Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 12,789 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transfered to Texarkana, Texas. I have two children one is 10 and 5th grade-boy and a 14yr old-girl, in 9th grade. Can anybody help me with a good school district, and what districts to stay out of. My daughter is in the IB program. (International Baclor. study) My son isn't as gifted as she. Can you give me any good neighborhoods that won't brake the bank, but i'm safe in when my husband is out of town. Price around 150,000 to 200,000's.
Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks
Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 12,769 times
Hi, I grew up and lived in Texarkana for 33 years. As far as living and schools, I would say Pleasant Grove. Pleasant Grove is more expensive but the schools are the best in the area and it is a nice place to live. Hope this helps.

Jeff

Old 12-17-2007, 09:39 PM

152 posts, read 212,035 times
Default Moving into Texarkana

Hello Michelle,
Welcome to Texarkana.

If your are coming from a big city, you will find our town a little bit of a let down.

After 10 PM our town is basically shut down.

Pleasant Grove is the best part of town.

If you are into the arts you'll love Perot Theatre.

Cinema 14 for movies.

We have two hospitals. St. Michaels is the better of the two.

Texarkana is two cities in one. Texas side and Arkansas. I would recommend the Texas side. Texas residents don't pay annual taxes.

I would not recommend Texas High School.

The best paying jobs that come to mind here are Cooper Tire, Red River Army Depot, or Lone Star Ammunition. Unless your a Doctor, Lawyer or Nurse.

We have only one Mall. However the the northwest side of town (Pleasant Grove) has a new shopping center with all the New stores.

We have two bowling alleys and one roller skating rink. Four States Fair Fair Ground.

We have a baseball team and a Hockey team.

Baseball is the big thing for kids here in Texas.

We have some very good dance schools.

After 10 PM there are only two restaurants open 24/7. Denny's and Ihop.
Unless you are after a hambuger.

The big chain restaurants we have are as follows:

Applebee's
Bennigan's
Chili's
Cracker Barrel
Denny's
Outback Steakhouse
Red Lobster
Golden Corral

My wife and I are partial to Cracker Barrel, Red Lobster, and Ole Feed House.

Television here is by cable or satellite only. ABC, CBS, and NBC all broadcast out of Shreveport. To far for rabbit ears.

Our only paper is the Texarkana Gazette which is adequate.

Any further questions, feel free to drop me a line.

My wife and I have lived here over 20 years.

PS The Mayor is retiring after this year and we have a new Police Chief.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:48 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
And there are two colleges in Texarkana.....a junior college and a satellite campus of Texas A&M.

Is that nice cafeteria on the east end of town on the highway still there? We used to stop every time we were through Texarkana.......great southern food, white tablecloths, waiters in uniforms - we timed our trips so we could eat there.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:23 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
And there are two colleges in Texarkana.....a junior college and a satellite campus of Texas A&M.

Is that nice cafeteria on the east end of town on the highway still there? We used to stop every time we were through Texarkana.......great southern food, white tablecloths, waiters in uniforms - we timed our trips so we could eat there.
You might be thinking of Bryce's Cafeteria.. Yeah, I think it's still there. I remember as a kid coming over from Dallas to visit grandma and eating at the old one that was downtown I believe?

Old 12-21-2007, 12:07 AM

27 posts, read 148,753 times
Hi Michelle,
I have to say the post are correct. Pleasant Grove is by far the best area to live in Texarkana. I live in Pleasant Grove it's a little expensive, but in your price range you will be able to find something. I live in an area called Dogwood Lake Estates. As far as schools are concerned PGISD is great. Living in Pleasant Grove you are close to the Richmond Ranch Mall, which consist of stores like Target, Old Navy, Starbucks, Goodys, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. You would also be close to the Interstate for a quicker route to get around. Living in Pleasant Grove there are 2 really busy roads Richmond Road and Summerhill Road North over the bridge. I think you will enjoy Texarkana. Texarkana is a small town with a big city feel.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:47 PM

6 posts, read 34,801 times
Is Texarkana "booming" as people have said it is/will? My husband and I are suppose to be moving there soon. We have visited and it is very beautiful, I'm just a bit worried, since we are both from Houston. Thanks for all the great info above.

How do people meet? I'm a stay at home mom and am worried about meeting new friends.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:55 PM

27 posts, read 148,753 times
Hi RUNRGRL,

YES TEXARKANA IS BOOMING. IT HAS GROWED PROBALY SINCE THE LAST TIME YOU WERE HERE AND STILL GROWING, THEY SAY IT'S GOING TO BE LIKE THE NEXT DALLAS, YEARS DOWN THE ROAD. AS FAR AS HOW PEOPLE MEET, WELL I'D ADVISE YOU TO GO TO STARBUCKS WHICH IS LOCATED IN TRENDY PLEASANT GROVE AREA, ALOT OF PEOPLE THERE GREAT PLACE TO MEET NEW PEOPLE. ALSO YOUR NEIGHBORS. EVERYONE IN TEXARKANA IS PRETTY LAID BACK. IN THE PLEASANT GROVE WHICH IS NORTH TEXARKANA THE PEOPLE MAY SEEM LESS FRIENDLY BECAUSE OF THE MONEY THATS IN THE AREA., BUT OVERALL STILL FRIENDLY. NOW DON'T GET THE WHOLE AREA OF NORTH TEXARKANA (PLEASANT GROVE AREA) IS UNFRIENDLY I LIVE IN PG IT'S GREAT.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:06 PM

13 posts, read 56,906 times
Default Runrgrl

I grew up in Texarkana, and left ASAP to Dallas. I am a city girl. So if you and your husband are from Houston and liked it you will be bored. I loved Dallas and my life there, and recently we moved to Kingsport Tennessee, which is a lot like Texarkana only way more backwards.

I would give anything to go back to Dallas. I hate it here. I hate is sooo much that I'm considering moving in with my mom in Texarkana, because at least it's tolerable.

By the way I'm 44 years old, so I've been around the track of life. I've worked as a computer software consultant for 14 yrs, then after a break was a mortgage loan officer, then a real estate agent. And I'm still thinking about moving in with my mom (with my 10 yr old son) to escape this hell in Kingsport.

So Texarkana is better than where I am, but if you like the city you will have to make some big adjustments. Sorry to sound negative but I hope this helps you with your decision!

Old 05-04-2008, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 15,501 times
also moving to texarkana, is pleasant grove a community or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA01 View Post
Hi Michelle,
I have to say the post are correct. Pleasant Grove is by far the best area to live in Texarkana. I live in Pleasant Grove it's a little expensive, but in your price range you will be able to find something. I live in an area called Dogwood Lake Estates. As far as schools are concerned PGISD is great. Living in Pleasant Grove you are close to the Richmond Ranch Mall, which consist of stores like Target, Old Navy, Starbucks, Goodys, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. You would also be close to the Interstate for a quicker route to get around. Living in Pleasant Grove there are 2 really busy roads Richmond Road and Summerhill Road North over the bridge. I think you will enjoy Texarkana. Texarkana is a small town with a big city feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas