Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times

Advertisements

For most South Texans, there will be no Astros games on TV this year. The Astros have decided that it's more important (and profitable) to own their own TV network, than to be available on TV, so about half of Houston and nearly all the rest of the state will not have their games. Fox Sports Houston has shut down, but south Texas fans can watch the Rangers on cable if they want to. Astros games will also be blacked out if they are on national coverage, and they will be blacked out on MLB.TV.

Before Houston had a MLB team, this was all Cardinals country down here. Maybe it's time to tell the Astros to take a hike, and switch our allegiance back to the Cardinals, since the Astros are no longer interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,272,429 times
Astros who?

Rangers all the way

Old 01-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,131,899 times
The Astros are in the American League, starting this year. I don't like American League baseball, so not watching the Astros was already in my plans.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,965,735 times
Well for starters, the season hasn't even started yet. I'm sure a deal with the other cable providers and CSN will be worked out by the time Astros season rolls around (maybe even Spring Training, since they will be airing Spring Training games on the channel). Right now, Rockets fans are being used right now (Rockets own about 23% of the channel, the Astros 50% and NBC Universal another 20%, IIRC), as CSN/Comcast and the other providers work a deal out. Before hating on the Astros though, realize that pretty much every single major media market is creating their own sports network for their own local teams. The teams have more control and can produce more content for the channel. Anyone who has seen CSN Houston, or the other CSN Channels, or the YES Network, etc., can attest to this. It won't be long before the Mavericks/Rangers/Stars want to create their own similar channel for the DFW market.

It's all apart of negotiations. Comcast wants the cable providers to include CSN on the basic sports package and their is a big fight over it now, but once you watch CSN, you will absolutely love it. The couple of times I have seen it while visiting friends in Houston, I was amazed at the production and quality. It absolutely blows the cheap looking Fox Sports Network stuff away. The asking price, imo, is too high since Houston sports teams aren't as high profile as those from Chicago or LA, but once they work it out, all with access to the channel will like it. For now, just call your cable provider and get some discounts from them while you can.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,402,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
For most South Texans, there will be no Astros games on TV this year. The Astros have decided that it's more important (and profitable) to own their own TV network, than to be available on TV, so about half of Houston and nearly all the rest of the state will not have their games. Fox Sports Houston has shut down, but south Texas fans can watch the Rangers on cable if they want to. Astros games will also be blacked out if they are on national coverage, and they will be blacked out on MLB.TV.

Before Houston had a MLB team, this was all Cardinals country down here. Maybe it's time to tell the Astros to take a hike, and switch our allegiance back to the Cardinals, since the Astros are no longer interested.
Or you just register an MLB.tv account using a ZIP code outside of the area and watch all the games you want.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Or you just register an MLB.tv account using a ZIP code outside of the area and watch all the games you want.
Won't work. MLB.TV reads your IP Address every time you log on. And, MLB was $160 last year, and no telling what it will be this year. My cable company says they see no prospect that there will be any contract with Comcast in 2013.

MLB as a whole and the individual teams are pricing themselves out of existence. The Astros will lose a fan base that will never come back.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:20 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,965,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Won't work. MLB.TV reads your IP Address every time you log on. And, MLB was $160 last year, and no telling what it will be this year. My cable company says they see no prospect that there will be any contract with Comcast in 2013.

MLB as a whole and the individual teams are pricing themselves out of existence. The Astros will lose a fan base that will never come back.
Yeah, this is definitely an issue for teams looking for their own channel. The Rockets are going through the same thing. Many bars that didn't carry Comcast are now carrying it due to Rockets demand rising. I'm pretty confident a deal will be worked out by Astros season though. It won't be a Portland situation, where it's been six years and still no deal. The Astros have already lost enough bandwagon market share to the Rangers, I don't think Crane (who had nothing to do with the deal, it was Drayton), doesn't want that extended. The good thing is though, you can watch the Rangers at Astros on FSN opening day.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,402,399 times
You guys can blame the Yankees for starting this trend - that and the lack of a revenue sharing plan.

As for the MLB.tv thing, I've never had an issue. That said, I usually only use it while I'm traveling (mobile 4G), as I have the MLB package at the house.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,920,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The Astros are in the American League, starting this year. I don't like American League baseball, so not watching the Astros was already in my plans.
That was a horrible move by the MLB.

Why move the Astros over to the AL when you have FIVE Californian teams you can move....

Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,272,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
That was a horrible move by the MLB.

Why move the Astros over to the AL when you have FIVE Californian teams you can move....
No joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas