Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:21 AM

52,685 posts, read 47,940,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
You got it, my friend. Speaking of, as you are obviously know Wichita is not in Kansas! LOL....the other night some friends were over and we got to talking about old steakhouses. Would you happen to remember the old "Frontier Steak House"...?
I don't remember that one. But I do know that McBride's is a household name in The Falls. They used to have two steakhouse locations and a separate place for barbecue. Now, all they've got is that one steakhouse location on Maplewood, but you can correct me if I'm wrong. Oh, one more thing -- here's some additional trivia. WF has got to be the largest city in Texas without a single Dairy Queen location. I'm ninety percent sure; I'll look it up, but I think all the Texas cities larger than they are have one. By comparison, Tyler, which has 10,000 fewer people than WF, has six. I bring this up because DQ is a Texas institution, but right now, Henrietta has the closest one and WF doesn't have one. Go figure.

Anyway, thanks, TR, for the great word!

Old 01-20-2008, 10:34 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times
yep, i used to love that place! i also used to go to some catfish restaurant in Wichita Falls-i forget the name of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
If I ever get to the Falls, we should go get a steak at McBride's.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:46 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
I don't remember that one. But I do know that McBride's is a household name in The Falls. They used to have two steakhouse locations and a separate place for barbecue. Now, all they've got is that one steakhouse location on Maplewood, but you can correct me if I'm wrong. Oh, one more thing -- here's some additional trivia. WF has got to be the largest city in Texas without a single Dairy Queen location. I'm ninety percent sure; I'll look it up, but I think all the Texas cities larger than they are have one. By comparison, Tyler, which has 10,000 fewer people than WF, has six. I bring this up because DQ is a Texas institution, but right now, Henrietta has the closest one and WF doesn't have one. Go figure.

Anyway, thanks, TR, for the great word!
No, you are correct as to where they (McBrides Steakhouses) are located. I think they are the modern day offshoot of the old "P" (Pioneer) restaurants/cafes. Remember? "P-2", P-3, P-5....and how about the rest of y'all keepin' yer smartaleck cracks to yerselves as concerns the "P" and the number in line outside the men's bathrooms cos of the beer they were famous for, dammit...?! (j/k)

*AHEM* Anyway, you are also correct on the DQ thing. Don't quote me, but the way I heard it -- and that is ALL it is, heard -- is that the reason they don't exist in Wichita has something to do with a financial scandal.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
yep, i used to love that place! i also used to go to some catfish restaurant in Wichita Falls-i forget the name of it
You got me on that one, Miss Belle. In fact, we were talking the other night (me and my better half and another couple) about the fact there doesn't seem to be any good catfish joints in Wichita Falls. And how strange it to be, since we are in the middle of the "Catfish Belt" LOL

Could you maybe be thinking about "Bill's Catfish" just across the state line in Oklahoma? Gawdamighty, do they make an absolutely perfect mess of cat!!!!!! With all the trimmins'!

Hmmmmm *afterthought*. Reckon "mess of cat" oughta be one of those terms mentioned on the hard to translate for yankees thread...? *grins*

Old 01-20-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
You got me on that one, Miss Belle. In fact, we were talking the other night (me and my better half and another couple) about the fact there doesn't seem to be any good catfish joints in Wichita Falls. And how strange it to be, since we are in the middle of the "Catfish Belt" LOL

Could you maybe be thinking about "Bill's Catfish" just across the state line in Oklahoma? Gawdamighty, do they make an absolutely perfect mess of cat!!!!!! With all the trimmins'!

Hmmmmm *afterthought*. Reckon "mess of cat" oughta be one of those terms mentioned on the hard to translate for yankees thread...? *grins*
Uncle Lynn's is probably what you are thinking of. It tragically burned to the ground in 2001 and has never been rebuilt. I think all that's left is Kickapoo, and I'm not sure that is still around.

By the way, guys, please, one favor -- no spanking me one thousand times because of the post accomplishment.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Uncle Lynn's is probably what you are thinking of. It tragically burned to the ground in 2001 and has never been rebuilt. I think all that's left is Kickapoo, and I'm not sure that is still around.

By the way, guys, please, one favor -- no spanking me one thousand times because of the post accomplishment.

Yeah, I am pretty sure that Uncle Lynn's is the one being referred to by our friend, Miss Belle.

I went there once, but preferred Bills, as UL's made their cat THICK and chewy, and it often had a "fishy" taste to it! I always preferred the thin and crispy fried!

Spankins'? Uhhhhh, Case? I bet you don't know this, but we are comin' for you...and know where you live. It'll all be in good Lone Star fun, cos you make us proud to call you one of our own.

BUT? Be askeered...very askeered. Hee Hee...

Old 01-20-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I am pretty sure that Uncle Lynn's is the one being referred to by our friend, Miss Belle.

I went there once, but preferred Bills, as UL's made their cat THICK and chewy, and it often had a "fishy" taste to it! I always preferred the thin and crispy fried!

Spankins'? Uhhhhh, Case? I bet you don't know this, but we are comin' for you...and know where you live. It'll all be in good Lone Star fun, cos you make us proud to call you one of our own.

BUT? Be askeered...very askeered. Hee Hee...
I'm running, and I'm hiding under camouflage.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:38 PM

Smile Thank You

Once again, there aren't any adequate enough words to express thanks for your support and all of the good words. So I say thank you.

And I look forward to what the next thousand posts will bring.

Sincerely,

case44
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas