Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:08 AM

21 posts, read 17,816 times

Advertisements

I want to move back to TX, but I'm finding it hard to find a safe area I can afford. I'm an independent senior citizen with adequate but not large income. I don't want to be in a large city, but not in a tiny town that has few shopping choices and no where to go. Am I asking too much?

Last edited by dmandtruth; 08-11-2015 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: misspelled word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 06:53 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,087,407 times
What about Tyler, Texas are nearby? Look it up. Senior oriented, great medical care, near DFW, crime is mainly between minority groups or domestic. I could go on and on. Tyler information is my hobby. No it's not Utopia, but for a Texas comparison for what you probably need it's close. lol

Old 08-11-2015, 04:33 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,527,093 times
Tyler is ugly hot and extremely right wing. If I had to list the 5 worst places in Texas -- Tyler would be right there.

EL Paso always ranks among the safest cities in the US- despite being next to Mexico.

Rockport has lots of retired people and is very safe - pretty and the ocean areas are full of older people who like the ocean and fishing.

Ingleside is also especially safe.

I think Marfa is pretty safe - if you like the dry air and the Western part of the state.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:51 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,977,130 times
what budget?

Old 08-11-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Tyler is ugly hot and extremely right wing. If I had to list the 5 worst places in Texas -- Tyler would be right there.

EL Paso always ranks among the safest cities in the US- despite being next to Mexico.

Rockport has lots of retired people and is very safe - pretty and the ocean areas are full of older people who like the ocean and fishing.

Ingleside is also especially safe.

I think Marfa is pretty safe - if you like the dry air and the Western part of the state.
Notice, even being small, Tyler, has a sub-forum. Lots of positive interest in Tyler, far from ugly, but you are sorta correct on Conservative, which to some of you Progressive, "chuckle" libs makes it extremely ugly, lol.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:19 AM

No its ugly because of it being ugly. Even though its North it still has hot summers. I voted in more recent GOP Primaries than Dem however it has had the most laughable representation in both the Texas House and Congress. Its one thing to be conservative -quite another to be rabid.
(and you know what they say about those who ass-ume).

Old 08-18-2015, 02:08 PM

Gotta see what you it seems you mean is what you mean? By ugly, I mean landscape, trees, grass, flowers relatively clean, nice homes. Do you mean the people act ugly? I understand what your opinion is on being conservative. I know the saying about ass-ume but what has that got to do with, ugly? Being North has to do with being ugly, or for that matter being hot doesn't make something ugly, unless you really, really want to stretch it.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:19 PM

47 posts, read 50,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
No its ugly because of it being ugly. Even though its North it still has hot summers. I voted in more recent GOP Primaries than Dem however it has had the most laughable representation in both the Texas House and Congress. Its one thing to be conservative -quite another to be rabid.
(and you know what they say about those who ass-ume).
Independent?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:25 PM

540 posts, read 1,106,300 times
They wouldn't be the most scenic places in the world, but maybe:

Belton/Temple, TX - puts you close to Scott & White Hospital in Temple (now affiliated with Baylor I believe)

Weatherford, TX - about 20-30 minutes west of Fort Worth. Still has some affordable options now and in the surrounding area. Has a hospital and stores. Easy access to Fort Worth for more medical and shopping options.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:43 PM

Mark have you been to Rockport? It has a long coast line , many palm trees pelicans and dolphins. The ocean is fantastic except for some bays with jellyfish. There are islands, many varieties of birds and summer temps right on the water ( about 6 degrees cooler than downtown) are probably lower than Tyler. Now let's talk about winter.. LOL Rockport during Jan and Feb have most days in the 60's -- How's umm Tyler. To a person who has been to both places at least several times-- there is no comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas