Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:01 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
LOL!! Good one.....

Someone asked me how I like being a New Mexican.....I just told them that I was very glad to be here around the mountains...but that I was a transplanted Texan!!
Hey, I am a transplanted New Mexican living in Texas (naturalized Texan) by way of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 10:07 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Hey, I am a transplanted New Mexican living in Texas (naturalized Texan) by way of Chicago.
LOL!!!

I find Alamogordo much more like West Texas than New Mexico, but it is a very nice blend! But if I ever return to Texas to live, it's going to be down around Alpine, if I have anything to say about it. I cannot imagine living in a place with no mountains again, ever.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
LOL!!!

I find Alamogordo much more like West Texas than New Mexico, but it is a very nice blend! But if I ever return to Texas to live, it's going to be down around Alpine, if I have anything to say about it. I cannot imagine living in a place with no mountains again, ever.
I loved the mountains, I was born in Albuquerque. The Sandia Mountains, when I lived there, were viewed from my back yard, completely unobstructed. Dallas is sooooo flat. Landing at DFW on a clear day makes it look so flat, you can see the Dallas skyline out of one side of the plane and Ft. Worth out the other, with no topographic relief anywhere.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:52 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,738 times
Quote:
How do you like San Angelo? I grew up 80 miles southwest of there, and we used to go all of the time for shopping, movies, medical, etc.
I like it very much. After 21 years in the Navy, I've lived in 5 states and 4 other countries. But I decided to retire here. Speaks volumes for the city, I think. And it's growing nicely. Getting some good businesses coming in with the slower influx or problems. I would rather be where spring and fall last more than 3 days, but I wouldn't give up the friendliness and pace of this city for weather. I can always visit snow and more mild summers.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I loved the mountains, I was born in Albuquerque. The Sandia Mountains, when I lived there, were viewed from my back yard, completely unobstructed. Dallas is sooooo flat. Landing at DFW on a clear day makes it look so flat, you can see the Dallas skyline out of one side of the plane and Ft. Worth out the other, with no topographic relief anywhere.
Yes, Albuquerque and vicinity are really neat, wonderful mountain views.....but the city has grown so much that I didn't consider it because of the sheer size! I liked it (as well as EP and LC) much better 20 years ago!! I could never handle DFW.....either size-wise or climate!

Old 05-05-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I like it very much. After 21 years in the Navy, I've lived in 5 states and 4 other countries. But I decided to retire here. Speaks volumes for the city, I think. And it's growing nicely. Getting some good businesses coming in with the slower influx or problems. I would rather be where spring and fall last more than 3 days, but I wouldn't give up the friendliness and pace of this city for weather. I can always visit snow and more mild summers.
Sounds like you found your place!! It is just unfortunate that the nights don't cool off as much as they once did in WT.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, Albuquerque and vicinity are really neat, wonderful mountain views.....but the city has grown so much that I didn't consider it because of the sheer size! I liked it (as well as EP and LC) much better 20 years ago!! I could never handle DFW.....either size-wise or climate!
I left Alb in 1964. We backed up to the last street (Comanche) with any development on it. nothing on the other side but the mesa and then the mountains. I was back there in 1977 to see that it had been developed way up into the mountains.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I left Alb in 1964. We backed up to the last street (Comanche) with any development on it. nothing on the other side but the mesa and then the mountains. I was back there in 1977 to see that it had been developed way up into the mountains.
It has certainly changed over the years.....I first saw ABQ and NM in general in the late 1950s, on vacation.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
It has certainly changed over the years.....I first saw ABQ and NM in general in the late 1950s, on vacation.
I was there in the 50s, just for one of them (1959). But I had not yet developed my capacity to retain memories at that time. That probably came sometime after, IIRC, 1962 - 63.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:50 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
And although some of us were born in another state, we were STILL born Texan... just didn't know it until we moved here!!!
That describes me to a "T"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas