Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 03:25 PM

17 posts, read 28,422 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! I was born and raised in New York, relocated to Arizona, and now im going to Texas! Honestly, i've wanted to live in New Orleans my whole life, but i'm not quite comfortable with Louisiana yet. In a few more years i'd like to make the leap across the Texas Louisiana border. For now, i'm looking for a town within a 6 hour drive to New Orleans.

The only places i found all seemed to either have high crime, or close mindedness, or extremely small population who wouldn't welcome outsiders. Please help, I keep searching and reading, im exhausted and could just use a little push.
So here it is, the unattainable list!

Within 6 hour drive to New Orleans
Jobs are a non factor
Price range is a non factor
Schools are non factor
Anywhere from 15,000 and up population
SAFE SAFE SAFE SAFE SAFE. Safety is the biggest factor here!
Not too close to the coast.

I just want to know if this exists. Probably not and you all think im silly, but im trying!

Places ive looked at and have mixed feelings
Beaumont, lumberton, Orange, Jasper, West Livingston, Nacogdoches, Lufkin, Jacksonville, Tyler, Vidor, Nederland, Henderson Carthage...

Long shot, I know, but i'm totally in the dark here and ANY help at all is extremely appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 03:34 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
Tyler is not like any other on your list. Of course I'm not biased. Those in deep Southeast Texas, well, and those in Deep East Texas, are probably not familiar with too many "folk" from "up North". Many people in Tyler are from someplace else and many from DFW, me actually from Houston, but the Tyler for me is great. Austin is the most liberal city in Texas, "by a long shot" so if that is what you need, then... but is not New Orleans. Best of luck on finding something "tolerable" for now.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:35 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynrose View Post
Hello, all! I was born and raised in New York, relocated to Arizona, and now im going to Texas! Honestly, i've wanted to live in New Orleans my whole life, but i'm not quite comfortable with Louisiana yet. In a few more years i'd like to make the leap across the Texas Louisiana border. For now, i'm looking for a town within a 6 hour drive to New Orleans.

The only places i found all seemed to either have high crime, or close mindedness, or extremely small population who wouldn't welcome outsiders. Please help, I keep searching and reading, im exhausted and could just use a little push.
So here it is, the unattainable list!

Within 6 hour drive to New Orleans
Jobs are a non factor
Price range is a non factor
Schools are non factor
Anywhere from 15,000 and up population
SAFE SAFE SAFE SAFE SAFE. Safety is the biggest factor here!
Not too close to the coast.

I just want to know if this exists. Probably not and you all think im silly, but im trying!

Places ive looked at and have mixed feelings
Beaumont, lumberton, Orange, Jasper, West Livingston, Nacogdoches, Lufkin, Jacksonville, Tyler, Vidor, Nederland, Henderson Carthage...

Long shot, I know, but i'm totally in the dark here and ANY help at all is extremely appreciated!
Ive read on here lots of time from other poster that Beaumont is not a good place to live.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:08 PM

Thank-you! I've read great things about Tyler. That's where im leaning towards. The point of looking for something within 6 hours of New Orleans is so that if I never get over my fear of moving there, i'll be close enough to go spend the weekend there whenever I want. So i'll may just end up staying in Texas so I want to make sure it's the right fit. Im doing a road trip out that way in 2 weeks so i just wanted some info on towns to check out.

Beaumont had a high crime rate so I was already kind of not considering it, but the distance to NO was good, so I thought i'd see if any one had anything nice to say. Thanks!

Old 05-07-2014, 04:30 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
Quote:
Thank-you! I've read great things about Tyler. That's where im leaning towards. The point of looking for something within 6 hours of New Orleans is so that if I never get over my fear of moving there, i'll be close enough to go spend the weekend there whenever I want. So i'll may just end up staying in Texas so I want to make sure it's the right fit. Im doing a road trip out that way in 2 weeks so i just wanted some info on towns to check out.

Beaumont had a high crime rate so I was already kind of not considering it, but the distance to NO was good, so I thought i'd see if any one had anything nice to say. Thanks!
Netime....best of luck to you.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:41 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Look at Orange, down by Beaumont. Totally different town, much better.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:43 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
There are also several small towns just north of Beaumont that are very nice.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:16 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
Quote:

But hurry, before you get more shocked from the heat and humidity, than shock from the culture. lol

Old 05-07-2014, 05:28 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,664 times
All of those cities listed are trash except maybe tyler. Wish many of those weren't even a part of texas. Mainly any Beaumont east. I'd either go with Tyler or some small city/suburb of Houston. You could prob make it to New Orleans in 6 hours. That or just move there. Why live in those other small cities ? Lol

Old 05-07-2014, 06:01 PM

I can read as much info on these places as possible, but I wont really know until I go there. I lived in a small town in New York and now live in a small town outside of Phoenix, so small towns don't bother me. As long as there's a grocery store, friendly people, and wifi I can live anywhere haha. Where I live now there is a lot of crime and I just want to live somewhere that I can sit on my front porch without looking over my shoulder every 10 min.

I live in a nice suburb inside of a not so nice town, so generally my neighborhood is safe. But im not so naive to think that just because I live in a nice neighborhood one block away from daily arrests and criminal activity, im safe. There is crime everywhere, but I would really love to take a walk at night around the block. That isnt too much to ask somewhere in East Texas, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas