Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 04:37 PM

525 posts, read 719,519 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about Baytown but it looks very affordable for Houston Metro Area. According to a few sources, the only con is the smell from oil refineries or whatever you call it.

The Golden Triangle (Beaumont-Port Arthur and suburbs) seems to be very affordable but the job market may not be that great.

I have been doing research because I am trying to decide between Austin and Houston Metro for future move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 10:10 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
My department head at work is from Baytown. He has nothing good to say about it. I go through Baytown pretty frequently, at least the part below 146. The area around the mall used to be quite nice, but now the mall is kind of run down. My opinion is that Baytown is a mixed bag. You had better be familiar with the neighborhood you are moving to before hand. There are some rough patches, that's for dang sure. I have relatives from SE Tx that moved to Mont Belvieu. They shop in Baytown, but Baytown wasn't even on their list when they were searching for places to live. It may be cheap, but you had better know what you are getting into.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:33 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,653 times
We lived in Baytown from 1988 to 1995, in the Pinehurst subdivision up on 146. We moved out to Winnie to be closer to care for both sets of our elderly parents (in Beaumont and Port Arthur), but looking back, we really enjoyed our time in Baytown. It was good to us.

Yes, today, Baytown is mixed bag. Most any city of its general size has its ups & downs. With that said, there are good, growing areas springing up. The OP asked about "cheapest place to live", and Baytown certainly fits. Again, doing ones homework is key if moving in. Ironically, Mont Belvieu used to be just an afterthought, but now it its spurring Baytowns new growth and revitalization to a large degree.

FWIW, I own a rental home in Baytown's Devinwood. I don't even have to advertise to rent it out. One sign placed in the yard, and literally 30 minuets later I had an ambitious tenant signing papers, and more calls still coming in. Location!

Old 01-29-2016, 10:09 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,458 times
Richmond Rosenberg Baytown Beaumont?

Old 02-01-2016, 10:53 AM

525 posts, read 719,519 times
Are any of the following Houston suburbs affordable: Mont Belvieu, Friendswood, League City, and Santa Fe?

Mont Belvieu is an ideal location to me because it is right off I-10 between Downtown Houston and Lamar University in Beaumont. However, I don't see any apartments other than Mont Belvieu Apartments with bad reviews.

I have classes at LU during weekends only so I don't think I would like to live in Beaumont Metro or rural marshy areas east of Mont Belvieu.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:15 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
You won't find much of anything in Mont Belvieu or Santa Fe. If you are willing to drive to Santa Fe, then also look at Dickinson. Lots more choices there, and a lot of Dickinson is nice. Friendswood and League City have a lot of apartment complexes, and you can likely find house rentals. I rented a room in a house for a while in League City. Shared with 2 other people - it was about $600 a month for me. If your classes are only on the weekend, then that won't be such a mind numbing drive. I make that drive about once a month. No way I would voluntarily do it daily.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:39 PM

195 posts, read 216,781 times
I would agree - Baytown. Or Conroe

Old 02-02-2016, 03:50 PM

111 posts, read 130,247 times
Living in a van down by any river is pretty affordable. My friend Matt Foley currently has a 1989 gmc van down by the colorado river.

He is renting out the backseat for $40 a month.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:58 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-HomeGirl View Post
Or Conroe
I agree. Re Conroe, probably better to be west of I-45 unless you can find a room to rent in a house in Stewart's Forest off Loop 336 South, in River Plantation, or in parts of The Woodlands (Harper's Preserve) or Imperial Oaks that are in the 77385 zip and thus have a Conroe mailing address.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:41 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
Is it even possible to attain 150k-180k housing in the Houston suburban statistical areas, with a school district safe enough and disciplined enough to empower your children to compete at the public 4 year college level without social strife, racial tensions or distractions in the classroom? What we have witnessed down here in the mexican dystopia of Del Rio has left us shell shocked, at any price point mind you.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong areas, but the idea one needs 300k housing costs as a baseline for middle class educational access is antithetical to the supposed promotion of Texas metros as an affordable place to raise a middle class family.

Also, as a generality, on a per dollar basis, which statistical area provides more school for the buck. San Antonio MSA or Houston MSA? We are flexible on location right now (wife aspires to be a nurse, I'm on the airline pilot track), so researching options to escape the absolute hell that has been living in the craphole Mexican border cesspool of Del Rio. We also recognize our unwillingness to live a savings less or house poor lifestyle, limits our options. I wouldn't be opposed to private schools if safe schools can't be attained for under 200 in either area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas