Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 03:20 AM

270 posts, read 593,267 times

Advertisements

Hello

we are currently Overseas, but my husband is homesick after 20 years in Europe and want to come back to Texas to settle down, build a Home...

He always liked the big mediterranean Toll Brothers "Mansions" so we were about to choose one of their communities and start planning. But then I've read all of these horror stories about cheap (or no) quality, overpriced additional options, crumbling fake Stucco, Mold, etc. He ignored the most of it, but now it's getting to him.

Plus we are interested in green building options like solar panels, geothermal heat, better insulation. None of the big Builders we talked to offered this. Not even the basement we really want to have. Yes, I've read the threads about basement=indoor pool.

Does anybody here have some Advices for us? I was thinking of contacting home inspectors from that Area to ask them about their experiences with local and non-local Builders. Are they allowed to give these informations? Plus I think it would be wise to hire an expert to be on top of the whole building process and maybe even the planning. Cause my Husband is working all day and I have to take care of 2 Toddlers.

We would like to live in a community (gated if possible). Are all of them only for people who build with that special Builder who owns the land, or is it possible to buy a lot and choose the Builder we want?

Can you recommend a local Builder with a reputation for good craftsmanship and knowledge in green building? And/or somebody who is specialized in basements?

Do you think it will be more expensive to go with a local Builder, instead of Toll Brothers, NV Homes, etc.? With all the modifications we want, it would be around 750k-800k for ~4900 sqft.

Any other Advices about Homebuilding topics I forgot to mention are very welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 02:39 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,270 times
For the stuff you want, you will need to go with a custom home builder. Production builders like toll brothers only build about 10 different houses , and just slightly change the front elevation(to give the illusion of being semi-custom)

It will probably be more expensive to do it that way, but your home will be one of a kind and will hold its value better.

The hardest thing will be finding a good lot. Most of the suburbs around Dallas are almost completely tract/production builders until you get into the 500k+ market. Your budget is pretty strong. If I were you, and judging by your other posts in the Dallas forum, I would look into east Dallas/Lakewood(75214). Strong schools, central location, historic, and mainly custom homes with character.

Examples of new East Dallas Mediterranean/Spanish homes designed to fit into the neighborhood:

LAKEWOOD / Dallas

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 06-08-2013 at 03:01 AM..

Old 06-08-2013, 04:47 AM

10 posts, read 18,242 times
Thanks for sharing this so interesting post!!I really w ant to appreciate the way you have putted it here..Its marvelous placement.Please keep sharing such stuff in the future too as it really attract s the visitors..

Old 06-08-2013, 05:54 AM

270 posts, read 593,267 times
That's exactly what I am looking for.

The roof and the woodwork, the exterior! *sigh* Thanks for the pics. I'm in Love now with these turquoise roof shingles.

I guess I have to look for a custom builder and a nice piece of land...

Old 06-08-2013, 10:00 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,804 times
Well. Hate to rain on a parade, but the clay tile roof is just asking for trouble in TX. You other have seams allowing water to seep and mold to grow, or hail damage.

Stucco doesn't fare too much better (real stucco, not the fake spray on kind).

Old 06-08-2013, 11:38 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Well. Hate to rain on a parade, but the clay tile roof is just asking for trouble in TX. You other have seams allowing water to seep and mold to grow, or hail damage.

I disagree I've seen many old houses in Dallas that have had the same tile roof since the 1920s. Composition shingles seem to have a far shorter life span. There are faux tile shingles out now made from metal, but most people only choose this because they are cheaper, not because of better durability.

The look can be achieved with out stucco. Many Spanish revival homes feature yellow bricks, or painted brick. White, gray, tan, pink, green, are all common colors used to paint bricks on that style of home.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:21 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
I would kill to have a tile roof. It's so much more hail resistant than composition shingles! Most of the historic homes in both Dallas and Fort Worth have some form of tile on their roofs.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post

There are gorgeous clay tile roofs all over Dallas that date to 1920s. How many composite shingle roofs are left from even the 1980s?

Clay tile roof may last a lifetime or more.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:51 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
Aren't solar panels disallowed by most HOAs? Conformity comes before saving energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas