Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 12:16 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I can't believe that a HS in Texas did this at the same time that teachers were being layoff all over the state.
Teachers aren't paid from money raised by bond elections. Red football fields are. The fact that some districts are happy to spend large sums of money on capital improvements for their schools suggests there were other measures available at the time rather than layoffs (ie: raising taxes), but that ability varies district by district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 PM

692 posts, read 855,799 times
It's not just football fields, though. I taught community college (and was very good at it), as well as dual-credit programs, and got out because everywhere I looked, I saw teachers getting shafted by administrations that were spending money on everything BUT the students and faculty, including meaningless 6-digit patronage jobs and fad programs (Director of Achieving the Dream? Seriously??).

Old 02-05-2013, 01:05 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
There's a serious problem with overspending in school athletics
that's why I will never support HS football.

I can't believe that a HS in Texas did this at the same time that teachers were being layoff all over the state.
The spending on sports is sometimes crazy. But I don't think highlighting a stadium or two indicates a serious problem across the state.

As I have pointed out, and others too, the money spent on construction of a stadium has almost nothing to do with the money spent on teachers. New Braunfels voters approved that stadium - they wanted it and agreed to the taxes that are required to pay back the money borrowed via bonds. That has nothing to do with money the state of Texas provides for education.

Only indirectly, at the individual taxpayer, is there a relationship.

But it is your choice to not support HS football. As a voter in your area, you should vote against these kinds of things. You should go to school board meetings and let your voice be heard.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The ruling is in. The current system for funding public schools in Texas does not satisfy the Texas Constitution.

So now we will see how the legislature responds and what the remedies are.
Fair enough, but it goes without saying the argument that it's unconstitutional is just a charade. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But the motivation behind the lawsuits on behalf of wealthy districts is not for their love of the Rule of Law. It's the fact they want give less money to poorer districts and they see that legal angle as a way to get it done. Short sighted, self interest.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:24 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Share your thoughts on the trial and Robin Hood.

The press often mentions:
overspending on athletic facilities
fairness of Robin Hood
padded salaries at the top
rising cost of educating poor immigrant children
ESL services
charter schools
voucher debate
need for a new school tax system
Has Robin Hood helped in your opinion? Will our school finances always be in trouble or can we turn this around?
So why haven't you shared YOUR opinion?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Fair enough, but it goes without saying the argument that it's unconstitutional is just a charade. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But the motivation behind the lawsuits on behalf of wealthy districts is not for their love of the Rule of Law. It's the fact they want give less money to poorer districts and they see that legal angle as a way to get it done. Short sighted, self interest.
Thing is, Padcrasher, money doesnt matter, really. It is not PC to say so, but it it the truth. I have been in this business for going on 15 years, and no social/monetary redistribution theory is going to convince someone of what their own personal experience tells them is simply not true.

Truth is? One can take every bit of money out of, say, Highland Park and give it all to some district in south Dallas? It won't change anything at all in terms of raising kids state test scores. That is dependent upon home situations and the value placed upon education itself. It just wont. Let face it...because sooner or later we are going to have to. Some demographic groups put a lower priority on schooling than others do. That is just a fact.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:04 PM

692 posts, read 855,799 times
Throwing money at education indeed does little to improve it -- if that were the case CA would have the best schools in the country.

I have friends from south and SW Dallas, where I've taught (taught community college at MountainView), and one of the things I heard was (as close to exact words as I can remember), "I'm glad Obama got elected, so I can be [a] black [male] and not get beat up for studying."

Tragic. But hopefully we can help solve both the constitutional *and* cultural problems.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:11 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
All I know is small town Texas would disappear without Robin Hood. A majority of the decent paying jobs in most towns smaller than 3A are based around the school. With no robin hood, the local tax base wouldn't support schools in small towns.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:26 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
All I know is small town Texas would disappear without Robin Hood. A majority of the decent paying jobs in most towns smaller than 3A are based around the school. With no robin hood, the local tax base wouldn't support schools in small towns.
Might be true of some, but some small towns (such as the one in my home county, population around 35K, 1A) with oil and gas revenue are considered property-rich--and get robbed by Robin Hood.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:30 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,176,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I went to Prosper ISD when it was 1A and 2A and we had money taken away from us to give to other schools, so we were able to support our school just fine. But Prosper does have pretty high property taxes compared to most neighboring cities. There are also some consolidated school districts. When I was in high school I remember sharing worksheets and music in most of my classes because we didn't have enough money to make the copies we needed. All thanks to Robin Hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: