas doesn't have crocs and gators! OMG, I would lose it if I was to run into one
But hey, I'm looking for "Texas" not international...

Great post! I love it that everyone can give an opinion and no arguments lol This is GREAT!

Old 01-26-2007, 07:55 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,020,614 times
Well, I will give a non-native, from-the-progressive-NW opinion... there is no city in Texas worth living, other than Austin! I know many people who share a similar viewpoint. It's Texas, without being Texas.

I love it and am so happy we moved here!

I have been to Dallas several times, and I could never live there... Houston, never been - but not feeling like I need to visit either. Though, my interest is piqued a bit as I am confused at what makes it so "International".

I am also interested in what "Big City Amenities" I am missing down here?? I am from Seattle, and before that, the DC area... so I think I've experienced several cities, and can't think of what is lacking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas