Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:57 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,038,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
LOL I tell you girl, despite your crowing about how educated you are (from a previous thread when you were trying to put other people down ), you should really try and comprehend what it is you read before running off at the mouth about it. The OP clearly states he lives in CA, so how silly is your remark, may I ask?

You clearly have a chip on your shoulder regarding Mexico, Mexicans, illegals and it sounds like you think everyone is 'picking on you' as Charley Brown would say.

You call Texas "your state", but it's obvious you have no knowledge of the history of Texas. Here is a very short, quick history lesson for you that I'm hoping you will be able to understand and therefore make it possible for you to make more educated remarks regarding Texas and her history.

Texas was claimed and controlled by six different nations, ergo the phrase "Six Flags of Texas". The Six Flags amusement park corporation takes its etymology from this phrase.

The following lists the countries had sovereignty Texas in order from first to last:

Spain (1519 - 1685; 1690 - 1821*)
France (1685 - 1690)
Mexico (1821 - 1836)
Republic of Texas (1836 - 1846**)
United States of America (1846 - 1861; 1865 - present***)
Confederate States of America (1861 - 1865)

*During this 5-year break in sovereignty, France claimed Texas.

**Texas was officially annexed in 1845; however, the United States government had not yet found a governor for Texas, and therefore, allowed them to continue governing themselves until they found a suitable governor in 1846.

***During this 4-year break, Texas abandoned the Stars and Stripes flag for the Confederate flag in 1861 during the Civil War. It assumed the United States flag once again when it was readmitted into the Union in 1865.

As you can clearly see, your remark "Texas was Mexico before anything else" is absurd.
Maybe she's not originally from Texas.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:17 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
LOL I tell you girl, despite your crowing about how educated you are (from a previous thread when you were trying to put other people down ), you should really try and comprehend what it is you read before running off at the mouth about it. The OP clearly states he lives in CA, so how silly is your remark, may I ask?

You clearly have a chip on your shoulder regarding Mexico, Mexicans, illegals and it sounds like you think everyone is 'picking on you' as Charley Brown would say.

You call Texas "your state", but it's obvious you have no knowledge of the history of Texas. Here is a very short, quick history lesson for you that I'm hoping you will be able to understand and therefore make it possible for you to make more educated remarks regarding Texas and her history.

Texas was claimed and controlled by six different nations, ergo the phrase "Six Flags of Texas". The Six Flags amusement park corporation takes its etymology from this phrase.

The following lists the countries had sovereignty Texas in order from first to last:

Spain (1519 - 1685; 1690 - 1821*)
France (1685 - 1690)
Mexico (1821 - 1836)
Republic of Texas (1836 - 1846**)
United States of America (1846 - 1861; 1865 - present***)
Confederate States of America (1861 - 1865)

*During this 5-year break in sovereignty, France claimed Texas.

**Texas was officially annexed in 1845; however, the United States government had not yet found a governor for Texas, and therefore, allowed them to continue governing themselves until they found a suitable governor in 1846.

***During this 4-year break, Texas abandoned the Stars and Stripes flag for the Confederate flag in 1861 during the Civil War. It assumed the United States flag once again when it was readmitted into the Union in 1865.

As you can clearly see, your remark "Texas was Mexico before anything else" is absurd.
Another 'all thumbs up post'. Mexico was nothing but the abandoned remnants of a Spanish empire. which BTW, destroyed another empire that was not so Mexican. So, why not open the doors to Spaniards rather than Mexicans? At least most of them enter the country with a visa.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Should have checked her facts (it's all over the internet) before she mouthed off with the nasty post.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:54 PM

98 posts, read 121,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
What about the word illegal do you not understand? They are criminals breaking the law. You can't just sneak across an international border and decide to start living in another country. Many countries will throw you in a prison, or worse. Most people have no problems with immigrants. Our country was built by immigrants. However, you need to go about it the correct and LEGAL way.
RIGHT ON !!!!! Our family did. Came down from Canada, thru New York, the LEGAL way.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:56 PM

98 posts, read 121,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundNinia View Post
I wish people like you would leave my state. Texas was Mexico before anything else. Take your california butt back home.

The OP does NOT live in Texas. Did you not read it correctly?
And maybe you should leave Texas with that unfriendly attitude. Sheesh!
OH, and the humans took the land from the dinosaurs.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:54 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
The system needs a reform. We need to make the process easier for people who want to come here to be here. Im not for letting just anyone in and criminal records should be taken into consideration.

As for "stealing Texan jobs", deport them all and watch our economy go into the crapper.

The Law Of Unintended Consequences: Georgia's Immigration Law Backfires - Forbes

Old 02-19-2015, 12:00 PM

554 posts, read 745,727 times
Default What About "Assimilating"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
I have to agree with this statement. Many, many people who live in Texas (today) are not from there. I wasn't.
But ... and this (to me) is the crux of the matter - Once y'all decide to settle in Texas, it behooves you to learn as much as possible about the place you've come to. And the word "assimilate" keeps popping-up, well, in my mind, anyway!

When I first took my Family to Texas to live (many eons ago), we did our dead-level-best to walk, talk, speak, eat, work, and sweat like Texans. WHY??! Because we were proud of the heritage of the State which we were planning to become a part ... We "assimilated".

What I find most disturbing about illegal immigrants, as well as others of those who have recently legally come to The United States as well as Texas, is that they refuse to assimilate; they do not want to identify themselves as (just-plain) Americans; they do not want to identify themselves as Texans. They prefer to remain "hyphenated-Americans" which is just wrong (in my book). They cling to their former countries' cultures, instead of trying to become Americanized / Texanized.

Now ... We'll argue the whole point ad nauseum, but just like the Government-of-old, unless illegal immigration is discouraged, either by making instant criminals of the ones illegally immigrating, or until they're sent back from where they came, their presence in our midst will continue to be a "thorn in the side" of the American Way of Life.
I believe that the judge who found the loophole must continue (or at-least lead) the fight, and carry it through until the "tide" of illegal immigrants is considerably slowed, if not eliminated (Yeah, good luck with that! ). THEN, a "Bracero"-like program could be implemented to make those here illegally, for more-than-'X'-number-of-years, become legal citizens, and assimilate.

Everybody has opinions - Yours probably vary from mine. But, that's OK. --- Thanks - TC

Old 02-19-2015, 12:48 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,502,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
I have to agree with this statement. Many, many people who live in Texas (today) are not from there. I wasn't.
But ... and this (to me) is the crux of the matter - Once y'all decide to settle in Texas, it behooves you to learn as much as possible about the place you've come to. And the word "assimilate" keeps popping-up, well, in my mind, anyway!

When I first took my Family to Texas to live (many eons ago), we did our dead-level-best to walk, talk, speak, eat, work, and sweat like Texans. WHY??! Because we were proud of the heritage of the State which we were planning to become a part ... We "assimilated".

What I find most disturbing about illegal immigrants, as well as others of those who have recently legally come to The United States as well as Texas, is that they refuse to assimilate; they do not want to identify themselves as (just-plain) Americans; they do not want to identify themselves as Texans. They prefer to remain "hyphenated-Americans" which is just wrong (in my book). They cling to their former countries' cultures, instead of trying to become Americanized / Texanized.

Now ... We'll argue the whole point ad nauseum, but just like the Government-of-old, unless illegal immigration is discouraged, either by making instant criminals of the ones illegally immigrating, or until they're sent back from where they came, their presence in our midst will continue to be a "thorn in the side" of the American Way of Life.
I believe that the judge who found the loophole must continue (or at-least lead) the fight, and carry it through until the "tide" of illegal immigrants is considerably slowed, if not eliminated (Yeah, good luck with that! ). THEN, a "Bracero"-like program could be implemented to make those here illegally, for more-than-'X'-number-of-years, become legal citizens, and assimilate.

Everybody has opinions - Yours probably vary from mine. But, that's OK. --- Thanks - TC
Well said.
And I agree 100%...... Adapt to OUR culture and way of life, or go back to wherever you came from.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:40 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Well said.
And I agree 100%...... Adapt to OUR culture and way of life, or go back to wherever you came from.
What is OUR culture and way of life? Texas is very diverse. Texas is not one thing.

I look at it this way. Im from California. I love living in Texas. That doesnt mean I have to change anything about myself. I live in Collin County where most people are from out of state or out of country. I gotta tell you, living in a place like Collin or Fort Bend County isnt much different from living in Orange County, CA, Gwinnett County, GA, or Will County, IL.

Heres the deal, first and foremost, Im an American. I dont have to change just because I move to a different place inside my country. Honestly, most people in the major cities in Texas dont really expect you to per the impressions I get.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:32 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
I agree with most of the statements/posts above (started mostly by LoneStar and Cathy, but others as well). Exactly how many "amnesty" orders are going to be given out? They never seem to stop, and never will if this insanity continues.

Texas was never "Mexico"...it was an area claimed by it. Just as Arkansas and Oklahoma were once claimed by France. Texas really became TEXAS when it declared and then won its independence and became a sovereign state in the United States. It has its own culture and own way of life and if one moves here, but doesn't grasp that simple fact, then

I don't want Texas to become Mexico or California or Massachusetts or New York, and that supposedly magic term "diversity" means nothing at all unless it is accompanied by exactly what is meant by it. And if that makes me "xenophobic" or whatever the chic term is, then too damn bad.

No, as a few have said, if one moves to Texas they are still in the United States, and have every right to live here. But by the same token, to presume to give Texans a lecture about it all is not only arrogant and full of a sense of misplaced moral superiority, but also indicates just now much they don't understand Texas, even though they claim to "love" living here.

In many cases, oh yeah, I am sure they do (love it is). They can get a job here and enjoy our more easy-going ways and manners...but then try and convert it back into the same screwed up place -- politically, economically, and socially -- they ran out of to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas