Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:28 AM

81 posts, read 124,766 times

Advertisements

Who can point me to somewhere that lists Texas state gun laws. I know you can't open carry handguns. I live in AZ where we pretty much do whatever.

What are the laws on transportation of firearms?
Any laws pertaining to storage of firearms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 09:01 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Here is a good summary. Bluntly, you cannot carry a hand gun openly, except then transferring to a vehicle. Rifle, just don't go into a store carrying a loaded rifle. No required storage, etc.

Gun laws in Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-15-2014, 11:07 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
AZ to TX.....not a good idea for a gun person! I went from NV to TX and that was pretty traumatic!

Old 08-15-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Here is a good summary. Bluntly, you cannot carry a hand gun openly, except then transferring to a vehicle. Rifle, just don't go into a store carrying a loaded rifle. No required storage, etc.

Gun laws in Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ok cool thanks for that. Pretty much a mirror of AZ except for open carry of handguns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
AZ to TX.....not a good idea for a gun person! I went from NV to TX and that was pretty traumatic!
LOL yeah. What did you notice as a major difference?

Old 08-15-2014, 09:30 PM

No open carry......general bravado about being a gun state then the reality of general attitudes being very anti-gun.

Just mention open carry and you'll see the attitude.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
No open carry......general bravado about being a gun state then the reality of general attitudes being very anti-gun.

hmm interesting.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:28 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:

I'm not sure that bravado comes from natives, though. Everywhere online that I see mentions of Texas being the modern "Wild West West" comes from folks who very likely have never set foot here. You know, because GWB was born here and we're a true, down to the wool, red state.

Yeah, not quite true on any of those counts.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:27 AM

No....it's the Texans themselves...

I find that many have that New York type of never left the state so they believe their own BS attitude.
They think they are the most gun friendly because they've never been to a gun-friendly state.

Just mention open carry and watch them go on about why you would want that and how there would be shootouts and all the other stereotypes that anti-gunners bloviate about.

They've never been in a place where there are people standing in line at the grocery store with a gun on their hip...no shootouts no mass panic...nothing.

Texans also seem to have odd ideas about other things too....like calling Midland a desert and very dry...obviously they've never been to a REAL desert or somewhere dry. They also seem to thing that a 300' building is TALL...again, they must not have ever seen a TALL building.

Texans also LOVE big government and bureaucracy...just their own...not the Fed's.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:

I find that many have that New York type of never left the state so they believe their own BS attitude.
They think they are the most gun friendly because they've never been to a gun-friendly state.

Just mention open carry and watch them go on about why you would want that and how there would be shootouts and all the other stereotypes that anti-gunners bloviate about.

They've never been in a place where there are people standing in line at the grocery store with a gun on their hip...no shootouts no mass panic...nothing.

Texans also seem to have odd ideas about other things too....like calling Midland a desert and very dry...obviously they've never been to a REAL desert or somewhere dry. They also seem to thing that a 300' building is TALL...again, they must not have ever seen a TALL building.

Texans also LOVE big government and bureaucracy...just their own...not the Fed's.
Well, I'm a Texan and I've always thought open carry would be a good idea because then you'd SEE the guns, rather than having them all around you and not knowing that they are. I've yet to hear a Texan talk about shoot outs in the street except when laughing about someone who thinks we actually have them at high noon on a regular basis, or when pulling someone's leg - we can pull "Texan" pretty well when we run into someone who's bought into it or who does the look down their nose thing, laughing all the while. And most of the women that I know own a gun (usually their Daddy gets one for them and teaches them how to shoot it when they're young - I was 8, and a bit behind the curve among my peers) and many have their concealed carry and more are getting them.

And most of the actual Texans I know have not only been out of state but have even been overseas. Don't know what Texans you're talking to, but if you're coming across with the bit of attitude that's displayed in your post above, that would explain a lot.

You also need to remember that you're painting an entire state covering some 2,268,000+ sq. miles and with a population of 26,000,000+ with the same brush - never a smart idea.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:36 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Quote:

Although I am completely on the opposite end of the continuum from Cyborg, as a Texas expat I find these observations to be generally correct, if perhaps just a bit exaggerated. Texans are totally unobjective about their state.

Of course, I think there are actually redeeming features in Texas; Arizona -- well, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas