Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 02:48 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,401,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But the OP clearly states that they aren't as concerned with humidity as they are the sun
Yeah, but that's like saying that the OP isn't concerned with cold and then comparing Amarillo [it occasionally snows!]to Alaska. If the OP was from the southeast or north east, I'd say no problem, but coming from a non-humid area and saying you are cool with humidity is not the same thing.

Of course, since the OP is Korean, then if he/she lived in South Korea, it's pretty similar to Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 12:51 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Yeah, but that's like saying that the OP isn't concerned with cold and then comparing Amarillo [it occasionally snows!]to Alaska. If the OP was from the southeast or north east, I'd say no problem, but coming from a non-humid area and saying you are cool with humidity is not the same thing.

Of course, since the OP is Korean, then if he/she lived in South Korea, it's pretty similar to Houston.
Maybe - but SK is a LOT cooler than anywhere in Texas on average. Even Busan and Jeju aren't going to consistently give you the type of weather you get in Texas. High-90s and hundred degree days are very very rare there.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:16 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Houston may be cloudy, but Dallas just spent the last 4 months everday having a dewpoint above 65F, and most above 70F, which counts as 'oppressive'. Houston is even more humid than Dallas, so comparing sun + humidity between Seattle and Houston is a whole different ballgame.

Here's a comparison between Seattle and Houston for example:
The dewpoint in Houston is above 60F (muggy) daily from April through October and above 70F (oppressive) from May through October. Seattle's average dew point barely touches 60F and is below 55F most of the year. In other words, Seattle is not humid in a way that you would ever feel it in the temperature.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States
https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States
I don't know what scale you are looking at but a 60F dew point is not muggy This obsession people are developing against humidity is becoming comical

Old 09-27-2014, 09:32 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Believe it or not Houston is one of the cloudiest major cities in the country.

Cloudiest Cities in US - Current Results

It's also well shaded with lots of trees. If you don't want to be overexposed to the sun, Houston is your winner.
That article can be misleading. The cities listed in the article are said to have cloud coverage from 1/4 to 3/4 of the sky. So that doesn't necessarily mean there's no sun, it just means there's plenty of clouds

Old 09-27-2014, 09:57 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
That article can be misleading. The cities listed in the article are said to have cloud coverage from 1/4 to 3/4 of the sky. So that doesn't necessarily mean there's no sun, it just means there's plenty of clouds
It isn't misleading if the reader pays close attention to what the rankings measure. The greater amount of clouds in the sky means more periods throughout the day when the sun is covered.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:44 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I've never thought the sun was overbearing in Texas as much as it is to me out here in the West. A dry heat on a sunny day like we have here in LA is unbearable because that sun just beams down on you like an ant under a magnifying glass. The sunny humid days in Houston bothers me more because of the sauna like humidity.
In Austin we have both... sun beats down on you almost constantly, and more humidity than you have out west.

Houston isn't as bad IMO, they have more cloud cover than Austin/central TX.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:56 PM

227 posts, read 385,660 times
I think Houston is extremely hot and the humidity is very significant. You have to really like hot weather a lot to even consider Houston.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:10 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
I think Houston is extremely hot and the humidity is very significant. You have to really like hot weather a lot to even consider Houston.
I think you really have to like hot weather to consider any of these cities. Not sure why you're singling out Houston. Whatever slight differences there are in humidity levels between these cities are made up for by the slight temperature differences between them. Once you factor in the heat indexes, they're all equally uncomfortable, or comfortable if you actually like that kind of thing.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:27 AM

227 posts, read 385,660 times
I agree. You have to like heat to enjoy any of them. Houston to me does seem more humid than central Texas.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:25 AM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
I think a lot of people are just intimidated by the size amd complexity of Houston which causes stress when they visit and of course that makes them perspire and feel uncomfortable, which they in turn blame on Houston's humidity. I guess it is human nature to blame external factors for discomfort that is not immediately explainable, but once most people who move here adjust to both the weather and pace of life they realize that Houston weather is no hotter than any other Texas city and is in reality better in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas