Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 04:35 PM

6 posts, read 8,595 times

Advertisements

Hello all, My husband and i want to movie to Texas for a higher quality of life. We live in NYC now and have two small children. We want a great area for family but a commutable area where we can get to a city. I am a nurse and will need to be able to commute to a major hospital. I know for a fact we want the suburbs, if we can find a place with a small town feel, that would be even better. We want low crime and good schools. I know this sounds like a very generalized question, but where in Texas should we go? We are looking to spend 300 thousand or less on a home. I will consider any suburbs of any major city. We originally were looking at Austin but my husband is concerned that it will be too liberal. We are NY Republicans, I know, sounds odd! If someone could just send us in the right direction that would be great! Thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 04:47 PM

27 posts, read 55,573 times
just quickly reading through your post - seems like dallas or houston suburbs are your best choice. austin is a cool city but does not have as many suburbs as dallas or houston. NY is a scary place to live if you are not a liberal. Hopefully Texas will never turn blue. good luck with the move

Old 07-07-2014, 04:53 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichofNYC View Post
Hello all, My husband and i want to movie to Texas for a higher quality of life. We live in NYC now and have two small children. We want a great area for family but a commutable area where we can get to a city. I am a nurse and will need to be able to commute to a major hospital. I know for a fact we want the suburbs, if we can find a place with a small town feel, that would be even better. We want low crime and good schools. I know this sounds like a very generalized question, but where in Texas should we go? We are looking to spend 300 thousand or less on a home. I will consider any suburbs of any major city. We originally were looking at Austin but my husband is concerned that it will be too liberal. We are NY Republicans, I know, sounds odd! If someone could just send us in the right direction that would be great! Thank you so much!!!
For your needs, I'd recommend Richardson. You can commute to most major hospitals in Dallas, Richardson, and Plano from here. It suits your budget and the schools are outstanding. The Richardson Heights and Heights Park neighborhoods are very tight-knit and neighborly. Just today, someone described the Heights as "small town" on its neighborhood association Facebook page (which is VERY active). Check it out.

Dallas County (where Richardson is located) is technically blue, but Richardson itself is still majority-Republican. Younger people tend to be more liberal, but I rarely discuss politics with neighbors. Most political signs I see in front yards here are for Republican candidates. That may be because Republicans are better at knocking on doors. I have no idea. Nobody here seems to care all that much. People argue more about local issues than anything else.

A lot of the younger families in Heights go to the Watermark megachurch on LBJ (a short drive from the area) which is known to be rather conservative, if that helps.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:12 PM

Thank you for the quick responses I'm going to look into those places and come back with any question!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:13 PM

Thank you I am going to investigate those areas!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:40 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
All the above advice is good but, in defense of Austin, if you're in the 'burbs of Austin, you'd be fine. Loads of Republicans in Round Rock, Georgetown and the like.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:49 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
small townish and good schools, low crime, close to hospitals and city would be Godley, Fairview, Prosper, Sache, Rockwall, Trophy Club, Roanoke

Old 07-07-2014, 06:55 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
The woodlands, spring, sugar land and Katy all good areas for school/suburbs with large hospitals in those areas or access to the med center in houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas