Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:30 PM

4,439 posts, read 6,316,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Well first of all not everyone can afford the exclusive stores at the galleria. That is not an every day thing. For the everyday stores for people on the north east there is deerbrook mall. For people on the north there is greenspoint and TW mall. For people on the nw there is willowbrook mall, for people on the west there is memorial and Katy. For people on the Southwest there are the malls in sugar land. For the south there is pearland. For the south east there is almeda mall and the one in clear lake. For those in the core there is galleria, meyerland, rice, and formerly sharpstown.

There are malls in every direction so that was a bad example for you. You are never more than about five miles away from a mall here.

You live near downtown so you dont experience as much how soread out the metro is
Well not necessarily a bad example. I would never shop at any of those places you mentioned. I guess to each their own. The Galleria in Houston is the only mall that is on the same quality level of some of the nicer malls in the Dallas area. I actually do a lot of shopping outside of the malls though, if I do a mall it's only NorthPark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 02:16 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,928,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxf848 View Post
Looking at the Dallas High Five, the second level from the bottom is only frontage roads. The Fort Worth Mixmaster is similar, with frontage roads and Lancaster Ave. making the bottom level.
.... huh?

You must be thinking of the old set up.

Old Photo

Good thing, too, because it allowed for another corridor in downtown to be re-developed.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:29 PM

348 posts, read 832,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
.... huh?

You must be thinking of the old set up.

Old Photo

Good thing, too, because it allowed for another corridor in downtown to be re-developed.
What I'm referring to is to the east of the old Lancaster Elevated, directly under 35W. That's where Lancaster meets the north ends of the frontage roads at ground level. But looking at it again, I'm not sure it would be considered part of the interchange. Lancaster isn't the I-30 frontage road, so there's no interchanging (with 30) going on there. Maybe the Mixmaster is a 4-level interchange with 35W at the bottom, and the whole thing is on top of the 35W/Lancaster interchange.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:40 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,987,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Well not necessarily a bad example. I would never shop at any of those places you mentioned. I guess to each their own. The Galleria in Houston is the only mall that is on the same quality level of some of the nicer malls in the Dallas area. I actually do a lot of shopping outside of the malls though, if I do a mall it's only NorthPark.
Dallas snobbery as usual.

Doesn't matter what the balls look like. They usually have the same darn stores that regular people go to.

Dallas posters seem so pretentious.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:47 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,017,940 times
Quote:
Dallas snobbery as usual.

Doesn't matter what the balls look like. They usually have the same darn stores that regular people go to.

Dallas posters seem so pretentious.
Whats so funny is most of them aren't even originally from Dallas & reside in the burbs. This is usually the case.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,969,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Okay, but what other mall in DFW is comparable to Northpark? None. Collin Creek in Plano? The mall where all of the luxury stores have vanished? It's not Stonebriar or Grapevine or Ridgmar, etc. I'm not seeing how the Northeast side in Houston is any different from living in South Arlington/Mansfield. You act like there are.Northpark clones all over DFW. They tried to do that but the market didn't support it. Maybe if you were saying this in 2005 before the stores closed, tjen you would have something.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Okay, but what other mall in DFW is comparable to Northpark? None. Collin Creek in Plano? The mall where all of the luxury stores have vanished? It's not Stonebriar or Grapevine or Ridgmar, etc. I'm not seeing how the Northeast side in Houston is any different from living in South Arlington/Mansfield. You act like there are.Northpark clones all over DFW. They tried to do that but the market didn't support it. Maybe if you were saying this in 2005 before the stores closed, tjen you would have something.
Galleria Dallas, Willowbend and Stonebriar are nice malls as well. Highland Park Village serves it's own purpose. I think most people in Tarrant County go to The Parks at Arlington, Northeast Mall in Hurst. Ridgmar Mall in Fort Worth is not great, but it does have a Neiman Marcus. So there are some options in Tarrant County as they do have Neiman's and Nordstrom, etc over there. For high-end boutiques you'll need to go to Dallas.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:39 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,987,610 times
Oh, and Memorial, Woodlands Mall, etc are not nice malls? Please

Old 02-24-2013, 06:41 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,904,635 times
Quote:
I prefer Memorial City Mall to The Woodlands Mall, I may be in the minority, but I don't The Woodlands Mall is all that nice. Personally, I like Deerbrook and Willowbrook more than The Woodlands.

Edit: actually, OUTSIDE of The Woodlands Mall is very nice, but the mall itself, not really any different than any others, imho.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I would say they are on the same level as the malls I listed in Tarrant County minus Nordstrom and Neiman's. They aren't as nice as Galleria Dallas or Stonebriar though. Stonebriar's store line-up isn't jaw dropping, but the shopping center itself is very nice and modern and it's a huge mall.

I think this is where Dallas posters get frustrated because Houston posters try to make things look like they are on the same level or better. The malls you mentioned are not as nice as those I mentioned above, but the point is trying to be made that they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas