Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 08:04 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,441,479 times

Advertisements

People from the northeast come down here and wonder why we don't have transit, neighborhoods, etc like New York, Boston or DC. Consider the following:

NYC area is appx 500 square miles. Boston is about 90 square miles. Washington DC would fit within the inner loop of Dallas.

Dallas / Fort Worth has approximately 9000 square miles and is essentially a strip city. It would encompass the area between New York and Philadelphia. Houston area is even larger, at over 10,000 square miles.

Texas, if a country, would be in the top 10 in GDP. It's cities are bigger than many countries in population.

Texas is effectively a totally different environment, both financially and physically than the Northeast. If you do not accept that moving from the Northeast to Texas is like moving to a different country, you will not be happy. If you moved to Spain or France and expected it to be like home, you would be disappointed. The same applies when moving to Texas. Don't expect to to be like a borough of New York or a Boston neighborhood. It is not, and we don't want it to be. We don't all commute to downtown Dallas or Houston to work. Most, in fact, work in any of the various satellite cities.

So come to Texas, and accept that Texas is a much more dynamic, growing world. Employment and business opportunities abound as do housing, etc. If you don't like one area, there is a totally different environment just hours away. But also realize that we are not going to change to accommodate you. It is this freedom to grow and innovate that has made Texas the economic powerhouse it is.

Welcome to Texas, y'all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 08:10 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,943,536 times
I agree with you. Though to be fair, most of the people moving to Texas (anecdotally anyway) seem to be people of a more conservative or libertarian bent seeking to escape big government ways of the blue states. Self-sorting (e.g. people move to places with political attitudes similar to their own) is a much-studied phenomenon in political science and it appears to be intensifying as the American left and right have less to agree about with each passing year.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:06 AM

168 posts, read 370,048 times
We are moving to Texas for my husband's job, but one of the reasons we are excited for the move is for a big change! We aren't happy where we are, for our kids and for our family. I can't wait to be a part of Texas! It's going to be a little bit of a culture shock, I am sure, but we are ready for it!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:24 PM

270 posts, read 592,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrscandles View Post
It's going to be a little bit of a culture shock, I am sure, but we are ready for it!
I'm moving to Texas from Germany, so it's really a completely new world and culture shock. But I agree with you a 100%.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:27 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
I don't know anyone who expected Texas to be just like the place they came from. Ironically, most people I meet seem surprised that it isn't as different a world as they thought it would be. After all, Americans are still Americans, in my experience, no matter how much we like to dwell on our differences.

The way I see it, people will be happiest in finding some common ground between their new home and their old one. Cities like Houston and Dallas are certainly large enough to find people and activities that meet your interests. If one of your interests is getting out of town as much as you possibly can, well, join a travel club.

As for transit and neighborhoods, these things are catching on in our major cities, and that's a change for the better, in my opinion.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:00 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,030,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I don't know anyone who expected Texas to be just like the place they came from. Ironically, most people I meet seem surprised that it isn't as different a world as they thought it would be. After all, Americans are still Americans, in my experience, no matter how much we like to dwell on our differences.

The way I see it, people will be happiest in finding some common ground between their new home and their old one. Cities like Houston and Dallas are certainly large enough to find people and activities that meet your interests. If one of your interests is getting out of town as much as you possibly can, well, join a travel club.

As for transit and neighborhoods, these things are catching on in our major cities, and that's a change for the better, in my opinion.
I've had a similar experience. We have an Air Force base here in Abilene, Texas and I have several friends who were stationed at the base from all over the country. Most of them were truly surprised at how Texas was not that much different from other states they had been to or stationed in.

Really, most of the country is fairly homogeneous in many respects. Other than differences in regional accents and natural scenery in some states, every state seems to sadly be a quite similar stream of seemingly endless fast food joints, big box stores, and strip malls....lol. There might be a few rare exceptions, but probably not many. When I've traveled to different states I've experienced very few surprises.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I've had a similar experience. We have an Air Force base here in Abilene, Texas and I have several friends who were stationed at the base from all over the country. Most of them were truly surprised at how Texas was not that much different from other states they had been to or stationed in.

Really, most of the country is fairly homogeneous in many respects. Other than differences in regional accents and natural scenery in some states, every state seems to sadly be a quite similar stream of seemingly endless fast food joints, big box stores, and strip malls....lol. There might be a few rare exceptions, but probably not many. When I've traveled to different states I've experienced very few surprises.
This.

I'm sure it feels even more like home now that In N Outs are popping up everywhere, and they've opened a few Trader Joe's.

You're right about America; the only changes from major city to major city are the terrain, climate, and dominant grocery store chains.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,277 times
Wink Moving to bedford tx

Can someone tells a good apt to move to. I need answers from ppl who know the area. Please and Ty

Old 04-10-2014, 09:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msimington View Post
Can someone tells a good apt to move to. I need answers from ppl who know the area. Please and Ty
See if there is a 'Bedford' or 'HEB' (Hurst, Euless, Bedford) or 'mid-cities' (cities between Dallas and Fort Worth) forum.

Like most places, there are good and bad parts. Part of Euless borders Colleyville and is a nicer part, and Colleyville/Grapevine school district is considered better than HEB, but imo HEB is good too.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:26 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msimington View Post
I think you would have more luck with this question if you asked it in the Ft. Worth or even Dallas subsection of the Texas forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas