Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will have the best luxury stores by the end of 2013?
Dallas 88 62.86%
Houston 52 37.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 02:42 PM

420 posts, read 706,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXT View Post
A major designer's hot, new, less expensive store is moving into Rice Village — and it's a Texas first

Major designer Kate Spade's hot new store is moving into Rice Village - CultureMap Houston

Kate Spade is already in both Dallas and Houston. If you had read the thread you would have seen that Kate Spade is expanding in Dallas, opening another store on Knox-Henderson Avenue right now. Here, let me help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonsim View Post
On Knox-Henderson in Dallas--Steven Alan is opening soon, and across the street a Kate Spade boutique is now under construction.

Kate Spade Store Comes to Knox Street in Knox-Henderson, Dallas, Texas | Knox-Henderson

Your link is talking about a cheaper version of Kate Spade. I'll let you figure out the irony.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:42 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,458,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
While I like Houston ALOT better this really made me LOL.
Puffery...

Old 08-13-2013, 02:44 PM

581 posts, read 924,978 times
Default The Greek word for mold is "Houston."

Quote:
Indeed, one has to wonder why all those trillions of dollars made in Houston wouldn't create a better upscale shopping community. But I figure it has something to do with all that oil and gas. For you can imagine that when all those oil executives get finished counting their money with their greasy fingers, getting oil and gas all over all that class A office space in the process, they just won't allow them or their equally greasy wives into the few boutiques they have.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:59 PM
TXT

165 posts, read 238,610 times
Default Houston Is The Winner Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
Kate Spade is already in both Dallas and Houston. If you had read the thread you would have seen that Kate Spade is expanding in Dallas, opening another store on Knox-Henderson Avenue right now. Here, let me help you.

Your link is talking about a cheaper version of Kate Spade. I'll let you figure out the irony.
I already knew about the Kate Spade's Houston and Dallas expansions. The irony is that you failed to see that Kate Spade is debuting her Hot New less expensive (not cheap) business in Houston...first. Now how about that!

Old 08-13-2013, 03:02 PM
TXT

Default Houston Is The Winner Here

Quote:
Made me LOL, too. Texas is enjoying a boom, Houston an extraordinary super-boom. Analysts have said it's out-performing its boom of the 80's.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I already knew about the Kate Spade's Houston and Dallas expansions. The irony is that you failed to see that Kate Spade is debuting her Hot New less expensive (not cheap) business in Houston...first. Now how about that!
Gee, that kind of rave doesn't even need a rebuttal, but just an introduction. From the third tier shopping destination of Houston, h-h-h . . . . . ere's TXT!

Old 08-13-2013, 03:17 PM
TXT

Default Houston is The Winner Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
Gee, that kind of rave doesn't even need a rebuttal, but just an introduction. From the third tier shopping destination of Houston, h-h-h . . . . . ere's TXT!
Third?! Third tier?! You mean Dallas, it's the definition of third tier...3rd largest city and Texas! And after losing:

Saks Fifth Avenue (both locations)
Bloomingdale's
Giorgio Armani (both locations)
Barney's New York
etc...

Dallas has fallen in Texas and its 3rd tier rating is fitting in all regards.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Made me LOL, too. Texas is enjoying a boom, Houston an extraordinary super-boom. Analysts have said it's out-performing its boom of the 80's.
I can't for the life of me understand why Lakewood is left out of the Mecca that is the upscale shopping community of Dallas. Even the new owner of Highland Park Village referred to that area of shopping to be the sleeping giant of Dallas. And then there is the ever reformulating of a retail district in the central core of Dallas with newly opening upscale shops in the Knox Park area, the kinds of upscale shopping that are always going to be attracted around three of the top rated hotels in all of Texas, with these being the Mansion of Turtle Creek, the Dallas Ritz, and the Rosewood Crescent Court Hotel. But you also have this little known boutique in the area along McKinney Avenue:

Forty Five Ten | Dallas, TX | Shops | D Magazine

Old 08-13-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Third?! Third tier?! You mean Dallas, it's the definition of third tier...3rd largest city and Texas! And after losing:

Saks Fifth Avenue (both locations)
Bloomingdale's
Giorgio Armani (both locations)
Barney's New York
etc...

Dallas has fallen in Texas and its 3rd tier rating is fitting in all regards.
And here is another phenomenon unique to Dallas that owes its existence to Love Field! It is the miracle mile known as Inwood Village:

D Magazine : SPECIAL ADVERTISING SECTION

What makes this shopping district unique is how it slowly transitions to that of upscale towards its east side.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Historical malls...that's about it.

Both cities are neck & neck when it comes to high end shopping. Dallas has more big name retailers while Houston has more boutiques & specialty shops.

Now if we're comparing metro areas D/FW has better shopping malls.
In Dallas, most of the malls are built for the purpose of serving regional shoppers who drive in from afar. In Houston, most malls serve the local public which, over time, has worked out to have a detrimental effect on the shopping centers based in Houston's inner core.

Again, the central core of Dallas is fast recovering to become the retail epicenter for the southern region of the United States as the city is quickly separating itself from Atlanta and becoming more like Chicago. Even in places like Los Angeles and New York City, the sophisticated customers have to know the significance of Dallas.

The level of upscale is immense, the range and dimensions of it unfathomable with the in-close location of Love Field and all those luxury automobile dealerships built up and so easily accessible along Lemmon Avenue a half mile away, the cream of the top regional shopping center that is Highland Park Village located two miles away, the miracle mile that is Inwood Village also located two miles away, both the world famous destinations of Plaza at Preston Center, three miles away, and Northpark Center, another two miles away from it. Lakewood shopping center is the anomaly being located eight miles away. And then there is all that new upscale shopping developing along a string in Uptown Dallas from Knox Park to the area where three of the top hotels within the state of Texas are located - all within Uptown Dallas, the new downtown of Dallas.

Of course, Neiman Marcus still has a department store based in downtown Dallas.

Is it any wonder they call it a Mecca?

And, you know, this doesn't include other upscale shopping destinations like the Dallas Galleria and the Shops at Willow Bend.

(The upscale shopping in the Dallas area certainly is a lot easier to spin)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas