Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2016, 04:43 PM

286 posts, read 294,875 times

Advertisements

how bad is the humidity in texas in the summer? dallas, austin and san antonio are all among my favorite cities to move to, but the only thing stopping me is the humidity.

i hear mix things everyone says texas summers are hot and long, which is fine i can deal with a heat if its dry like vegas or phoenix . some say texas is dry and others say its humid and oppressive which is it? and does it differ in dallas vs austin vs san antonio

and if its humid is it bearable or is it as bad as florida/ new orleans where you can't go outside and go to your mailbox without feeling like you jumped in a pool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 04:59 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Before this can of worms is opened again, do a forum search .

Old 03-18-2016, 05:32 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
The worst humidity is in Houston. But Houston weather is similar to New Orleans, and tourism does not stop in new Orleans in any month of the year. Not even July or August. The other Texas cities are just as hot but slightly less humid.

I second the forum search.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Houston is about as humid as New Orleans. The other cities - not as humid but still hot hot hot hot hot and sticky in the summertime.

If heat and humidity bother you, the major metros in Texas may not be a fit. They bother some people more than others. For instance, I am from New Orleans originally and therefore the Texas heat and humidity don't bother me much at all. In fact, I'd rather deal with the heat index in the summer than bad winter weather elsewhere.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:45 PM

40 posts, read 45,737 times
As far as heat and humidity goes, Houston has the highest humidity of the four major Texas cities, but it also has the coolest summer temps (average high in the low 90s maximum throughout summer), and receives the most summer thunderstorms. Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas all are less humid, but have distinctively hotter temps, with less rainfall.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:01 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
I live in Dallas and was raised in southwest Louisiana. I lived in Houston awhile, also.

Houston is very humid, with lots of mosquitos. It's similar to where I'm from.

Dallas' humidity is, I believe, actually normal. But people from dry areas may think it's humid, and people from humid areas may think it's dry. I thought it was very dry here when I first moved here (being from a very humid, subtropical climate).

In the summer, Dallas humidity is normal to very low. It doesn't rain much at all (droughts are common), and the sun is very bright. So the climate is dry at that time. Houston gets hot, sun not so bright, it rains more, so is not dry.

I'm not sure about San Antonio. Austin is, like Dallas, very very hot in the summer. Very. And dry to normal, but not humid, as I recall (to me).

The average humidity is given in City-Data stats, I believe. That is also provided in other stats of cities on the internet.

Look for this: If it rains somewhere a lot, that's probably a humid climate. If it doesn't rain much, probably dry to normal. It doesn't rain much in Dallas. It rains a LOT in Houston.

The real estate is cheaper in San Antonio, and it's bigger than Dallas. Don't know what it's like to live there, though. Dallas has a great economy that is diverse, as well.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:55 PM

286 posts, read 294,875 times
Thank you pollen I appreciate it , deff clarified some things for me .

Old 03-18-2016, 07:57 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMatrix View Post
As far as heat and humidity goes, Houston has the highest humidity of the four major Texas cities, but it also has the coolest summer temps (average high in the low 90s maximum throughout summer), and receives the most summer thunderstorms. Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas all are less humid, but have distinctively hotter temps, with less rainfall.
This is a great assessment.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:06 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
The only really dry major metro in Texas is El Paso.....the rest are more humid than Cruces,Phoenix,ABQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas