Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:50 PM

29 posts, read 59,280 times

Advertisements

Yay! Deutch Pride!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 11:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
Hi:

Concededly, I have generalised much. I have a few friends in TX, who hold extremely progressive views, and yes, there is much diversity. However, generally (and I am generalising), I have found the above comments to be true for my experiences and those of several other Germans, who actually live in TX.

It is not conservatism or religion that I dislike - it is the "agree to it or..." attitude that many, but by no means all, hold. Some of this attitude comes across in this forum. I notice that many here immediately jump up and down when some criticism comes Texas's way. Many posts berate Yankees or Californians moving to Texas, who criticize some aspects of Texas. I wholeheartedly agree that one must adapt to one's environment wherever one goes and not try to make it into the place you came from. But any state is subject to some criticism - I am more than willing to criticize CA for many things I do not like there - yet, I have never heard a Californian tell me, well if you don't like that, then just go back to where you came from. There is much of this attitude in this forum, and in Texas.

Texas has many good points, and I have always found Texans' pride about their state admirable. But it becomes less admirable when they are not willing to accept that TX, like CA/NY etc. has many flaws, and everyone has the right to voice an opinion about those.

Another California critc of life of iothers;so waht is new.opinonated people everywhere it seesm who know best 0r so they think.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:59 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Another California critc of life of iothers;so waht is new.opinonated people everywhere it seesm who know best 0r so they think.
And so it goes.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:36 AM

34 posts, read 138,901 times
Guten Abend,

This is Texas not Germany nor Austria nor Switzerland. Enjoy the experiance and may it add to your life not give you some reason to critize and compare "apples to oranges". We are all "pieces to this colorful puzzle" called Texas life.

There is a wonderful "High German" Mennonite community in Seminole of around 5000 familes and there are smaller communities in east-central Texas and eastern Oklahoma. Not the "fancy German" but just 'Plain Folk". They do cook and speak the Swiss dialect. The small hospital there utilizes signs in English, Spanish and German. They have a few stores that carry German style baked goods and a health food store that has some Swiss made products. If in western Texas this is a pleasant little hamlet to visit.

Auf Weiderschreiben.

Last edited by swamp nurse; 09-24-2009 at 01:37 AM.. Reason: salutations.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:28 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
The San Antonio hill country area

Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
The San Antonio hill country area
New Braunfels for sure!

Old 09-25-2009, 02:02 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
HEB has some awesome german stuff. It's called the "European Isle" and you can find a few german products, but they are a little epxpensive. I sure as hell miss the german bread

Welcome to Texas, Germans!

Old 09-25-2009, 06:12 PM

29 posts, read 59,280 times
Yes H-E-B!!!!!

Old 09-28-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite83 View Post
Yes H-E-B!!!!!
That was one of the things I truly loved about SA!!!:-)

Old 10-19-2009, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,630 times
Hi.Ich bin auch von bad windsheim.Lebe zur zeit mit meinen mann in tyler tx.Er wahr damals in illersheim stationiert.Wier haben einige jahre in killeen gewohnt.Tyler ist ungefaehr 3-4 stunden von killeen entfernt.Mein mann ist schon seit 8 jahren aus der army.Ich bin im september 34 geworden.Schreib mir mal wenn du lust hast.Meine e-mail ist:luvlygermangirl@hotmail.com
Ich vermisse deutschland,und deutsche leute auch total.Ich kenne hier in der gegend ueberhaupt keine deutschen leute.Hoffe bald was von dir zu hoeren,Tanja.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas