Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has character and awsome scenery
Longview 10 24.39%
Nacogdoches 15 36.59%
Lufkin 3 7.32%
Neither 13 31.71%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 01:59 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,876 times

Advertisements

[quote=Mark Senior;43384646]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post

You misunderstood and then added something, which not unusual to make Nac look better, larger. But you are being a little be fairer, I will hand it to you.

However if you will reread, I did not say UT Tyler had or would have 20,000 to 22,000 students. Read again. As far as I know the Bank of America downtown Tyler has 22 stories. The Dorms on SFA campus, I really don't know. You can support that if you want add something to the subject. Like proof of how many feet tall are each? You're doing better keep up the good work.
Mark you keep up the good work and thank god for google ok here is stats.

SFA 13,000 STUDENTS

UT of Tyler 6,000 STUDENTS

SFA URBAN 409 ACRES

UT of Tyler SUBURBAN 204 ACRES

Thanks to google lol

So SFA is twice the size in enrollement and acreage lol really Mark let it go but very good!

SFA is URBAN and major and UTof Tyler is suburban yes suburban just to make sure you get the pic!

Old 03-17-2016, 02:10 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post

SFA 13,000 STUDENTS

SFA URBAN 409 ACRES

Thanks to google lol

So SFA is twice the size in enrollement and acreage lol really Mark let it go but very good!

SFA is URBAN and major and UTof Tyler is suburban yes suburban just to make sure you get the pic!
First SFA was a "major" university.. Now it's an "urban" university too..? I don't even know where to start..

Old 03-17-2016, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
First SFA was a "major" university.. Now it's an "urban" university too..? I don't even know where to start..
Google and just know that UT of tyler isn't lol

Old 03-17-2016, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Well SFA has an enrollment of 11,600...and TJC has an enrollment of 12,000, so technically................ .. .
Ya numbers wrong 13,000 students ok proceed.......

Old 03-17-2016, 04:33 AM

I think Tyler is for retirees and thats it no biggie.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:35 AM

Oh yea Sam club is talking about building a shopping center on the south end of Nac with other variety of stores and Ulta is coming to Lufkin.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:29 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
I'm not a Nacogdoches resident, but I do see it as a town with potential, and, yes, it would be my first choice if I were to ever consider East Texas as a place to live. I think it's prettier and the demographics are more appealing. For the few things Tyler has that Nac doesn't, I might as well just drive to Houston.

All I've really discussed in regards to Nacogdoches' population are the facts. Numbers don't lie but people do.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:52 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
[quote=dee936;43385988]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post

SFA 13,000 STUDENTS

SFA URBAN 409 ACRES

Thanks to google lol

Dee, read below:
Tyler because the city sit south of the gold spot and have had many years to annex I-20 and proceed to major city but choose not to.

That shows that Tyler is ran by people who want it to be just a large town.

I agree, with this, you are getting much fairer and accurate in some of your recent posts. That's all I have been asking. Thanks

Yes, all my life, a long one now. Tyler leaders have chosen on purpose not to push for growth at any cost as many cities do. Even in earlier years actually discourage growth. An example as I have said before the leaders have resisted the highway departments offers, over the years, to improve traffic, by building overpasses on the loop at most of the major intersections. Tyler leaders said no thanks, for two reasons, the 20% of the cost that the city would have to pay, even if the state paid 80%. The second and most important reason is, the city leaders feel, more easy access, mobility would encourage faster growth, controlled growth is what Tyler wants, but rapid growth, is simply not acceptable.

The city has chosen, since an election voted on by citizens in 1995 not to use any sales or city property taxes on economic development, specially spending those tax revenues on direct job creation. That means no dollar amount will be paid directly to a company for any future jobs to be created in Tyler. Yes, Tyler offers tax abatements like most all cities offer.

The benefit of this attitude of leadership, voted and approved by citizens is the current city tax rate of about .22 cents per 100 valuation. Lowest of any city in Texas of a population of 17,000 or more. The city started that tax reduction plan in 1995 came about by spending city revenues only for specific items which resulted in a reduction in the city tax rate of more than 300%, three times. Started this in 1995 and reached the current rate about 5 years ago.

This low rate caused Tyler to receive statewide attention from other city leaders. Our city manager, with his implementation of the spending and other measures, interviewed for city manager of Fort Worth. All five final candidates there, were not chosen and Fort Worth started the search prospect again.

But because of Tyler city managers recognition he became the Assistant City Manager in Dallas a few years ago.

I guess I pointed all this out to say. Being the fastest growing or being recognized as boom town USA is not, sometimes, what all citizens want all time.

Oh, this is one of the many reasons I feel Tyler is not just a "AVERAGE" city for it's size, at least not in Texas. Others I've said before so I want repeat, repeat, myself.

Later

Oh, U.T. Tyler does not have just 6,000, but I did see that on line somewhere, the fall enrollment was around 8,800 and as I said growing at about 500 per year. University officials hope to be at about 14,000 in 2025, but never intend or will push to just make it bigger, trying to get more quality students and programs as well.

Last edited by Mark Senior; 03-17-2016 at 08:01 AM..

Old 03-17-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I'm not a Nacogdoches resident, but I do see it as a town with potential, and, yes, it would be my first choice if I were to ever consider East Texas as a place to live. I think it's prettier and the demographics are more appealing. For the few things Tyler has that Nac doesn't, I might as well just drive to Houston.

All I've really discussed in regards to Nacogdoches' population are the facts. Numbers don't lie but people do.

Have you really spent much time in Tyler. Most people from DFW and Houston really like Tyler. Oh, you could drive to Dallas from Tyler, closer to Houston than Nac. easier drive too. Just kidin' on the last part. But the difference in Tyler is much greater than I think you are aware. Just my opinion, but I could go on with facts. But it would be like you comparing Corpus to Houston, or something like that. Not to open up a whole new comparison of this place to that place, oh me, what have I done?

Old 03-17-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Tyler has 7 buildings (252', 202', 187', 180', 150', 150', 142') taller than SFA's two 10 story dorms (122').

Thanks for these figures. I've seen you post these over the years.

Where do you find these figures on line?

Did you include the 14 story Stretford Tyler Condo in the Cascades on the West Loop?

The 2 buildings on the South Loop, I'd have to drive by to get their names

The ETMC Medical Tower on Becham -ETMC Olympic Center is part of it.

The newer Louis and Peaches Heart Hospital part of Trinity Mother Francis Hospital

The Bank of America building on far South Broadway, not the 22 story one downtown.

Just curious as to your source so I can look these up one day also.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas