Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 05:29 PM

156 posts, read 244,836 times

Advertisements

I'll probably keep calling the bottom picture a "kolache" since that's what everyone here knows them as.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 10:57 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,367 times
To me the first pic is a kolache, and the second is a pig in a blanket. Now, if instead of the croissant-like dough, it had been the same type of dough as the first pic, then it would also be a kolache.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:34 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
I can't help confusing kolaches with baklava, for some reason. Both are delicious dessert indulgences, IMO, and nothing like the meaty snacks some seem to prefer.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:01 PM

372 posts, read 710,551 times
I have no idea when they chose to rename a sausage roll to a Kolache. I grew up understanding the difference and now everytime I go to a donut shop or look in the freezer at the grocery store, the sausage roll or as I grew up saying Pig In A Blanket is now a Kolache. I say there should be a campaign against these changes. LOL

Old 02-05-2014, 05:16 PM

587 posts, read 961,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Life View Post
I have no idea when they chose to rename a sausage roll to a Kolache. I grew up understanding the difference and now everytime I go to a donut shop or look in the freezer at the grocery store, the sausage roll or as I grew up saying Pig In A Blanket is now a Kolache. I say there should be a campaign against these changes. LOL
I have chosen to always refer to them as Klobasnek from now on.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:00 AM

Do you wonder who decided to change the name? Do you have German roots?

Old 02-06-2014, 11:52 AM

693 posts, read 1,107,891 times
Who cares? It's a kolache!

Old 02-06-2014, 05:53 PM

587 posts, read 961,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Life View Post
Do you wonder who decided to change the name? Do you have German roots?
I don't think anyone actually decided to change the name, it probably just happened. I actually have Czech roots but I don't speak Czech or know anything about the food or culture.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:33 PM

Makes sense, I grew up in a Czech/ German/ Polish community. My next door neighbor was Czech and did not know how to speak english. I learned the differences because of living where I did. If I had lived in the big city growing up, I would not have known.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:52 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I have never had a kolache--nor seen one in person. Most of the pictures of them look like danish rolls to me--round with a filling in the center--cream cheese, fruit, etc.

So what's the difference between a kolache and danish pastry...?
The main difference is the bread - the kolache dough is fairly dense and not very sweet. The traditional filling for a kolache is prune, apricot, pineapple or cream cheese, but poppy seed rolls are also considered a traditional kolache. If your bakery does not have prune - they are not a true Czech bakery (at least in Texas). The reason for those fillings was availability - the prune and apricot use dried fruit, the pineapple was an early canned fruit and the poppy seed was ground to a paste. I still have my grand-mother's poppy seed grinder, although I never cared for the poppy seed rolls. Prune is my all time favorite, but I like the apricot also. There is often a bit of streusel on top.

I've never seen a Czech bakery or baker that didn't make the traditional 'square' shape as pictured in the photo of the Czech Stop Bakery in the town of West, Tx on inter-state 35 (west side of the highway) and the picture above. I never pass by West without a stop, and it is always very crowded.

Quote:
How strange that they'd be in South Texas, but not far WT..!
You see kolaches in South Texas because there are many Czech immigrants and old settlements in South Texas and Central Texas. Texas had the largest population of rural Czech communities (over 250) in the USA - they began immigration here in the 1840's. I believe most Texas Czechs to be from historic Bohemia and Moravia (or so I've been told). There was no Czechoslovakia until after WWI - there were "Czech lands" of Bohemia, Moravia and Slovakia and a Czech language. Each of these areas almost certainly had different methods and recipes for their traditional Kolaches (plural word). Some large, some small, some rolled - all with fillings. The core word for these pastries is koláč.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas