Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
How Houston Became the Host City for the 2013 NBA All-Star Game - Forbes

“this year, Houston’s [bid] was the best. One of the things that is really advantageous in Houston, is its geography. You have the arena next to three major hotels and one of them connects to the convention center. Not that this alone was a deciding factor, but it was a great thing that the city could put together and create the community for All-Star and have everything happening in one place.”

Seems downtown was quite happening this past weekend.

I wasn't in downtown for this event's parties, but was for those of the 2004 Super Bowl. It was great. I agree with others - Houston got better press for Super Bowl than Dallas did. Mostly because events were less spread out and the weather was better. The "wardrobe malfunction" was the major negative, but not Houston's fault.
Interesting that they used the major hotel argument. By the time another all star game is in Houston, there will be another 1000+plus room hotel a couple blocks from the Toyota Arena. I think another Marriott is getting built in downtown. Not to mention that Houston is not that bad of a place to party. It's not Miami or Vegas. But it's still pretty decent and has improved IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
There were tons of reports by reporters and visitors that parties were in one zip code while the game was in another while their hotel was in another, and cab rides were expensive. Look up ESPN's Bill Simmons columns about the game if you don't believe me, as one prominent example. You can see the NFL reacting to the comments as they put the next Super Bowl in the snow to avoid the problems of Sun Belt cities, and of going back and forth between NO & Miami every year.
Ahh. That's the problem. It is always trying to be so funny Bill Simmons. He isn't happy if it is not New Orleans, Miami, or San Diego. Not to mention he isn't funny. Houston was mixed. Some mediots liked it. Some didn't. Houston didn't nearly get the same treatment as Detroit and especially Jacksonville got.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
First of all isn't this a thread about the All-Star weekend and not the Super bowl? Second The Super Bowl in Houston was more of a success then anything. I went to the Super Bowl in Houston and heard many positive things about the Super Bowl from out of towners. Mind you then I wasn't even living in Houston and got around just fine. Not to mention if Houston has a chance to host another Super Bowl it will be better since Houston has progressed as a city since then.

As far as All-Star weekend I went to the one this weekend in Houston and went to the one in Dallas and by far Houston was much better then Dallas for several reasons.

1. The weather was much better. When the All-Star weekend was in Dallas it was snow and ice still on the roads and it was freezing cold.

2. Houston was much more centralized. Yes, Dallas might have a better transit but when it comes to sporting events Houston does a better job of hosting them. Everything is convenient and not a far drive because it's all within the inner loop. In Dallas/Ft.Worth I remember trying to find something to do in Downtown/ then North Dallas/then Addison/ then driving to Arlington to the mall and the NBA events at the Cowboy stadium it was horrible. Mind you the roads still wasn't in the best conditions.

3. All-Star weekend is more geared for urban socialites and Houston is just a better city for that.

4. Houston had more venues to host all kind of parties and events for All-Star then Dallas did.
Yeah the fact that everything is always so spread out and how Dallas wants to share everything it has with other cities in the region is its downfall IMO. The city has so much to offer. If the Cowboys were and Rangers were in Dallas, it could easily pull off a nice allstar weekend. Only FW can go toe to toe with Dallas with some events. But holding all events, Dallas has the advantage over the cities by far including Fort Worth (to an extent and I'm not dissing FW here). More hotels, more venues, better transportation, more urban hoods, more parks, more stuff period. Arlington may think it's a big city that can do things like Dallas can. But in reality, they can't.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 AM

229 posts, read 305,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah the fact that everything is always so spread out and how Dallas wants to share everything it has with other cities in the region is its downfall IMO. The city has so much to offer. If the Cowboys were and Rangers were in Dallas, it could easily pull off a nice allstar weekend. Only FW can go toe to toe with Dallas with some events. But holding all events, Dallas has the advantage over the cities by far including Fort Worth (to an extent and I'm not dissing FW here). More hotels, more venues, better transportation, more urban hoods, more parks, more stuff period. Arlington may think it's a big city that can do things like Dallas can. But in reality, they can't.

Arlington shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Dallas and Fort Worth, it is basically just a large, ugly suburb. It should be the place where folks go see the game and then get in their cars and leave. 360k+ people and no transit system...absolutely ridiculous.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
Arlington shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Dallas and Fort Worth, it is basically just a large, ugly suburb. It should be the place where folks go see the game and then get in their cars and leave. 360k+ people and no transit system...absolutely ridiculous.
agreed. But tell the major and some of the arlington residents that. They'd think you just nuked the place.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
agreed. But tell the major and some of the arlington residents that. They'd think you just nuked the place.
Look, when people call Fort Worth a "suburb", the residents have a legitimate gripe because:

- Fort Worth is the 2nd of only TWO anchor cities
- Fort Worth is half the reason why we have one of the largest and busiest airports on the planet.
- Fort Worth is a county seat
- Fort Worth has its own public transportation
- Fort Worth is and always has been its own city, never having to depend on Dallas for anything.

^^^ None, and I mean NONE of that is something that Arlington can say.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Look, when people call Fort Worth a "suburb", the residents have a legitimate gripe because:

- Fort Worth is the 2nd of only TWO anchor cities
- Fort Worth is half the reason why we have one of the largest and busiest airports on the planet.
- Fort Worth is a county seat
- Fort Worth has its own public transportation
- Fort Worth is and always has been its own city, never having to depend on Dallas for anything.

^^^ None, and I mean NONE of that is something that Arlington can say.
Arlington can't hear you though. They have Cowboys Stadium in one ear and the Ballpark in the other to blot out what you Fort Worthians and Dallasites have to say.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:23 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I call it like it happens. I always have fun in Houston in spite of all of its flaws...thing is it doesent kill me to admit it. Houstonians would find something wrong about Dallas to gripe about instead of admitting that they came up here and had a good time. See i know Dallas is not the best at everything but we do a good job at most things and to not be able to give Houston props when its due is simply stupid...Houstonians are a different breed of Texan...Nobody does anything better than Houston,at least that they'll admit.
The same thing can be said from certain people in Dallas. Just like any other city in Texas. Let's not generalize Houstonians btw. And let me remind people i'm from East Texas and alot of times it was Dallas people that use to always tend to look down on East Texans for being "slow country bumpkins" or the "Mississippi" of Texas which I always found funny considering I looked at alot of people in Dallas as country folk in a big metropolitan area. But we use to get that alot from Dallas people that hated moving to east texas. Atleast the Houstonians that had to move to East Texas nose wasn't as stuck up as alot of DFW people. But I know that's not the majority of people from Dallas or Houston.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:42 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The same thing can be said from certain people in Dallas. Just like any other city in Texas. Let's not generalize Houstonians btw. And let me remind people i'm from East Texas and alot of times it was Dallas people that use to always tend to look down on East Texans for being "slow country bumpkins" or the "Mississippi" of Texas which I always found funny considering I looked at alot of people in Dallas as country folk in a big metropolitan area. But we use to get that alot from Dallas people that hated moving to east texas. Atleast the Houstonians that had to move to East Texas nose wasn't as stuck up as alot of DFW people. But I know that's not the majority of people from Dallas or Houston.
But East Texas IS country bumpkin folks....nothing wrong with that...thats simply the product of east texas culture....Some people do say Dallas is country but not in the same regard as Tyler or east Texas as a whole. Houstonians look down on most areas in Texas in the attempt to be the "end all be all" of The state. So I dont know if your bias for Houston caused you to overlook their attitudes but its obviously apparent. Houstonians even call Dallas "country"....How in the hell could they not think or kNow that east Texas is country.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:31 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
dallaskoi, I'm sure everyone here is aware that you're somewhere in the vicinity when these topics get heated, so you'll have to forgive us for not seeing the validity in your post. And I'm sure that by now even you are tired of playing the victim.

Give it a rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas