Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:05 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,625,432 times

Advertisements

I just want to say maybe MAYBE we discuss this in a mature manner. But with that said I haven't been to DFW since late 08/early 09. I've always said bar none Houston had the best skylines in Texas. Btw, I live in Houston and don't plan on moving anywhere else in the state. However I drove into Dallas this friday night on 45 and was amazed how different Dallas skyline looks from the last time I been to the city. I mean, I always thought Dallas had Houston beat at night but overrall Houston had the better skyline but DAMN! Dallas just took a huge dump with it's new developments. I've seen so many pictures of the new projects Dallas have put up but to see it in person. It's awhole different feeling. I know there's plenty of Dallas vs. Houston threads. Trust me I still pick Houston over Dallas for me, however I felt a little jealous to see the architecture Dallas buildings have over Houston. It's as if Dallas knows the importance of image and are pushing the envelope of architecture in Texas whereas Houston is just building buildings w/ no artistic soul. And it hurts me to say this because I've always picked Houston over Dallas,lol. I tip my hat off to the city of Dallas.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:01 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Between Downtown, Uptown, Victory Park, Stemmons, & Medical Center's latest boom Dallas' overall skyline is really starting to take shape & blur the lines between what seperates & distinguishes them creating one gigantic skyline from afar.

Houston's downtown is in a word, MASSIVE & easily twice the size of Dallas', but there is nothing immediately around it for miles with the Texas Medical Center & Greenway Plaza being the next closest cluster of buildings. It sits all alone.

Houston builds TALL, Dallas builds dense.

Take your pick.

If 5 Allen Center ever gets up & running Downtown Houston will be looking at another boom for sure adding yet another 600+ foot building to its skyline in the past 2 years.

Dallas was lucky to get the 560' Museum Tower, nothing has gone up that tall in at least 20-25 years.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 06-04-2012 at 12:11 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 12:26 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Houston really needs to do something about some of the skyskrapers that continue to just sit in the middle of downtown and rott. Driving on the pierce elevated freeway, the old days inn and old central square buildings are a major eyesore. Dallas does not have any buildings that look like that in their downtown and that kind of gets me frustrated with the City of Houston.

As far as mass and size, Downtown Houston is still larger, but downtown Dallas has grown to be comparable now, and much sleeker and modern feeling. I hope something starts to reignite east of 59 with the opening of the new Dynamo Stadium. That entire area is screaming for redevelopment. Some are speculating that area is really about to take off with the opening of the new lightrail lines and the New Dynamo Stadium. The thing that's kind of discouraging is that history tends to repeat itself. We expected a read resurgence of downtown with the opening of MM park and Toyota Center too!

BTW. Whatever happened to the previous Dallas/Houston thread. The one that was formerly known as the Smackdown thread? Did removing the "smackdown" from the title really make that much of an impact?

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 06-04-2012, 12:45 PM

563 posts, read 910,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Between Downtown, Uptown, Victory Park, Stemmons, & Medical Center's latest boom Dallas' overall skyline is really starting to take shape & blur the lines between what seperates & distinguishes them creating one gigantic skyline from afar.

Houston's downtown is in a word, MASSIVE & easily twice the size of Dallas', but there is nothing immediately around it for miles with the Texas Medical Center & Greenway Plaza being the next closest cluster of buildings. It sits all alone.

Houston builds TALL, Dallas builds dense.

Take your pick.

If 5 Allen Center ever gets up & running Downtown Houston will be looking at another boom for sure adding yet another 600+ foot building to its skyline in the past 2 years.

Dallas was lucky to get the 560' Museum Tower, nothing has gone up that tall in at least 20-25 years.
I agree with everything you said except for this. When I look at the pictures below dense is not a word I would used to describe Dallas but rather Houston.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...cc2d81c2_o.jpg

For the OP - Houston has quite a few buildings that are old that make Houston's skyline seem a bit brown. None of the new developments have this feature. The ugliest building has to be the oldest one built in 1920's (which Dallas has none of) and is in the U.S Register of National Places.

JPMorgan Chase Building (Houston) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are all of the recent buildings built in downtown Houston with more on the way.

File:Calpine building houston tx-corner of texas milam.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:HessTowerinHouston.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:BPGroupplaceHouston.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One Park Place - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-04-2012, 02:42 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I just want to say maybe MAYBE we discuss this in a mature manner. But with that said I haven't been to DFW since late 08/early 09. I've always said bar none Houston had the best skylines in Texas. Btw, I live in Houston and don't plan on moving anywhere else in the state. However I drove into Dallas this friday night on 45 and was amazed how different Dallas skyline looks from the last time I been to the city. I mean, I always thought Dallas had Houston beat at night but overrall Houston had the better skyline but DAMN! Dallas just took a huge dump with it's new developments. I've seen so many pictures of the new projects Dallas have put up but to see it in person. It's awhole different feeling. I know there's plenty of Dallas vs. Houston threads. Trust me I still pick Houston over Dallas for me, however I felt a little jealous to see the architecture Dallas buildings have over Houston. It's as if Dallas knows the importance of image and are pushing the envelope of architecture in Texas whereas Houston is just building buildings w/ no artistic soul. And it hurts me to say this because I've always picked Houston over Dallas,lol. I tip my hat off to the city of Dallas.
This is so refreshing to hear beacause its truly what you feel. Most Houstonians bias is so thick that they normally just visit Dallas and ignore all the happenings and new developments as if they are not there so they can leave feeling the same way they came......its so silly. I really like houston and it could build 30 new skyscarapers 80 stories tall and it still wouldnt make dallas any less interesting. Houstonians feel like Dallas' progress is in result of Houstons shortcomings. So they Hate Dallas with a passion...no exceptions....so again this thread is quite refreshing coming from a Houstonian....kudos.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:06 PM

30 posts, read 54,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
This is so refreshing to hear beacause its truly what you feel. Most Houstonians bias is so thick that they normally just visit Dallas and ignore all the happenings and new developments as if they are not there so they can leave feeling the same way they came......its so silly. I really like houston and it could build 30 new skyscarapers 80 stories tall and it still wouldnt make dallas any less interesting. Houstonians feel like Dallas' progress is in result of Houstons shortcomings. So they Hate Dallas with a passion...no exceptions....so again this thread is quite refreshing coming from a Houstonian....kudos.
Deductive reasoning 101 with dallisboi. Some people are challenged while others thrive.

No matter how how much progress Dallas makes why would any Houstonian leave Dallas feeling any different about their city? If someone from Houston loves where they are from that will not change no matter how many fake bridges Dallas puts up.

I think Dallas has built some wonderful structures and the city is coming together quite nicely. I think all of the big cities in Texas will be something to see in the not-too-distant future and I am proud to be a part of it.

If Houstonians are really how you view them then they really don't think their city has any shortcomings, do they? Quit the negativity and move on.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston1197 View Post
Deductive reasoning 101 with dallisboi. Some people are challenged while others thrive.

No matter how how much progress Dallas makes why would any Houstonian leave Dallas feeling any different about their city? If someone from Houston loves where they are from that will not change no matter how many fake bridges Dallas puts up.

I think Dallas has built some wonderful structures and the city is coming together quite nicely. I think all of the big cities in Texas will be something to see in the not-too-distant future and I am proud to be a part of it.

If Houstonians are really how you view them then they really don't think their city has any shortcomings, do they? Quit the negativity and move on.
What the hell are you talking about!!..You totally misunderstood my post....Go back and read what I said again....I was saying that Houstonians come here hating certin things about Dallas and when they get here they ignore the progress that Dallas is making because they want to leave Dallas hating it just as much as when they came.....

In other words they want to keep hating Dallas no matter what....If they notice all the things they hate about dallas is changing...then they truly wouldnt have a reason to hate Dallas anymore, so they ignore the progress as if its not happening.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:24 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
I see that we still haven't elevated ourselves past the "hater" term. It's time for some growth, dallasboi.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:24 PM

30 posts, read 54,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
What the hell are you talking about!!..You totally misunderstood my post....Go back and read what I said again....I was saying that Houstonians come here hating certin things about Dallas and when they get here they ignore the progress that Dallas is making because they want to leave Dallas hating it just as much as when they came.....
I don't think Houstonians hate Dallas any more than Dallasites hate Houston.
This is mainly a CD thing because a lot of us travel between the two regularly and have our favorite places we visit in each city when we go.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 PM

^^^Its time for houstonians to grow and quit being so obviously shallow. If a Houstonian says something nice about Dallas, other Houstonians feel betrayed or something....I JUST DONT GET IT!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas