Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 07:13 AM

33 posts, read 36,801 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move for my family and would dearly appreciate input from you who know.

We live in rural colorado, elevation 7200', on a small 5-acre ranch raising goats and chickens, with pigs and possibly cattle in the near future. Wherever we end up we would like to continue at least semi rurally with at least these animals, if not more.

The primary motivator is to find a place that is not desert and is, instead, green. Not talking politics or responsible use of resources here - green, as in growing things, not all brown for months out of the year. This almost certainly means warmer, which is just fine by us, and lower altitude will mean longer growing season, which would be a huge plus.

Just looking at satellite images the state looks greener to the east. We have no real exposure to Texas besides passing through sometimes, so we really don't know where to start.

Air quality is a big consideration too. We have the occasional problem with asthma in the family. We believe these considerations would militate against the Houston area, however pleasant it otherwise seems - though again, we don't really know the state and we're open to being convinced.

It shouldn't matter too much, but in case it does, we are a multi-ethnic family with children adopted from Russia and China. We are also Christians and hope to find a good bible-believing church nearby with people who love the Lord above all - something fairly rare in our experience.

Yishmeray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 07:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yishmeray View Post
I am considering a move for my family and would dearly appreciate input from you who know.

We live in rural colorado, elevation 7200', on a small 5-acre ranch raising goats and chickens, with pigs and possibly cattle in the near future. Wherever we end up we would like to continue at least semi rurally with at least these animals, if not more.

The primary motivator is to find a place that is not desert and is, instead, green. Not talking politics or responsible use of resources here - green, as in growing things, not all brown for months out of the year. This almost certainly means warmer, which is just fine by us, and lower altitude will mean longer growing season, which would be a huge plus.

Just looking at satellite images the state looks greener to the east. We have no real exposure to Texas besides passing through sometimes, so we really don't know where to start.

Air quality is a big consideration too. We have the occasional problem with asthma in the family. We believe these considerations would militate against the Houston area, however pleasant it otherwise seems - though again, we don't really know the state and we're open to being convinced.

It shouldn't matter too much, but in case it does, we are a multi-ethnic family with children adopted from Russia and China. We are also Christians and hope to find a good bible-believing church nearby with people who love the Lord above all - something fairly rare in our experience.

Yishmeray
You should have no trouble meeting all your needs in Northeast Texas or even Deep East Texas. Check out the areas around Tyler/Longview/Texarkana/Nacogdoches - rolling green hills, mild winters, plenty of water, plenty of friendly towns and churches, etc.

Good luck - keep us posted!

Old 12-27-2014, 08:31 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,344,413 times
I'd draw a line from Texarkana to Dallas, down to San Antonio, over to Houston, back to Texarkana.

That is a lot of Texas territory so good luck.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:28 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,807 times
Anywhere from Tyler, Longview, Marshall to Nacogoches, Palestine, Huntsville or Lufkin.. Outside of Tyler, and possibly Longview, these are all still going to be very small rural towns though...Tyler should fit the bill quite well though.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:42 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,542,202 times
Yeah Northeast Texas.

The Coal Fired Electrical Plants have been getting busted by the EPA, and Natural Gas is under-cutting the price of Coal so the Air Quality is improving.

Now the Green-Nature itself may be the hardest on Asthma. Lot of pollen and such allergies. Our kids get it in the Spring and Fall when out in East Texas -- we call it the Pine Flu.

Heavy to Severe Bible-Thumping out that way, too, so you should find what you are looking for.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:49 PM

Just trying to sell upper east Texas some more. If you decide on Tyler, this is what you can look forward to.

Visit the East Texas Piney Woods - Review of Tyler State Park, Tyler, TX - TripAdvisor

Old 12-27-2014, 05:12 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,081,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Yeah Northeast Texas.

The Coal Fired Electrical Plants have been getting busted by the EPA, and Natural Gas is under-cutting the price of Coal so the Air Quality is improving.

Now the Green-Nature itself may be the hardest on Asthma. Lot of pollen and such allergies. Our kids get it in the Spring and Fall when out in East Texas -- we call it the Pine Flu.

Heavy to Severe Bible-Thumping out that way, too, so you should find what you are looking for.
Yep, to some Heavy to Severe Bible-Thumping, is not a bad thing, just saying... or to say they're a lot of "worse" sins out there, lol People are not "in your face" in Tyler with "church" but is readily available but being "readily available" could be "disturbing, a bother" to some...

Last edited by Mark Senior; 12-27-2014 at 05:28 PM..

Old 12-27-2014, 05:20 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,081,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Just trying to sell upper east Texas some more. If you decide on Tyler, this is what you can look forward to.

Visit the East Texas Piney Woods - Review of Tyler State Park, Tyler, TX - TripAdvisor
Couldn't rep you again. So, rep.!! good photos.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Couldn't rep you again. So, rep.!! good photos.
Thank you sir! And just know, no one appreciates your stewardship and knowledge of all things Tyler, any more than I! Im back for the holidays, and it is a true Texas gem.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:46 PM

33 posts, read 36,801 times
What a wonderful outpouring of responses. Thank you, Texas folk. My family and I are much obliged to you for the kindness, and will most definitely remember you as the day approaches.

Pine has been mentioned a couple of times - are the forests mainly on the pine/fir/spruce/coniferous end, or deciduous as well? I see in the pictures from the park that there seem to be quite a mix, so maybe that answers the question already.

KathrynAragon - thank you so much! I hope you will pardon me if I inquire a bit farther: Outside of the city areas you named, you also mentioned deep east Texas. What would that signify in particular, if it's different from the tyler/longview/texarkana/nacogdoches areas you mentioned?

Soletaire - the photos are a great help. Thank you. May I ask: By upper east Texas, are you meaning Tyler and its immediate environs specifically, or a larger region (and, if so, how would you define it)? Not that that region is any too small!

How lovely to find such help and so easily.

And to Philip T and Mark Senior - much obliged on the matter of Christians, bible thumpers or otherwise. It's pretty rough to get the landscape from afar, and this is a huge part of it.

-- Yishmeray

Last edited by yishmeray; 12-27-2014 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: left out what I saw in the pictures about trees. sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas