Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
Lived in Texas 60 years. People in other states respond negatively to irritating bragging and arrogance as anyone naturally would. Texas has a vibe and style all its own just as Tennessee, Utah, Louisiana, Massachusettes, and so on. You say I am wrong - perfect example of what I am describing. Arrogance.
You ARE wrong if you say that Texas doesn't have it's own unique vibe and culture and self identity that's something to be proud of and embrace. It's not arrogance to point that out - it's just reality. I'm not saying that OTHER states don't have their own thing going - or that we're better than them. In fact, Texas isn't even my favorite state (Virginia is - Texas is my second favorite state). Sure - Tennessee has a great vibe - and so does Louisiana and Massachusetts and Utah - more power to 'em.

Texas is awesome. I'm so lucky to live here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Living in a foreign country has completely opened my eyes as to what life can be like. The quality of life, the wonderful wonderful cities. Going back to Texas at Christmas is fun to see my relatives but I feel so happy when I get on the plane and land back here.
I've lived in Asia and in Europe. I've traveled all over the world. I appreciate all the interesting things about so many places...but most of all, visiting and living in all those places makes me appreciate the US, and Texas, even more.

I love to travel, and my husband and I travel internationally about every other year, and travel all over the US every year. Yep, we love to travel - and yep, we love to come back home to Texas.

Recently, we realized with a surge of excitement that due to the nature of my husband's job, now that our youngest has graduated from high school and is in college, we can literally live anywhere in the world we want to live, as long as we have easy access to an international airport. We really mulled this over, and we made several trips around the US and to Europe with an open mind about moving just about anywhere.

You know where we decided on? You guessed it - Texas. We can visit anywhere anytime. But we choose to live in Texas.

To each his own.

We close on our new house in Texas in a month. YEEHAW!

Old 04-13-2014, 05:36 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Living in a foreign country has completely opened my eyes as to what life can be like. The quality of life, the wonderful wonderful cities. Going back to Texas at Christmas is fun to see my relatives but I feel so happy when I get on the plane and land back here.
Maybe your relatives are happy, too.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:39 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
I don't get the original OP post at all. Texas is very little different in real terms than anyplace else in the US especially its neighbor states. Some want to glamorize Texas for their own personal reasons.
And some want to denigrate it for their own personal reasons...reckon?

Old 04-13-2014, 06:09 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
=Jimmy1953;34352220] Lived in Texas 60 years.
Where did you live in Texas, just out of curiosity...?

You don't say anything about yourself on your profile. Not that you are required to, of course, I hasten to add, but just gotta wonder as to the time frame. I mean, were you born in Texas and then moved to a foreign country at age 60?

Then you are coming back to Texas to visit relatives and can't wait to (apparently) see them and get it all over with, then fly back trans-Atlantic to some other country you don't name either? (unless I missed it...but what is this new utopia...?).

If I may ask also? What is your relationship to those you say you are flying back to Texas to visit? Your children? Grandchildren? Aunts and Uncles....?

Quote:
People in other states respond negatively to irritating bragging and arrogance as anyone naturally would. Texas has a vibe and style all its own just as Tennessee, Utah, Louisiana, Massachusettes, and so on. You say I am wrong - perfect example of what I am describing. Arrogance.
Who ever from Texas ever said residents of other states don't have a right to brag and boast on their own? Point that out just once! This is silly.

Sorry (and I will publicly apologize if I am wrong), but your posts ring of total BS...and perhaps jealousy...?

Old 04-13-2014, 06:36 PM

770 posts, read 1,797,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
People from the northeast come down here and wonder why we don't have transit, neighborhoods, etc like New York, Boston or DC. Consider the following:

NYC area is appx 500 square miles. Boston is about 90 square miles. Washington DC would fit within the inner loop of Dallas.

Dallas / Fort Worth has approximately 9000 square miles and is essentially a strip city. It would encompass the area between New York and Philadelphia. Houston area is even larger, at over 10,000 square miles.

Texas, if a country, would be in the top 10 in GDP. It's cities are bigger than many countries in population.

Texas is effectively a totally different environment, both financially and physically than the Northeast. If you do not accept that moving from the Northeast to Texas is like moving to a different country, you will not be happy. If you moved to Spain or France and expected it to be like home, you would be disappointed. The same applies when moving to Texas. Don't expect to to be like a borough of New York or a Boston neighborhood. It is not, and we don't want it to be. We don't all commute to downtown Dallas or Houston to work. Most, in fact, work in any of the various satellite cities.

So come to Texas, and accept that Texas is a much more dynamic, growing world. Employment and business opportunities abound as do housing, etc. If you don't like one area, there is a totally different environment just hours away. But also realize that we are not going to change to accommodate you. It is this freedom to grow and innovate that has made Texas the economic powerhouse it is.

Welcome to Texas, y'all.
I agree, Texas is great and would recommend it to just about anyone. I live here and like it a lot. The only things that I don't like and would warn any perspective future resident about are the shady politicians that currently run the various important state government offices and the lack of a good, solid, and unbiased justice system that tends to be ripe with corruption in many areas (especially in rural areas).

Old 04-13-2014, 06:53 PM

638 posts, read 568,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Maybe your relatives are happy, too.
Is it possible Texas is not utopia? Or even as close as some other places? After 60 years in Texas I can assure you I have learned there are many places closer.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:57 PM

638 posts, read 568,848 times
Default Texas bragging

I have to chuckle when I read these Texas bragging comments. I want to pat children and support them. Once they mature they will see life as it really is.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I have to chuckle when I read these Texas bragging comments. I want to pat children and support them. Once they mature they will see life as it really is.

Hey. I am 52 years old. I have five kids and seven grandkids (don't pat on them, by the way - they don't know you and wouldn't appreciate it).

Like I said (and you ignored), I've lived in Asia and Europe and all over the US. It's not like I chose to love and live in Texas because I don't know any better. I choose Texas because I DO know a fabulous place to live and raise a family when I see one.

That's right - I'm not from Texas, but Texas wants me anyway.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Is it possible Texas is not utopia? Or even as close as some other places? After 60 years in Texas I can assure you I have learned there are many places closer.
For YOU, maybe - and that's great. I wish you all the happiness in the world.

What I don't understand is that you can't seem to grasp the concept that no one place on this wide world is Utopia for everyone. THAT, my friend, would be ridiculous arrogance to claim. All people are saying on this thread is that they personally love Texas and it's a great fit for them. Rather than belittling their choices and their happiness, you should be rejoicing with them for finding a place in this world that they love.

Like the rabbi in "Fiddler on the Roof" says: "May the Lord bless and keep you...far away from us."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas