Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has character and awsome scenery
Longview 10 24.39%
Nacogdoches 15 36.59%
Lufkin 3 7.32%
Neither 13 31.71%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 10:03 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Thanks for these figures. I've seen you post these over the years.

Where do you find these figures on line?

Did you include the 14 story Stretford Tyler Condo in the Cascades on the West Loop?

The 2 buildings on the South Loop, I'd have to drive by to get their names

The ETMC Medical Tower on Becham -ETMC Olympic Center is part of it.

The newer Louis and Peaches Heart Hospital part of Trinity Mother Francis Hospital

The Bank of America building on far South Broadway, not the 22 story one downtown.

Just curious as to your source so I can look these up one day also.

Thanks
I was just going off of Emporis' website.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:31 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Have you really spent much time in Tyler. Most people from DFW and Houston really like Tyler. Oh, you could drive to Dallas from Tyler, closer to Houston than Nac. easier drive too. Just kidin' on the last part. But the difference in Tyler is much greater than I think you are aware. Just my opinion, but I could go on with facts. But it would be like you comparing Corpus to Houston, or something like that. Not to open up a whole new comparison of this place to that place, oh me, what have I done?
I'm not a Tyler expert, but I've been there enough to know that it really wouldn't suit my preferred lifestyle any better than Nacogdoches. Both places are already too small for me, so if I'm going to live in one it might as well be the more beautiful, younger city that's closer to Houston.

If Tyler were about 3 times larger then it would be a no brainer. I'd move there in a heartbeat. But right now there isn't enough of a difference in size for me to favor it.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I do. Nacogdoches has a younger population than Tyler, which means it would be easier to find people with similar interests.
OK, that works for you. I moved with my kids to Tyler when I was in my early 30s and it was a great fit for me. I wasn't looking for a college or party town - I was looking for a family friendly small city that was situated within an easy drive of a big metro (DFW). So it's great that you can find what you want elsewhere and it's great that I can find what I want in Tyler. Everyone wins!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-17-2016 at 06:12 PM..

Old 03-17-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Ywah, but junior college =/= university, in the grand scope of things.

As it turns out Nacogdoches may actually be the most educated town in East Texas, with 31.5% of the population holding a bachelor degree or higher; compared to Tyler with 28.5% and Longview at 17.8%.
The stats I found say that Nac has a BA/BS percentage of 30.4.

Tyler TX Education data, attainment, graduates, school, college

And Tyler's at 29 percent.

An insignificant difference in my opinion, but yay for Nac.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:02 PM

577 posts, read 512,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

You would think that with such a major university, that those citizens of NAC, that are in need of courses in statistics, sentence structure, reading comprehension, and persuasive writing, would take advantage of being in such a location.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:37 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:

My percentages come from the City Data info page for each city.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:58 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,470 times
I like Tyler because as a city it cater to the older crowd which one day I will be older and like the slow traffic and slow pace in general but when you are in NAC area it runs at a fast pace like traffic if you don't want to hit the lights you can get on the interstate an commute.Ok with Tyler you have no choice and that is annoying to me but some like it.The toll way was a was of money that could have been spent on the loop 323 as freeway and yes there is room because the state all ways have there ways of making room for things like that.

My opinion is that the toll would be thriving if it took you north to south from south 69 coming and merge to the left or the right to the loop which have brought more money in the toll booths.
I promise if it was set up like Beaumont a city similar in size it would work greater but a city like Tyler can grow only with extra tolls in the future because of all the traffic problems.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
I like Tyler because as a city it cater to the older crowd which one day I will be older and like the slow traffic and slow pace in general but when you are in NAC area it runs at a fast pace like traffic if you don't want to hit the lights you can get on the interstate an commute.Ok with Tyler you have no choice and that is annoying to me but some like it.The toll way was a was of money that could have been spent on the loop 323 as freeway and yes there is room because the state all ways have there ways of making room for things like that.

My opinion is that the toll would be thriving if it took you north to south from south 69 coming and merge to the left or the right to the loop which have brought more money in the toll booths.
I promise if it was set up like Beaumont a city similar in size it would work greater but a city like Tyler can grow only with extra tolls in the future because of all the traffic problems.
That's just not true though.

There are tons of non toll roads being built in Tyler, especially to the west and south. And so many new shopping areas and neighborhoods that it's hard to keep up with! And that doesn't even include thousands of new apartment units, hotels, etc.

And the toll road DOES take you north to south, intersecting with 69 as well as I-20. I use the toll road nearly every day. Now I can get from Chandler (due west of Tyler on 31) to the huge new shopping complex on south Broadway (Hwy 69) on the loop, in 12 minutes. That drive would have taken me about 25 minutes at least before the loop.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:32 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
Quote:

There are tons of non toll roads being built in Tyler, especially to the west and south. And so many new shopping areas and neighborhoods that it's hard to keep up with! And that doesn't even include thousands of new apartment units, hotels, etc.

And the toll road DOES take you north to south, intersecting with 69 as well as I-20. I use the toll road nearly every day. Now I can get from Chandler (due west of Tyler on 31) to the huge new shopping complex on south Broadway (Hwy 69) on the loop, in 12 minutes. That drive would have taken me about 25 minutes at least before the loop.
Last year, wish I would have posted the article from the paper to support my comment, but just under 30,000 transactions, PER DAY, on the Loop 49 Toll road, more than twice the expected numbers after two years completion of the toll road from I-20 to High. 110 near Whitehouse, approx. 24 miles.

This should shorten the time before the other two lanes are added. But this want be anytime soon. The next section to be completed or started will be around the westside of Lindale to connect 69 to the North of Lindale, I think? to start later this year.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:50 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,470 times
Quote:

Whats not true?

Did u understand anything I was saying?

Tyler should have put the tollway north to south instead of outside the loop 323.
Yes it maybe it is a closer commute for you from Chandler to the shop on the south but going from US69 south to loop 323 would had more volume of traffic I promise.Tyler has the most traffic by the south area in the shopping district and on the south loop get my point.A waste of money if you ask me for something to grow to progress when it would have been jumping with cars in my mind from south US69 to the loop and then from I-20 to the north loop for passbyers to get a glimpse of the city and still see the city scene ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas