Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:33 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times

Advertisements

OP, you'll see signs on the side of the road throughout the state.

"Don't Mess With Texas."

We mean it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:46 AM

77 posts, read 138,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punzquill View Post
I hate cowboy culture!
I am confused as to why you are surprised at receiving caustic replies when you started off the thread this way. You can't really be surprised!

Old 08-16-2013, 09:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I moved, involuntarily, to Texas over twenty years ago. Since I was here rather against my will, I didn't like it very much and had a low regard for "cowboy culture." The Livestock Report at 6 am literally turned my stomach - I couldn't BELIEVE I lived somewhere that included a Livestock Report! I thought cowboy hats and boots and belt buckles were ridiculous and I hated country and western music.

Over the years, I changed my tune - as I got to know the people of this glorious state that I now embrace as home. I am actually ashamed of my former prejudices and fears. I can't believe I was so closed minded and (albeit secretly) "superior" and condescending.

I was dead wrong. I just thank God that I was forced to live here long enough to realize just how wrong I was.

You won't find better people anywhere in the world. The culture is rich and varied. The music scene is amazing. The food is simply fantastic. The arts are alive and well. In one hour in any major metro area of Texas (and we have plenty of those!) you can experience a rodeo and an international art exhibit. You can enjoy a martini at the top of a skyscraper and a tamale in a corner cafe. You can go shopping at Neimans and then hit up the Mexican flea market down the road.

My suggestion to the OP is to leave your fears and prejudices and closed minded attitude at the state border, loosen up a bit, and come for a long visit. If you can't get your head around "cowboy culture," then you probably will feel uncomfortable. Don't ask us to change - change your own parameters, or don't move here.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Have you tried 99.5 The Wolf in Dallas?
I tried that today as I drove into Lubbock but I had no luck receiving it. Could be the old radio in my '97 F150.

I did find an FM 98.5 classic country station that I think that was coming out of Lubbock. I'm not sure why my scan on my radio has never caught that one before but the station had some great sounds for the hour I listened to it.

But here I am trying to connect with some cowboy culture and the thread is supposed to about how to avoid it.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:21 PM

440 posts, read 867,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I tried that today as I drove into Lubbock but I had no luck receiving it. Could be the old radio in my '97 F150.

I did find an FM 98.5 classic country station that I think that was coming out of Lubbock. I'm not sure why my scan on my radio has never caught that one before but the station had some great sounds for the hour I listened to it.

But here I am trying to connect with some cowboy culture and the thread is supposed to about how to avoid it.

I have a belief that if your eyes are wide open you'll always find what your looking for and then some-if the eyes are closed you will never find what you seek and you miss a whole lot more that you didn't think you even needed

Wolf classic is good -we listen to it in north Tarrant and Denton counties...my kids even like it-perhaps I'll covert them yet.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:37 PM

437 posts, read 925,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post

98.5 broadcasts from Lamesa. I bet that's why you don't always pick it up.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:52 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
I'll bet your right. I have always set my radio buttons at home in southern Hale County.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:03 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
OP, you'll see signs on the side of the road throughout the state.

"Don't Mess With Texas."

We mean it.
That's an anti-litter slogan and nothing more.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:25 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
That's an anti-litter slogan and nothing more.
Exactly. I've had to explain that more times than I can count since I moved to OK. They all thought is was us Texans just being arrogant. Once I explain it, they calm down.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:28 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Yep; but you can find other areas in other parts of the country without it. Rather silly to move to a place. your not likely to make friends or even fit in .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas