Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 02:35 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
haha....yep that's true.....Midland is not hot and humid enough for me.....and the winters are too much for my liking.
Uh.....what winters...? I don't remember any appreciable cold and snow since 1998 or so.

80 in January and 90 in February....I HATE it when that happens!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 02:45 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
I have very little cold tolerance so I can feel the winters.....I love 80's in jan and 90's in feb and 100's in march or april would make me even happier.We had a real big snow storm that was worse than 98 a couple years ago this winter.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:18 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Uh.....what winters...? I don't remember any appreciable cold and snow since 1998 or so.
I think I shared this story on here somewhere, so if you've heard this one....

Many of the current Texas South Plains farming families originated in eastern Texas where they grew cotton before the immigration of the cotton boll weevil from Mexico over a century ago. After the pest begin eating up the cotton in eastern Texas, some of the families there moved to the Texas High Plains where they continued to grow cotton boll weevil free. The High Plains was weevil free simply because the insect couldn't survive the year after year of harsh High Plains winters. That has changed in recent years and mild winters have allowed the boll weevil to get footholds on the Texas Plains especially across the southern end and edges.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I have very little cold tolerance so I can feel the winters.....I love 80's in jan and 90's in feb and 100's in march or april would make me even happier.We had a real big snow storm that was worse than 98 a couple years ago this winter.
Wow. I obviously missed that one, LOL!

Seems like sometime within the last 2-3 years, Midland had a record snow season, more than some areas in NM got! Now that's my kind of winter.

Even when I get back to Texas (with summers still spent up here), I'll probably come back at some point in the winter if I want some cold weather.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I think I shared this story on here somewhere, so if you've heard this one....

Many of the current Texas South Plains farming families originated in eastern Texas where they grew cotton before the immigration of the cotton boll weevil from Mexico over a century ago. After the pest begin eating up the cotton in eastern Texas, some of the families there moved to the Texas High Plains where they continued to grow cotton boll weevil free. The High Plains was weevil free simply because the insect couldn't survive the year after year of harsh High Plains winters. That has changed in recent years and mild winters have allowed the boll weevil to get footholds on the Texas Plains especially across the southern end and edges.
No, I don't remember hearing that.

I do know that it seemed to snow a lot more when I was going to Tech (70-74) than it does there now.

I want real Texas winters back.....

Old 08-18-2013, 04:49 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemerle View Post
Hi all,

I am from Northern Cali (near the Sacramento valley). We have HOT, dry summers here (95+) on average with an occasional 80's. We do get an occasional heat wave from 101-108 that lasts about a week or so....

My question is: is this anything comparable to Texas heat, especially in Hill Country and in the area near Frisco/McKinney area?

Thanks so much!
A Texas summer can be comparable to your inquiry, though a heat wave can last for weeks. However, Texas weather can vary regardless of the time of year.

Summers usually suffer a high pressure system over the middle of Texas that can last for weeks and keep an overnight low in the mid-80's. Or like this year, it can dissolve leaving the region with mid-90's highs with rain for days on end.

Winters can be unusually mild with only one or two Canadian cold fronts. Or intense cold with weekly cold fronts from Canada, or the PNW.

Texas has weather from almost any direction other than east. We get warm humid fronts from the Gulf of Mexico. Or Pacific fronts traveling over Mexico usually with rain. Or from southern California. Or from the Pacific NW. Or those cold buggers from Canada. But the only dependable weather is that high pressure system hovering over the middle of the state. Like that dome on TV, nothing gets in but the heat.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:53 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
No, I don't remember hearing that.

I do know that it seemed to snow a lot more when I was going to Tech (70-74) than it does there now.

I want real Texas winters back.....
Yes, I remember some "doozie" snow storms that drifted over cars, fences and anything else shorter than shoulder-high. However, I also remember some ice storms that made Eskimos jealous. Was that 1983 when it stayed below zero for several days straight even during the day? That year all the citrus in Texas was lost and much into Mexico. I was visiting my in-laws during Christmas from NOLA and didn't know if I was going to get back.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:58 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,060,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemerle View Post
Hi all,

I am from Northern Cali (near the Sacramento valley). We have HOT, dry summers here (95+) on average with an occasional 80's. We do get an occasional heat wave from 101-108 that lasts about a week or so....

My question is: is this anything comparable to Texas heat, especially in Hill Country and in the area near Frisco/McKinney area?

Thanks so much!
NO COMPARISON. As some have implied, it isn't the highs...it's the lows....when it doesn't cool off at night for months at a time, it gets quite miserable and you find yourself living an A/C existence.

I spent 55 of my 58 summers in eastern Texas and/or Houston, so that is one of the big reasons we moved to Virginia this year. Loving four seasons country.

ALSO...it's the length of the hot weather - it starts too early in the spring, and lasts too long into the fall. As much as we love high school football, our band used to not wear their uniforms for the games in September - still too hot even in the evenings... #lovingvirginia

Last edited by Watchful; 08-18-2013 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: added a paragraph

Old 08-18-2013, 05:53 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
Quote:
Wow. I obviously missed that one, LOL!

Seems like sometime within the last 2-3 years, Midland had a record snow season, more than some areas in NM got! Now that's my kind of winter.

Even when I get back to Texas (with summers still spent up here), I'll probably come back at some point in the winter if I want some cold weather.
haha I remember in 2011 skool in dallas was cancelled for at least a week straight.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:09 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,338 times
Quote:
haha I remember in 2011 skool in dallas was cancelled for at least a week straight.
That was because the schools had no heat. Many Texas power generators were offline for maintenance because we usually have mild winters. Well, it got cold and non essential power was cut off and we had rolling black outs for that week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas