Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 PM

59 posts, read 110,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Fla View Post
We are leaning towards the Dallas-Ft. Worth area due to the change of seasons
Dallas is actually known to have hotter summers and colder winters than Houston. Not sure if this is something you're actually looking for.

Quote:
easy proximity to weekend road trips to other areas.
Austin
  • From Dallas - 3 hours
  • From Houston - 2.5 hours

San Antonio
  • From Dallas - 4 hours
  • From Houston - 3 hours

New Orleans
  • From Dallas - 7.5 hours
  • From Houston - 5 hours

Galveston
  • From Dallas - 4 hours
  • From Houston - 45 minutes
Unless you're talking about going to Oklahoma City or Little Rock, Houston is much closer in proximity to other areas than Dallas. Just personally speaking, I think there's a lot more going on in New Orleans and San Antonio than in Oklahoma City or Little Rock.

Quote:
Does anyone have an opinion of The Ft. Worth side vs. the Dallas side of the metro area? Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts.
Never been to Fort Worth, but it tends to have a reputation in Texas of being a bit slower-paced and traditional than Dallas.

Last edited by brianreading; 08-22-2013 at 06:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 07:40 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianreading View Post
Unless you're talking about going to Oklahoma City or Little Rock, Houston is much closer in proximity to other areas than Dallas. Just personally speaking, I think there's a lot more going on in New Orleans and San Antonio than in Oklahoma City or Little Rock.
Pretty much. I'd give DFW the edge for its proximity to the Interior Highlands, but Houston wins just about everything else.

I honestly think that Houston would be the best choice for the OP, but they of course should go wherever the best job offer is.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:52 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianreading View Post
Dallas is actually known to have hotter summers and colder winters than Houston. Not sure if this is something you're actually looking for.

Austin
  • From Dallas - 3 hours
  • From Houston - 2.5 hours

San Antonio
  • From Dallas - 4 hours
  • From Houston - 3 hours

New Orleans
  • From Dallas - 7.5 hours
  • From Houston - 5 hours

Galveston
  • From Dallas - 4 hours
  • From Houston - 45 minutes

Never been to Fort Worth, but it tends to have a reputation in Texas of being a bit slower-paced and traditional than Dallas.
One thing that Dallas definitely gets the nod on proximity wise is distance to mountains. The Ouachita mountains are 2.5-3 hours northeast and the Ozarks are 4 hours.

Since mountains are the thing I miss most about living in California, I prefer Dallas location to Houston's.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
One thing that Dallas definitely gets the nod on proximity wise is distance to mountains. The Ouachita mountains are 2.5-3 hours northeast and the Ozarks are 4 hours.

Since mountains are the thing I miss most about living in California, I prefer Dallas location to Houston's.
Yeah, but I wouldn't exactly say the Ouachitas are a decent trade-off for the Sierra Nevadas.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:13 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Yeah, but I wouldn't exactly say the Ouachitas are a decent trade-off for the Sierra Nevadas.
They aren't. I was comparing DFW's location to Houston's. I would rather have DFWs for that reason.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
They aren't. I was comparing DFW's location to Houston's. I would rather have DFWs for that reason.
I understood what you were saying.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
And keep in mind that Zonathekid a.k.a. Zonazoo has never been to Texas.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:08 PM

15 posts, read 39,711 times
Thank you all for your thoughts. We've seen some affordable homes listed in the Lewisville. This burb seems like a strong contender with decent schools and proximity to Dallas' medical employment centers. Any info. on Lewisville would be appreciated. All opinions are welcome, especially those raising a family there.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:30 AM

517 posts, read 1,052,528 times
Quote:
Does anyone have an opinion of the Ft. Worth area vs. Dallas? Is there a neighborhood that has a small town feel, yet within a half hour drive of major medical employment centers? We've looked into some Dallas suburbs, and Lewisville is one of our favorites. Other contenders are McKinney, Plano, and Frisco. Tyler has our attention, however we are concerned about the availability of job opportunities there. Miami has become filled with unfriendly American haters, and we are looking forward to finding a community that we can relate to and call our home. We are thinking about visiting the area soon to have a look around.

Texans, we respect your opinion and would like to hear from you.
Tyler is a little slow now, but has decent medical facilities and some industry. I might have to spend some time and money to get your RN training moved. (I need a nurse 25 years ago that had that problem, but 25 years is a long time and there are a lot of states to move from, but I would check.)

Personally, I despise big cities and everything that goes with them. Lubbock is a mid sized city and it is growing. Has Texas Tech and Lubbock Christian Collage. The weather stinks, but Houston weather stinks and Dallas weather stinks.

I am from Deep East Texas, (think dualing banjos), and I think I might have driven through Lubbock one time, but still, you might check out the thread about the Costco manager moving to Lubbock.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 09-02-2013, 05:15 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Lubbock County has lots of homes for under $100,000 (for now). Lubbock also has some of the best medical facilities in Texas and it definitely has friendly people.

However, Normally Lubbock does not have four seasons but rarely anywhere in Texas does.

Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas